Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question for you guys... I'm ready to start finishing my laminate richards stock, and was wondering if you use the walnut stain that comes with the tru-oil kit, or just the tru-oil by itself? I kinda figured the walnut stain was for refinishing a true wood stock, and not a laminate one? Just thought I'd ask before making a big mistake!!! Thanks for the help.:D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Depends on the look you want.I've used a Ebony stain on a grey/black lammy to really darken it up.Also used the Ebony on royal purple to tone down the purple.Then tru oiled it.Slow

·
Registered
21,616 Posts
Depends on the look you want.I've used a Ebony stain on a grey/black lammy to really darken it up.Also used the Ebony on royal purple to tone down the purple.Then tru oiled it.Slow
You did WHAT to Purple :eek: I used to like you :D

Walnut stain is to add some dark tint to a light color stock and usually only in the tan/brown base tones is it used.
If you simply want a nice finish and do not want to change the actual color of your Lami then just start the Tru-Oil..lots of light coats.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think the walnut stain might be for use on birch, or other ligher wood. I've only used the tru-oil on the stock, and it's got a nice walnut color to it. If you want a preview, wipe a small spot of the stock with mineral spirits. That's the color you'll get using only tru-oil.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Upnorth-
No it is not done yet. I got in trouble for drying it in the spare shower in our apartment. So I can only apply the oil mix when I am at the firehouse. I am taking my time and I don't have a time line as to when I want it done.
I applied the third coat of oil on it last night and wet sanded it today. Its coming together but it will take a while. I will post some new pics when I can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.