Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a VQ hammer kit,VQ auto bolt release, VQ extended mag release in my 10/22. The hammer kit had 2 shims, a sear spring and hammer spring plus the hammer. Everything went together fine, everything works right when I manually cock the action and dryfire it. In or out of the stock, no problem. But when I fire the gun , useing four different types of long rifles, standard and high vel, the trigger doesn't reset. I have to pull the bolt back about halfway to reset the trigger. I have tried with the mag in and out, no difference. But when I rapid fire it, everything the functions perfectly. But slowfire, the trigger still won't reset. Cartriges chamber and eject perfectly everytime. I think if I squeeze the triigger real hard it resets, maybe that's why it fuctioned pefectly during rapidfire. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The symptoms you describe can come from two sources.
1. If the trigger return spring does not return the trigger fully forward the disconnector will not engage the sear and allow the trigger to function.
Usually caused by binding in the trigger/sear/disconnector or by a weak return spring.
Fix: Wash the trigger group out thourghly with aerosol brake cleaner and blow dry with compressed air. Or replace the weak return spring.

2. If the sear does not catch the hammer when the bolt cycles, the hammer will follow the bolt back down and you will have to cycle the bolt manually to cock the hammer. Often causes the gun to fire multiple times when the trigger is pulled.
Can also be caused by debris in the trigger but is usually the result of too shallow a sear notch in the hammer.
Fix: Clean trigger as above (make sure not to oil the hammer/sear engagement area). This area needs to be lubricant free. If problem still exists, return the hammer for replacement. You might call Scott Volquartsen about this. He may offer some help.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Jim,

I've seen this a couple of other places, maybe Big Mike will swing by... if you replaced the hammer and the spring, I believe the spring is to stiff you should put the stock one back on (hammer spring). there might be just a little to much pressure on the bolt to let it cycle fully...

Kevin

·
Registered
232 Posts
The springs that come with the Volquartsen hammer are not as strong as the original springs. This is to help reduce the trigger pull but sometimes the weaker trigger return spring will not reset the trigger and the weaker hammer spring can cause misfires. For that reason I suggest you only replace the hammer and keep the original springs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had this problem also, but with a Clark trigger kit. After living with it for too long, and while I was busy doing the JB Weld trick, I figured out my problem.

The back of the trigger where the disconnector(? [it's been a while and I'm going from memory]) slides down. I polished the bejeebers out of it, file - stone - Dremel, then reversed the plunger and installed a lighter spring and now it works great.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have had trouble like this too.....

I do a lot of trigger jobs and sometime if I take a little too much off the trigger rebound spring without using a Wolf reduced power disconnector spring the lighter trigger spring does not have enough power to overcome the disconnector spring and this problem will be the results. Can you reset the trigger manually by pushing the trigger forward?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Let me guess??

You tried lightening the trigger pull by clipping a few coils off the trigger rebound spring or replaced some parts and something seems to be binding up there? You can try installing a Wolf reduced power disconnector spring or check for anything binding and slowly work on it. If all else fails you can send the trigger group to a good gun smith from the site here or a local one. If you want to try and tackle it yourself feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I will see what I can do to talk you through getting it fixed if the spring does not work.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.