Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm a member of my state's Jr.Highpower rifle team, and i live in the city so there aren't too many ranges with the capability to handle my m-14 or that have long enough ranges. Does anyone have any recommendations for a rifle that i can practice with a short ranges? Right now i'm just using a CZ model 4 target rifle shooting small bore matches, but i'd like to shoot .22's at 100 yards or so (it can be done as i'm sure you all know) anyone have any suggestions?
thanks in advance.
-iNeedAmmo:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Boy are YOU gonna have fun!

In Highpower AND Smallbore!

My recommendation (as someone who does the same thing.. train for Highpower with Smallbore) is this;

Get your Club or State Association to provide you with an AR-15 Service Rifle, and then get a Compass Lake (or other reputable builder) AR- Service Rifle type "Dedicated .22lr Upper Assembly".

That is the BEST way to go! You'll be training with the SAME sights, SAME trigger, and SAME weight and feel (and SAME sling, glove, hold, sight picture, etc) as you will be competing with.

Otherwise, a good used Anschutz or other smallbore rifle will be perfectly adequate for 100 yard training! In fact, I'm not very familliar with the BRNO #4, but it SHOULD be just fine at 100 yards also!

Being as how you're on the State Team, I figure you're not a Marksman class shooter, so I haven't recommended something like the Mossberg M44 .22 Training rifle that the CMP was selling (they're out now, but you can find them second hand for $200 or less).. You would quickly out-strip the Mossbergs capabilities if you shoot Expert Class or better.

You migh, however, consider the Kimber M82 Government rifles available from CMP. At $600, thought they are FINE rifles, they're not really ideal training rifles. Their stock is not really optimal, and their accuracy potential is less than that of a good used Anschutz 54 for about the same money.

Like I said, if you are ONLY training for Highpower (particularly Service Rifle as opposed to Match Rifle) then the BEST option is a GOOD .22LR AR upper on an AR Service Rifle lower. I know it's a bloody lot of money... and as a junior, dollars can be short... but if you are serious about being a serious competitor, I honestly don't think there is ANY better investment than a Compass Lake Engineering (or Accuracy Speaks, or other reputable maker) Rimfire Upper. And I don't think there is any better Service Rifle than the AR (I shot the M1A for 12 years before switching to the AR, and love the M1A, but will never shoot it again in competition!)..

I hope this helps!
Paul F.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh! all i hear about is those evil black guns! the state's national guard armorers were nice enough to provide me with an honest too goodness bayonetter lug, flashihider, selector switch US army m-14 tuned to national match specifacations...i would be caught dead with one of those plastic guns, in ANY caliber! lol thanks for the info, i might pick up an anshutz here soon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yup...

I said the very same thing for 12 years! My scores eventually stopped improving.. and I had to tune up my rifle about twice a year....
I switched to the Black Rat Rifle, and started winning again.. and it was a WHOLE lot more fun!

Certainly; Shoot what you love to shoot!
But if you decide to get REALLY competative, consider the AR.. and save the M14 for the NTIT where it would be REALLY fun! :D

You might try Neal Johnson Gunsmithing (nealjguns.com) or MTGuns (mtguns.com) for a good used Anschutz. They both normally have a selection in stock.

If you happen to find an H&R M12 (formerly sold by CMP) with sights for sale, they can be tuned up to be a GREAT rifle with some stock remodeling, trigger work, and a good bedding job... and if you have Armorers that would help you out with the work, it could end up several hundred $$$ cheaper than an Anschutz. Spend the money on ammo!

Paul F.

iNeedAmmo said:
ahhh! all i hear about is those evil black guns! the state's national guard armorers were nice enough to provide me with an honest too goodness bayonetter lug, flashihider, selector switch US army m-14 tuned to national match specifacations...i would be caught dead with one of those plastic guns, in ANY caliber! lol thanks for the info, i might pick up an anshutz here soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.