Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled my lvt outa the stock . Are the 2 screws in front like a rem? One sear engagement and the other over travel? Ive loosened the set screws ready to screw on the adj. screws. Need some instructions on what to do next. I do alot of shootin but Im not much of a smith. Doug

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
My LVT is currently set for 14oz and is crisp as can be. Passes the bang and bolt slam tests just fine..................

From an earlier post on RFC....
Cooper 57M Trigger......

Has three adjustment screws...two on the front and one on the rear. Top front is overtravel and lower front is weight-of-pull. The one on the rear is sear engagement...and with too little, the rifle is dangerous. If OT and SE suit you, the *** (weight of pull) is all you need to adjust.

The best way I've found to adjust *** is to back the adjustment screw all the way out, and work inward from there. You can't hurt anything by doing this...just don't lose the spring behind the screw. I did! But Cooper sent me a couple for free...... With the *** screw all the way out, obviously that's as light as it gets...and it's still several ounces. The two-lever trigger won't allow any lower adjustment.

The contact surfaces of the trigger and sear can be polished to lighten the *** somewhat. I reworked my own trigger it's safe at about 8-9 ozs. but I keep it set at around 11 or 12. Six ozs. is the lightest trigger I've heard about...like on esidude's rifle. His was probably done by a "real" gunsmith. At whatever ***, I wouldn't consider the trigger safe until it passed the "drop" and "bolt slam" tests. And I test any rifle I buy.

I read somewhere...maybe on the Cooper WebSite, that they're developing a three-lever trigger for their rifles that's similar to the one Jewell once made. I don't know if they will be designed to retrofit or not...but I hope so. If I can find the information, I'll post a link here. Later.

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
Mine is set on 10oz. You have to bang the gun super duper hard to get it to go off. I wouldn't go much lighter if you are planning on hunting with the rifle. 1lb. for hunting should be plenty safe.

Brad

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comebacks guys. I called cooper and they said tighten the screw in the back,go an 1/8 of a turn at a time. Then loosen the bottom screw in the front, a little at a time. I turned the screw in the back probably a 1/4 of a turn loosened the bottom front a little, I think thats what I did, Ive got it wrote down, and helped the heck out of it. I dont have a scale but its better than it was. I have better luck pinchin the trigger between my index finger and my thumb anyway, if its not 2oz. I shot a couple a groups, outa a box of Wolfs probably the best Ive ever shot with that gun. Theyed beat a 1/4 a little. My rifle likes the action screws as tight as I can get em with a screwdriver.Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.