Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to suggestions and drills gleaned from kindly correspondents I've got the trigger yanking under control;
however, I sense 3 to 4 stages or "stops" in my trigger's takeup. I've been told that "a crisp, clean break" is to be desired.

Does the trigger I've got bear staying with as I know it's habits or would I be wanting something better later?

and...

How do the 2 stage triggers perform for offhand shooting?

Thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
A two stage trigger works quite well in standing as long as you are sensitive to the trigger's reaction. One technique that I have seen is to take up the first stage and then, rather than holding at the break point, you apply and release pressure in sync with your movement on and off of the target. The other method is to take up the first stage and maintain no movement until the shot breaks....hopefully when the target is centered in the sights.
Al

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
I shoot a two stage and a single stage in small bore silhouette. I think if a person is used to their trigger the performance difference would be very slight. I also think that with the heavier triggers, like in hunter class, the two stage has an advantage. I have my cz breaking with no creep at 34oz. But I still think that a two stage set for 34oz with a 8oz second stage has an advantage over me. But I think if you get your trigger down to say 4 or 5oz the difference between the two types of triggers would be very slight.

Like what was said earlier, for offhand a trigger that has no travel or creep really helps out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your observations.

I had my CZ trigger @ 8 oz and was doing very poorly, BUT I also had a bad "yanking" issue hopefully resolved with better control.

I put a heavier spring that pulls around 1 1/2 - 2# with a long (seemingly) travel, with 3 -4 stops along the way. These stops seemed to have the advantage of letting me know where I was, and they seemed to allow an easier hold while off target. Unfortunately, I figure that with use they will wear away and be inconsistent.

It sounds to me from your observations re. the 2nd. stage trigger, I might be as well served to go back to the lighter spring (8 oz) and learn to control it.

I doubt I'll ever be able to compete, so issues of conforming to arbitrary rules and various class restrictions don't apply, just trying to maintain skills as we slide downhill. :t

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.