Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have (IIRC) an old Mossberg semi-auto and I would like to find another one like it. The sights were junk, it had different ones up front that you could choose from (flip up) and the rear sight had a slide ramp for elevation that if you bumped it, it went out of adjustment. Once I put a scope one it (cheap K-mart scope did the trick) It was fairly accurate. It had a tube feed magazine in the stock, and a full stock almost to the end of the barrel.
I was a teen (20 years ago) and needed some cash at the time and sold it for $50. I sure would like to have one like it again if anybody has a clue to what model (or even if it was a Mossberg!) it was so I could start locating another.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Greetings,

Sounds like a MOssberg M151 series. There were several versions.....151M, M151Ma, Mb, and Mc. I have a couple of 151Mb's that you can look at on my FTP site at the link below. Now days, they're going for around $175 to $250, depending on condition. Or there's these......

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=7664644
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=4003388

The one on gunbroker has the plus of the original scope and mounts, plus the rear peep sight.

Regards, Jay

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I didn't think I'd get a reply that soon... 'specially since I really didn't have that great a description. I've never seen front sights like it has before so I was hoping it was something specific to this gun. Now that I know the model I can keep my eye out for one.
Not looking to purchase now, but would really like to have one again in the future. These aren't on the C&R list are they?

Thanx again!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Don't quote me, but it looks like it depends on which model you find.

151M mfg 1946-47
151Ma mfg 1947-48 newer peep sight
151Mb mfg 1948-54 plastic butt plate
151Mc mfg 1954-58 newer rear sight

Looking for 'em is half the fun.

oops, almost forgot.....the front sight originally had a hood on it. Most of the time it's not there any more, but now and then you might get lucky.

Jay

·
Registered
107 Posts
They're a great gun, Chrome! I've done some minor work on my 151M, which I bought used, and it shoots very well. I use it to compete with the 10-22 nuts, just to tick them off. Its only disadvantage is the 15 round magazine capacity. I can usually hold my own until I run dry and have to reload.

I hope you find a good one!

·
Registered
7 Posts
also lookin!

Chrome sounds very similiar to the gun I had as a kid, only mine was a 351K but that was back in the late 50's. Hope you find what your looking for and I keep hoping I'll find a 351k sometime, they were good shooting guns. Guys must be hangin on to 'em.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chrome,

I have a Mossberg 380 which has 15 rd. mag tube in the buttstock. The gun does not have sights, but has the original (I think) little Tasco 4X scope. I am not sure if this is the gun you are thinking of. The dovetails are present so iron sights could be added.

As a matter of fact, I would be willing to part with this little guy for a modest price.

E mail me at [email protected] if interested.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Right now I'm looking to put together a tack driving bolt action for the e-mail matches, and maybe some local competition. Thanks for offering though, when I get ready to replace my old Mossberg I'll holler at ya.

Thanks again

·
Registered
400 Posts
I Have

a Mossberg 151MB circa 1955. It was my first firearm, given to me by my father. He bought it with trading stamps as a teenager. Groups of under an inch are common at 50 yds. with cheap ammo. Much more accurate than my 10/22 was before mods. Haven't shot it in about four years. Maybe its time! The original firing pin broke about 20 years ago and I made a new one out of an old butcher knife with a bench grinder and hand files. That homemade firing pin is still going strong after who knows how many thousand rounds. The weapon will NEVER be for sale -- not while I'm alive! My first love.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mossy 151M's

Just picked up two 151M's. One of them was pristine! The other just used. Both of them shoot very well. The triggers are very smooth. Put a scope on one, and at 50 yds, five shots, less than 1" group.:eek:

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Great thread, and Klof I admire your ingenuity making that firing pin. Chromes Mossberg also could have be a 51M or 51M(a), but more likely as Jay mentioned a 151M. I have bought two 51M's and two 51M(a)'s "parts rifles" for around $50 each and restored them to original shooting condition. Had to make the "spade" type bolt handle for one, and repair one of the two piece handles on a 51M(a), but it was fun to do. Also have a 151M-B which is a sweet little rifle and much superior to the 51 series. I missed that 151 with the scope on Gunbroker Jay, but feel $255 was too high a price even considering it had the scope. My as new 151 was bought at a gunshow for $75.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I tend to agree......$255 is a bit high. Both My 151 M(b)'s now have the original scopes and all the original sights. I probably have $220 in them, but they're for my two 7 yr old grandsons. That way there's no arguing about what one has that the other doesn't. :t

Ya don't have to be gruff with 'em, ya just have to outsmart 'em.:D

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Reviewed your picture gallery Jay, great pictures and impressive hardware. Especially enjoyed your picture of the three different QD swivels, I never realized that they differed. Also enjoyed your homemade sight hoods, I took the easy route and bought the repros (I think) from GPC. I will have to learn how to post pictures here, it's quite easy on Gunboards, but they don't have much of a rimfire following. Best regards - Bob

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Ah, Alan Clawson, I have read his articles in the NMCA newsletter, especially enjoyed the piece on the H/S students reproducing an operating handle for the 51M(a) as one of mine was missing. I wound out buying one on ebay that arrived with the inner piece broken in half. Wound up using a 3/8th's drill rod and grafted it on to the broken half (after truing the bitter ends) and securing with a 1/8th roll pin drilled through both pieces, turned out perfect. Had to drill a 1/8th hole in the shaft to accept the "dart end" of the recoil assembly. That's a nice looking 151 at a decent price, may have to contact Alan. Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mossberg 152

I finally put my 152 back together and shot it for the first time.I was really impressed.It had a really old looking weaver scope on it and it worked great.I really like the way the stock folds down for free hand shooting.I need to find the old rear sight for it and one sling swivel to make it original.I think Ill put a better scope on it and use it for a squirrel gun. Sam

·
Registered
427 Posts
151M's...whatta...?

Picked up anothr 151M last week. Just happen to like the looks of them. Sure wish old Fred Manlicher(for the stocks) had a different last name, though.
Put a pretty good scope on this one, after careful cleaning and tightening, etc.......it's a one-holer at 75 yards on a clear day, no wind, moderate tme, from a bench rest
What the heck were they thinking when they made this gun back in the 40's and 50's.
What am I going to do with this gun now.......Sure glad it ain't a 10/22 so I have to spend alot of money to make it shoot this good.
Glad nobody pays any attention to the Mossy forum, so I can find more of these.:cool: :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.