Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I am new to the forum so please be gentle with me. Alot of the terms I am learning about guns so excuse my ignorance on things.

I was just wondering aboutthe trigger pull it seems awfully hard and i would like to have be about half the amount of pull it takes to fire.

I have a marlin 882 that I bought second hand however it looks like the guy never used it.

Also the bolt seems like it is rough as well I would just like to have a smoother operation. The gun is very nice and looks great just want to have more smoothness to it. Is there anybody here that does that kind of work or does anybody know a good place in the houston texas area?

Thanks

Rip

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome to RFC

Well as far as the trigger goes your best bet would probably be to get an after market one.Rifle basics makes a drop in trigger for your gun,go to midway usa and take a look.Me like many others modify our own triggers and they work just fine,you may want to try to do it yourself if you feel comfortable with your ability to modify yourself.Do a search on trigger modifications on this forum to see them.I have a 982vs and the bolt was rough on it to,I just rubed it down with litium grease,and all the contact points on the action then took the excess off and left a very thin film on it.This improved it alot,if this doesnt work to your satisfaction you may have to polish with compound the bolt and contact points.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Blewzman:

You mentioned that the rifle seemed hardly used. Start shooting it and you'll find that with use the trigger pull will smooth out a little as will the bolt - unless there is a burr or something. As soon as you find a good smith he'll take care of the problems for you. In the mean time put a few bricks through the rifle and you should see that trigger lighten up.

By the way, welcome to RFC. A great place to learn about rifles and shooting them.

GOOD SHOOTING! :)

Range Finder

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hi blewzman. Welcome to RFC.

There are a bunch of mods you can do to help your trigger. One that doesn't cost much is to replace the trigger spring with one of lesser strength.

If you do try this, you must make sure that the new spring does not create an unsafe condition in your rifle. There are discussions of this and other mods on thos site as well as others, use the search function and search for trigger and mods.

Your bolt will smooth up on it's own just shoot it a bunch. A bit of grease as moontrool says will help.

·
Registered
636 Posts
take steel wool with oil and work on the bolt after removing it from the action. Just shooting the gun and working the action breaks it in too. A rifle basix or timmney trigger kit can be dropped in to lighten your trigger pull alot

·
Registered
91 Posts
Blewzman: I had an 881, similar to your rifle.
I found the trigger and bolt are very responsive to use. Fire it at the range a lot, you will wear the "new" off the bolt and trigger and become more familiar with the way your rifle shoots. (Meanwhile becoming a better shot.)
I used my 881 with a 4x deer scope as a squirrel rifle for many years, sold it when I had 2 heart attacks that I thought ended my small game hunting.
I found another used 881 and I'm buying it for my 58th birthday next week. This series of Marlins is very good size and weight for me, and they are very accurate and reliable. They are great looking and handling rifles.
I think the more you shoot your rifle, the more you will appreciate it and the better it will perform.
Enjoy.
Mark

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If you want to get adventurous, try the "pen trick" that has been discussed on this forum (it should be a sticky).

In short, you cannibalize a "click" ballpoint pen for its spring and switch it for the one on the trigger. You may have to dig through the pen jar to find the right spring, but it works.

It sounds low-rent, but in most cases, it works.

While you are in there with the guts of the trigger, you might as well polish every friction point with some very, very fine sandpaper (like 1200) or the equivalent.

I have an 81, the venerable ancestor of your rifle, and this made a huge difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I do love shooting the weapon and it seems to love to be shot. the thing with the ball point pen kinda scares me though. I guess I will just keep on shooting it til it gets old and worn out or I do. After about 500 more rounds and the trigger is still hard I guess I will try and fdind that trigger that I have heard you all talk about. It seems as though I can only find it now for the 982 instead of the 882 like I need. I am sure somebody has still got them. thanks again..

Rip

·
Registered
195 Posts
.22 shooter said:
take steel wool with oil and work on the bolt after removing it from the action. Just shooting the gun and working the action breaks it in too. A rifle basix or timmney trigger kit can be dropped in to lighten your trigger pull alot
TIMNEY Has Released a TRIGGER for the Marlins ? ? ? MORE Info Please ! ! !

·
Registered
242 Posts
Blewzmann:

Don't give up after 1 brick. After 2 you should notice some improvement and it will get better as will the bolt's smoothness. These Marlin triggers can be bad but they will smooth up. The 7 that I own did. Like I said, I had the 880SQ worked by a smith and he done a good job. That was a few bricks ago and now it's even better. :t

GOOD SHOOTING GUY! :)

Range Finder

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.