Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

trigger improvements

1069 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  gmcfixer
I wrote a thread a couple days ago and noone replied. I was needing to know if anyone knows any way to improve trigger on savage mark II. If so any gunsmith recommendations or anything else would be appreciated. i live in eastern ky and dont know of any gunsmiths around here who i trust to work on my guns. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Brad
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
KY, I'm not sure about the mk II trigger ( I don't have one) but I suspect it is the same as the 93. If it is I would think that any of the methods that work on it would work on the mkII. Change the spring and shim the back of the trigger. Compare the 2 and proceed from there.

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Rifle Basix sear

I have a Rifle Basix sear in my model 93 and love it! If the gun is a target rifle I would highly suggest the Rifle Basix sear. If your going to use it as a hunting rifle then I would suggest trying a gunsmith or the spring and shim swap, the Rifle Basix sear drops the pull weight too low for a hunting rifle IMHO. If you do a search you'll find previous post describing the proceedures.

Dave Z.

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Shim the side to side play out of the trigger and adjustment corrects this to were it is almost non-exsistant, but it is posible even after that if your trying to play Lee Harvey Oswald. This is one reason why I suggest that it only be used on a benchrest type competition gun and not hunting rifles. When reducing sear engagement to a minimum on most firearms you can create this problem, you just gotta know how much is too much .... or in this case how much is too little.

· Registered
6 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Rifle Basix sear for the Savage. It works great! I saw a post about it not being heavy enough for hunting and I beg to disagree. It can be adjusted for very light target shooting to a heavier pull for hunting. I have installed everal and found them all to be excellent. If you do overdo it on the creep adjustment, you may find that you cannot get the full range of trigger pull adjustment that is advertised (and then some). Keep in mind when adjusting for creep to JUST take put the creep and not a speck more. Both creep and trigger pull adjustment screws work in conjunction with one another, sometimes you hit the right combination right off the bat, other times it takes some fiddling. Any other problems associated with the Rifle Basix unit that people are experiencing is more than likely user error (i.e. too much adjustment on the creep screw). Hope this helps.

· Registered
780 Posts
Well I'm glad to hear it! :p
I've got a new Mk II LV still in the box. had it for a year now and haven't mounted a scope yet. (Yes, I am a slacker. I've also got a new Ruger M77VT .308 the same way). I'll try stoning the factory parts. If I'm not satisfied, I won't be afraid to try the Rifle Basix.

· Registered
96 Posts
RIfleBasix

I just put a RifleBasix on my Daughter's MKII - love it. I have it set for about 14 oz - no misfires from safety operation or bolt slam. I just picked-up a 900TR and am gonna modify the same.

Suggestion - I drilled a small hole in the stock to allow adjustment of the pull without stock removal - works like a champ.

I would HIGHLY recommend Bob's RifleBasix sear!!!
:t :t :t

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Not very hard at all, it might take a little patients to adjust but the installation itself is easy. It comes with good instructions too, I've been told if needed you can call them if you have a problem and they will walk you through it.

Dave Z.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.