Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I've had good luck Turkey hunting just with calls, (favorite being diaphram reeds), I noticed wingsupply has Featherflex decoys on-sale. Since I'll be hunting a new spot this spring I thought I might check out a set. Has anyone used this brand? Opinions?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes, Feather flex are a good brand. It really depends on where you are hunting. If other hunters have hunted there with decoys it will probally scare them. I have lost 3 turkeys so far because they see the decoys and turn around, putt, and run off. My first turkey was by calling him in with my grandpas old box call. No decoys, 24pds 5oz, 12 1/2in beard.;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I won't hunt turkeys without my dekes. I used feather-flex for years but I have switched to the inflatable Sceery dekes as of last year. The inflatables are much easier to carry. I have had longbeards attack my feather flex decoys, so I am especially careful to shoot gobblers before they get to my new inflatable dekes! The only problem is, I shot one of the inflatables last year while in the process of bagging a longbeard. Fortunately they include patching material and glue with the Sceerys! You will be pleased with feather-flex, I believe. They fold up pretty well and the paint stays on them pretty well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I never go to the woods without at least one decoy. If the turks in your area are spooky, (spookier than normal) try alot of soft calling, ie: push-pull calls, soft yelps, purrs and putts that will usually work here in Oklahoma, i mostly hunt the easterns. ans I dont know that I've ever lost a bird BECAUSE of a decoy, not saying that other hunters havent, just dont think I have (yet). also try the breeding pair early in the season. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
1 Posts
danurve

I bought a FeatherFlex decoy from Dick's at the end of April last year. I think I paid about $8 for it on sale. Not a bad decoy for that kind of money. The thing I don't like about it is that the stake pokes a hole in the top of the decoy. If you're not careful, you'll put a new hole in the decoy each time you set it up. I ended up putting a pretty big tear in mine last year trying to set it up in a hurry.

I've got a couple of Carry-Lite decoys that I bought from Cabela's.
I like these a lot better. The stake is permanently attached to the decoy, and they're a lot more durable. 'Course they're $22 each, too.

I see we're from the same neck of the woods. Where do you like to hunt?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slicker; I usually hunt southern wanye co., but I sometimes get into cortland co., going to be looking for a new place to camp and hunt this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.