Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Two different Remington Premier performances.....

1487 Views 31 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Robert Berglund
Ok Guys, tell me that I got ripped off with some old Remington Premier ammo, and that's why my grouping suddenly went to crap. I'd rather hear that, then to wonder if the reticle on my 24X Redfield scope has broken loose.

I was grouping beautifully into 1 1/4" - 1 3/8" at 100 yards with my cardboard boxed premier ammo that has the green tip. Well, I ran out of that ammo, and opened up a new plastic see through box of Premier Ammo I purchased at a new Gander Mountain store. This stuff has tan tips and shot 3" groups!!! (and I'm the sucker that bought it for $10.95!!!) Jeeez... out of desperation I tossed that stuff to the side and tried other ammo. I found the 50 grain CCI shoots circles around this Remington ammo!

I've heard the old Remington Premier was bad stuff. Is the plastic box and tan tip the description of what this old poorly performing ammo looked like?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2,334 Posts
Remington Premier

I see changes in the Remington Premier almost from box to box. While I think that the Remington Premier are the most consistantly acurate rounds out of my rifle, it seems that only about three boxes in five shoot the way they should.

· Registered
1,898 Posts
Yep. I have noticed some dented brass. Also brass with rings from something in the premiers I have bought as of late. I sure hope that it is just a bad batch. I have been shooting my 10/22 mag the most lately. It prefers the Rem 40 HP over the premiers and that stuff has been real good. I am looking forward to trying some new CCI Gamepoints.

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Their is obviously a huge packaging difference though between a see-through plastic box, and a paper box with the black egg crate holder.

So far I had fired 100 rounds from out of two of the paper boxed ammo packages and they were great. They both had "new" printed on the box.

I'm hoping this plastic box is from an old run.That would explain the dismal performance.

You've got to be carefull with Gander Mountain and know what you are buying. You should see the crap load of "J" Lock Remingtons that this new store is stocked with. It seems the big retail discounters like this can be used as dumping grounds by the manufacturers to more easilly get rid of the left over stock of reject stuff the manufactures must liquidate.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
The plastic boxes you describe are the new batches of ammo made by CCI. They supply all of Remingtons rimfire ammo now. I really hate to hear this, as my Marlin 922 loves the Remington Premiers. I just bought two of the new boxes last weekend. The old ammo some people talk about had "REM" stamped into the head of the cartridge. The "new" stuff just had an "R" stamped on it. I think CCI made these too, and the changing of the headstamp from "REM" to "R" was the changing from Remington manufacture to CCI manufacture.

Chunckchucker

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm......just doesn't make sence to me why the Paper Box stuff marked "New" and worked great (and everybody says worked great for them too)would be discontinued already to produce ammo that's junk!

I'm going to call up the store that was carrying the paper box stuff. I hope they will tell me that the stuff marked "New" will continue to be around. If they tell me what you're telling me that this plastic box junk is the replacement, then Remington's going to hear from me on the phone.

I'd still like to know how some "old" premier stuff looked and was packaged. (last year I didn't own a 22 mag rifle, and don't know what the old Premier stuff looked like) When I say the old stuff, I'm talking about premier ammo discussed on threads found in the archives here. Folks say it was just awfull. I'm assuming it was discontinued for the green tipped stuff in the paper box that is marked "New" that was available recently. (maybe still is?) I can't believe they would discontinue the good "New" stuff and revert to junk again.

· Registered
680 Posts
From what I have seen in my 22 mags the Remington 33 grain Premier rounds shoot very well at 50 - 75 yards but they seem to really open up past this. At 100 yards they seem terrible.

Lot to variations seem to take wild swings with the lighter bullets. I've come to the conclusion the lighter bullets loads must be more picky about their velocity. Bullet velocity has a direct effect on changing barrel harmonics.

I've chronograph many 22 mag loads over the years and its not to unusual to see near 100 FPS (avg) difference between lots over years on the lighter bullets.

When the federal 30 grain Sierra came out in the 90s. The 1st year or so they shot real good in all my 22 mags. Many were shooting under an inch at 100 yards even different lots. Than suddenly I started getting real bad groups on newer lots. Pulled out the chronograph they were now averaging 150 to 175 FPS faster than the original lots when chronograph on the same day. I'm betting they got a new lot of powder and the charge was not adjusted by velocity as it should have been.

It seems like the 40 grain bullets seem to be the most consistent from lot to lot over the 30 years I have been shooting the 22 mag. If you can find a 40 grain bullet that your rifle likes you might be better off using 40 grain bullets. I think that 22 mag ammo makers such as Rem should have gone to at least a 36 - 38 grain V Max style of bullet as opposed to a 33 grain bullet.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
22ingaround, the "0ld" Remington Premiers looked identical to the "New" Premiers. The only difference was the headstamp. They were marked with a "REM" on it. The new ones have/had "R" stamped on it. The boxes were identical and both had that little yellow blob with "New!" in it. The only way you could tell them apart was the headstamp, and the way they shot.

Chunckchucker

· Registered
1,551 Posts
By the way, you can bet the bank that the new stuff will come in those plastic boxes. I know, I have shot both versions with cardboard boxes. Buy what you can when you can cause there ain't no more. All of the new stuff will come in those plastic boxes.

Chunckchucker

· Registered
1,898 Posts
The paper box stuff is new. The Old stuff with the "REM" stamp should be long gone by now. Just recently they started packaging all rem 22 magnum rimfiire rounds in plastic slide top boxes. Even the 40 grain stuff. The newest batch of rem premiers has tan colored tips.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
There have been 3 runs of this ammo. The first, is the old ammo everyone hates. It came in a green and gold cardboard box with a little gold sticker looking thing with "NEW!" on it. It had "REM" stamped on the headstamp. They had green tips. I believe this ammo was made by Remington. The second run had the exact same box, but the headstamp was stamped "R". They had green tips. I believe this ammo to be made by CCI, and it has shot great for me and alot of other people. This is the ammo that 22ingaround likes. Yes this is the newer stuff but is now giving way to the clear plastic boxed stuff. The third run is now being produced by CCI, comes in a clear plastic box with green and gold stickers on it. They have gold/tan tips instead of green.

Chunckchucker

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Chunkchucker and chum,

Thank you for filling me in on the recent history of the Premier Ammunition. You have answered my question and cleared up any confusion I have had about the packaging and what's what. Now I understand how the 3 different Premier ammo's were produced and packaged, and know what I'm looking at when I see it on store shelves.

They can change the superficial packaging all they want, and it wouldn't matter to me. BUT WHAT A MAJOR SCREW UP IT WAS IN CHANGING WHAT'S IN THE PACKAGE. I will contact Remington and try to get an answer as to why they would do this, and see if I can get these jack-asses to reverse course. At $10.99 a box, it's now went from the best performing ammo in my rifle to one of the worse performing cartridges in my rifle. I would be very surprised to hear anybody tell me that it remains shooting just fine in their rifle. When you have a product like Coke that works and sells, you can add to the line and offer Vanilla Coke, or Cherry Coke, BUT YOU DON'T SCREW WITH THE PRODUCT.

Smoky; BTW, The Winchester 34 grain Supreme and the paper boxed 33 grain Premier were both often shooting dime size clusters at 50 yards. But the Premiers stayed together tighter at 100 yards then the Supreme. (often.... much tighter) Now the most accurate groups I can get at 100 yards are with the 50 grain CCI. I guess I'll go test the CCI 50 grainers at the 50 yard range. I don't know how they work close up at 50. I imagine most any ammo that does well at 100 yards should do even better at shorter ranges. If there's anything positive to be said about the CCI 50 grainers is I imagine at 100 yards they will hit the prey like it was struck by a falling star, when compared to the 33 grain Premiers.

· Registered
594 Posts
My 597 magnum is a real tack driver with those 33gr vmax.I was shooting a bunch of digger squirrels last week and boy they sure blow up after ya hit em!I still have a bunch of the NEW stuff with all the shells marked R.The green tip one.After reading this thread I did go to my local store and by 1 box yesterday just to start re supplying where I can still get it.Cause if this NEW brown tip clear plastic box stuff don't shoot worth a hoot I am gonna be upset when I'm out! :( Keep us informed what ya all can find out about the new brown tip stuff before we all waste our money on it. :mad:

· Registered
594 Posts
Ok I went to another sporting goods store today.All they had was the new ones in the plastic box.The fella took several off the shelf for me to look at as I never seen the brown tip ones.He said I think some have green tips too.Sure enough in the clear plastic some had green and some had brown tips.Now I really don't know what to think without buyin it too shoot. :confused: Have any one else seen the green tips in the new clear plastic boxes too????

· Registered
1,898 Posts
trapper bill said:
Have any one else seen the green tips in the new clear plastic boxes too????
Yep. The Brown ones have just appeared lately. I have some around somewhere but can't seem to find them. They can't be all that bad.

· Registered
95 Posts
Greetings trapper bill, My Remington is quite a tack driver as well, (guess we got the only two that shoot well :D ) I have about 2000 rounds of the original green tip ammo in the green box and just bought 1000 rounds of the newer stuff in the plastic slide top box with the brownish tip.
Last week I took 50 rounds of the green tip and 50 rounds of the brown tip to the 100 yard range AND found the brown just as good as the green.
Mine is stock and wears a Leupold 3X9 Tacticle scope with a target dot.
Good shooting to you,
Robert

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Robert Berglund said:
Greetings trapper bill, My Remington is quite a tack driver as well, (guess we got the only two that shoot well :D ) I have about 2000 rounds of the original green tip ammo in the green box and just bought 1000 rounds of the newer stuff in the plastic slide top box with the brownish tip.
Robert
You bought another 1,000 rounds of ammo when you already have 2,000 rounds of it?

· Registered
594 Posts
OK thank you Chum and Robert.My 597 has a weaver rimfire 2-7 scope on it and a jarvis trigger.Thats all I've dome to mine.It really likes this ammo so when I seen this post I had to see what the scoop was.I called in a bobcat in Feb.and shot the heart out and blew the lungs apart .I did a autopsy on it after I skinned it out to see what kinda internal damage it does on bigger size predators :D So from what I've seen on paper and critters with this stuff I don't want nothing to change. :cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.