Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

trigger

576 4
guys i have stoned my trigger it has a great feel now around 3-4 lbs, any suggestions on what to do with the springs. thanks
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
guys i have stoned my trigger it has a great feel now around 3-4 lbs, any suggestions on what to do with the springs. thanks
I'm fairly new to 1022s, but I've spent hours fiddling over the past year. I have concluded that, for me, I didn't need to change the sear or hammer springs. However, I found alot of improvement by changing the trigger reset spring. Some very experienced folks will argue that radiusing/polishing the trigger return plunger, clipping a coil off of the stock trigger return spring, and inserting backwards the entire assembly (plunger and spring) into the offset hole in the trigger guard is the best way to go. However, I personally think the best spring for trigger reset is to buy one of (or copy) Skeeter's torsion spring mod where you put a set screw in the side of the trigger group and use a bolt-lock spring to push the trigger back into its reset position. The only downside with the Skeeter mod is that you have to radius a notch around the trigger pin hole on the stock trigger so that the circle of the spring fits around it. If you don't have the tools needed to radius your own trigger, it's easiest just to buy one of Skeeter's drop in or extra wide triggers with the radius already cut. You can get bolt-lock springs for a dollar a piece through Midway (or .59 with a dealer discount) (without shipping), and your local hardware store will have a drill bit / tap combo and the proper set screw for about $4.00 total. Skeeter's drop in trigger runs around $27.00. However you decide to do it, modding the stock reset spring problem can shave another pound or more off of your trigger pull.

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
You can lighten the trigger return spring by cutting a couple of coils off, or replace it with a lighter spring. That will do a lot to reduce the pull. You just want to be sure you have enough spring there so the trigger will reset every time. If its too light, you will have symptoms like you fired one, then the next time you pull the trigger nothing happens. That is usually becasue the spring is so light it won't push the trigger back when the action cycles. Polishing the sides of everythign also helps. The sides of the hammer, trigger where they ride against the inside of the receiver. Polish them to an almost mirror polish and that will also help reduce trigger pull.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.