Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,430 Posts
I don't know about the new spring type gauge but my 25 year old RCBS still works good and gives me the same reading as my digital Lyman. I bought the Lyman because it is quicker to read, a little more sensitive but mainly because it will take an average of ever how many pulls you want to take.

· Registered
4,710 Posts
if your'e going the low cost route you might as well get the spring operated Wheeler at around $16. Seems as though most all spring models measure in 2oz increments. Although the Timney that goes to 25LB :eek: for whatever reason :confused: measures on the pound side to .25 - 1/4 pound. And the Timney is around $32

The RCBS they don't make or put their name on it anymore as it's discontinued.

That fish scale at $10 is actually pretty accurate as it can measure in 5 gram increments which is just a hair + over 1/10 ounce. But I wouldn't be certain of its ability to measure lower pull weights of say 1lb or less. And I'd guess you'd have to monkey a bit more with it than the strain gauge model which is I believe the highest ranked trigger pull gauge on the market..............

The Electronic Lyman which measures to 1/10 ounce :eek: :D :bthumb: and as stated will allow multiple averaged pulls. Natchez has a good price $43.49 but shipping might push it over this Amazon free shipped price of $47.48. https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-783224...pID=41tmU-jNkHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

· Registered
851 Posts
Have a Wheeler and its ok and consistent, but reads in two ounce increments and the scale is a sticky tape added to the gauge is it off? applied by hand, yes, so may very well could be off. I also have a Lyman, you pay more once and get features no spring gauge can compete with. 2 cents worth :D

· Registered
80 Posts
Have a Wheeler and its ok and consistent, but reads in two ounce increments and the scale is a sticky tape added to the gauge is it off? applied by hand, yes, so may very well could be off. I also have a Lyman, you pay more once and get features no spring gauge can compete with. 2 cents worth :D
I have a Wheeler also, and like you, had my doubts about the tape scale. So, I used a water jug and digital kitchen scale to test it's calibration. I tested from 1lb to 4lbs in 4oz increments. Every measurement was spot on.

I've never owned a Lyman so I'm unfamiliar with the other features it has, but all I want a trigger gauge to do is measure trigger pull. The Wheeler does that for me and I'm happy. YMMV. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.