Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah,......................right!

Tell that to my Remington 582!

I bought this one used, but in very good condition for $139 recently. Added a Weaver 2X7 Rimfire classic scope for $125 and shot some Winchester T22 standard velocity rounds that I had paid $1.99 a box for. So, we're looking at $265 total for the rifle and the scope and some very inexpensive ammo.

I just went down and remeasured the 5-shot group again, that I shot at 50 yards less than 2 weeks ago. Outside to Outside was LESS than .5 inch less the .20 bullet diameter, means that puppy shot just UNDER .3 inches at 50 yards with Joe-Blow ammo.

Not bad.

Now, make no mistake. I am NOT claiming that my 582, or me for that matter, can CONSISTENTLY shoot .3 inch groups at 50 yards. Most of my groups fired that day were right at about 1 inch exactly, but do bear in mind that winds were ranging from 5-10mph all day and the rifle was ONLY rested on the forearm, not the butt as well. My vision is poor at best, and a 2X7 scope is not exactly perfect for my level of vision, to try to shoot super groups with wind added.

Even so, I think this kind of dispels the fact that just because a bolt action 22 is of the tube-feed variety, it sure doesn't mean that it doesn't have the inherrent potential for some extremely small group sizes.

·
Premium Member
58,699 Posts
Man there's no reason a tube fed rifle can't shoot as well as a magazine fed one, just that getting them set up correctly is more difficult, heck when they're right they're right as you've found. Shucks my old Marlin39a will shoot like that time to time when my head is right, and its a levergun.:eek:

Gerald

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I've done a ton of shooting with an old, beat up 582 that has been the go-to rifle on a dairy farm for years when starlings and sparrows get thick.

It amazes me how well that rifle shoots... it's been consistently minute-of-bird for years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.