Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was turkey hunting and had located a gobbler on the roost. I slipped in one him and set out a hen and a jake decoy. I had picked a tree to sit under before placing my decoys, but was unable to get to it because I realized that I had gotten too close to the gobbler. So I ended up sitting under a tree that put my decoys about 8-10 yards to my left (not exactly what I had in mind). As luck would have it the gobbler flew down and walked off. Didn't like my turkey talk! About 30 minutes after sunrise, I heard a group of hens to my left about 60 to 70 yards still on the roost getting excited. I figured that they were about to fly down, so I began scanning the ground underneath the trees which has quite a few cedars mixed in. I saw some movement about 40 yards to my left that turned out to be two coyotes. The were sniffing around and headed my way. I figured that my turkey hunting was over for the day, so I decided that I'd try to shoot one or both yotes if possible. One of them trotted right in front of me at about 15 yards. I was unable to swing on him because a sappling in front of me. I turn to look at the other one just in time to see him pause momentarily. In an instant the yote dropped it's head and bolted right toward me. I was camo'd up in "leafy flage". The yote nailed my hen decoy which was right on line with me and the yote. After knocking the decoy almost to where I was sitting, I think the yote saw me and made a hard right to go behind me. I wasn't even able to shoulder my gun all the way before I shot. I hit the yote at less than 5 yards rolling him over. He jumped right up and started yelping like a hurt dog and spinning around like he was chasing his tail. It move away about 15 yards before I could shoot it in the head. My first shot had basically blown his jaw off (3" 2 ounce #6 turkey load). I know this reads like a book, but I can not get over how fast this all happened. Once the yote locked on to that decoy, it was over quick. I know that a yote would not normally attack a human, but I believe had it wanted a chunk of me, it would have got it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Did ya happen to check your heart rate

Wow,that must have been insane!I would have loved to have seen that.:t :t

I wonder what went through the yotes mind when he realized you were sittin' there.probably somethin like: OOOH SH___!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Re: Did ya happen to check your heart rate

hapnin said:
Re: Did ya happen to check your heart rate
Forget heart rate did you check your pants. :) :)

haha.

Awesome story. It is awesome when wildlife is right next you and they have no idea.

Last summer, I bought a rabbit squel wanting to try, it I drove out to a trail I new had a powerline across it. I drove to the highline and looked. Field 300 yards from the road underneth the highlines. I made it to the edge and of the highlines and sat down and broke off some brush so I could shoot, back up against a big pine tree. Small brush the size of a pen in front of me. Waited about 10 min. before I even started calling and a fawn came running full boar out the other side deadbolt for all hell right at me and the little tunnel of brush i broke off. I cringed cuase I picture this deer stepping on me. Sure enough this fawn went right by me less than a foot. Dirt hit me off of its hoof. I could have reached out and grabbed its outside leg. 45 seconds later it back on the other side just as close. Then stopped in front all of 10 yards. A doe trotted out the other side. The fawn walked in a circle around the doe as she walked up less than 10 feet in front of me and turned broadside and looked away. Then she pissed. I could smell it she was so close. I could of as easlier reached out and poked her with my gun barrel as shootin her. I sat in awe as they walked and grazed in front of me.
All of sudden the doe bolted on the same trail as the fawn did earlier. Less than an arm length. The fawn did the same except on the other side of me. Less than an arm length.
I waited about 3min and wailed on my call. I heard them full bolt coming at be from behind. The doe locked up the brake on the tree right behind. Leaves, and dirt flew infront of me as she stopped. She weezed, scaring the crap out of me, and I saw snot hit the brush along side me. And then she turned and was gone.

That was awesome.

Dean_311

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd recon

It don't get no better than having wild animals within touchin distance.

I was out stalkin deer last bow season,and had three does coming down the trail toward me.I stopped and shifted sideways behind a big oak right next to the trail.they just kept comin' and pretty soon the lead doe was within elbowing distance,I could have waited for them to pass and then shoot one,but instead I jumped from behind the tree and said 'BOO'.Man you should have seen em,all three fell straight down tryin to turn around,and ran right into each other.That was the funniest thing I've ever seen.
Afterwards I was thinkin that it wouldn't have been so funny for her to just run right over me.OUCH!:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes my heart rate went way up and the adrenaline was flowing. It took me about 20 minutes to calm down and remove my seat cushion. I think that I forgot to mention in my novel that there was a third coyote that I had not seen until I shot. I have to admit, I was pretty paranoid the rest of the hunt. I plan on going back with a predator call before long. Need to get rid of those things before the turkeys go on the nest. Maybe I can get my 77/17 involved.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Had a funny experience on Flinders Island 2 years ago. I was in an improvised hide, whistling in foxs, when all of a sudden I heard a loud swarking
Gobble,Gobble,Gobble,Gobble.

Now that scared the liveing heck out of me.

I swung around and saw this Feral North American turkey.

I swung up the 12Ga/.223 Savage combination and aimed the redot for the turkeys head and fired.

I zipped that ugly turkey in the head at only 20 metres away, with the .223.

Now that made a real mess, packed away the gun, gathered up the turkey and took it back to the farm.

It was promptly plucked and set in the smoke house over-night.

MMMMMMM-smoked turkey, yum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.