Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local shop has both a Rem 541s and a stainless Anschutz 64MPR for $650. Rifle will be mainly used for benchrest paper punching, occassional hunting, and possible benchrest and silohette matches at the local club.

My main concern is accuracy and precision.

Any input would be great as I have to act on this asap before they get sold.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ask if you can try each one, or buy both on approval with the right to return one or both if they don't shoot as well as you'd like.

When you shoot them, be sure the screws are tight. That's the first thing to check. Don't adjust the trigger until you decide which one you want, otherwise the store may not take it back.

The Anschutz is a better bench rifle in it's factory form, as it has a wider forend, if I remember. The 541s is probably a good shooter, but they are difficult to shoot well from the bench because the forend is quite light and not particularly well shaped for bench shooting.

They are both quality rifles, but I think the nod goes to the Anschutz, providing it shoots as well as the Rem. You're the one making the choice, so that's the only opinion that really counts.

Picher

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I don't have an opinion on this question because I don't have a 64MPR, but I saved this old post on the 541-S and have no idea anymore who made it. The record was set by Bill Myers.

"When the Sporter Class in IR50/50 was limited to unaltered factory rifles, the most accurate unaltered sporter was the Remington 541S. In fact, even now the current World Record in the Sporter class of Ultra100 was set by an unaltered 541S. No one really knew until factory rimfire rifles were shot from the bench which one would be the most accurate. Milt passed up a lot of 541S's at gun shows, not realizing how they could shoot. Then when the word got out, you could not find one. Remington swears that the 541 is the same as the 541S...but only Remington believes it...."

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
541s

Dasgreif;

The Remington 541S is a hell of a gun. I picked one up in a package deal. I figured I'd sell the 541S and keep the other gun. I took it to the range to show another shooter who talked about having a 541 as a backup silhouette gun. We put a scope on the 541S and I proceeded to pick my spot on every target out to 100 meters. On the way home I stopped at a gunsmith and had a trap pad installed and the trigger readjusted from 16 oz to 34 oz to make Hunter Class in rimfire silhouette.

I took the gun to the National Matches in Phoenix. The gun shoots far better than I do standing up. I did see other 541s at the matches, both 541Ts and 541Ss. I do recall seeing a single Anschutz 64 that a junior was shooting in B class. Not that 64s are bad, but the Remington 541S can be very good.

Most silhouette shooters shoot Anschutz 54s. Some shoot Kimbers. I saw a single Remington 40X rimfire and a pair of Browning/Winchest 52s and a pair of Coopers and I think one Sako Finnfire. With the cost of Anschutz lots of people are looking for alternatives unless they're very serious about silhouette.

The 541S has a match chamber and a **** good adjustable trigger. It also, reportedly, has one of the fastest lock times in 22 rilfes. The Anshcutz 54 is a better trigger but if my choice were between a 541S and a 64, I'd take the 541S.

DWL

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ya this is a tough one. Would be great if I could shoot them but this place is kind of a wholesaler/consignment. The only thing they will guarantee is that the rifle functions and shoots. Asked if I could shoot them and just pick the most accurate one.... answer was only if you want to buy and keep both.

Weight isnt really an issue, used to lugging around a bull barrelled pre-64 in .308. All I really want is accuracy for paper punching and practice at my local club in Redlands CA.

·
Registered
50 Posts
dasgeif;

Redlands eh? I used to live in SoCal. Does your club have any smallbore silhouette matches? I could bring the gun next time I'm down on business.

I just went to a match in Utah. Shot a 26/40 and a 28/40 with the 541S and a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20. Bite the bullet and buy the 541S. They don't make them anymore.

DWL

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya they do, its Inland Fish and Game. Its not a large range/club, all outdoor. But right now as I tend to shoot more then I compete its not an issue. Out here for school at Loma Linda, and after a week of clinic and class, those hours at the range are a godsend. :angel: Cant really afford a high end competitive club right now on a student's budget, but I do save up for "presents" after a successfull academic year. Current undecided reward is a new 1911, and a rimfire rifle. When you only give yourself one of each a year, gotta make it count =).

My wife supports my hobby/addiction with rimfire's and 1911s since she knows I enjoy that just as much as she likes to shop, heh and in the end my relaxation is cheaper, haha. :D

Can PM you my school email address if you want some more info on Inland's schedule.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Its not an S, but last year I purchased a 541-T heavy barrel and I have been very happy with it. I adjusted the trigger down about as low as it would go and started shooting it in the factory sporter class of bench rest on RFC's On-Line Matches. With Wolf MT it has produced a 250 score at 25 yards several times. The loading port is big and accessable, the trigger is crisp, and the forend is squarish on the bottom (better for riding a bag) instead of round like my other sporters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.