Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Trailside Standard Model Iron Sight Questions

714 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Bruce in WV 
#1 ·
I've got a 4.5" Trailside Standard Model (drift adjustable rear sight) with an UltraDot MatchDot on low rings, but I want to zero the iron sights.

I understand the Trailside Standard Model will accept Sig's standard drift-adjustable rear contrast sights, as follows:

No./Height/Sig Item No

#6/5.80mm or 0.23"/3422555_06
#7/6.07mm or 0.24"/3422555_07
#8/6.35mm or 0.25"/3422555_08
#9/6.62mm or 0.26"/3422555_09
#10/6.90mm or 0.27"/3422555_10

My first question is: Which sight height does the Trailside Standard Model ship with? The number is supposed to be stamped on the sight, but my Trailside doesn't have one.

If no one knows the answer to that question, how do I measure my sight to determine it's height? From the base to the bottom of the notch? Or from the base to the top of the sight?

I'd prefer to get my Trailside zeroed as well as I can with the right drift-adjustable rear sight. The irons are just "backup" for the MatchDot. If I can't do that, I'll probably the adjustable sight from Larry's Guns. Does anyone have the adjustable sight from Larry's guns on a 4.5" Standard Model? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks for your time and assistance.

See less See more
#4 ·
I've got this posted over at www.sigforum.com, too. I'll post any answer I get here. I may just have to pay for a call to Sigarms.

Sig contrast sights are only $6 or $7 on ebay. I might just use trial and error - get a #5 or #6 on ebay and adjust from there.

I'd also love to try the Enterprise Arms Sig Ghost Ring for grins, but it's $40.

#6 · (Edited)
Measured mine...

that it was shipped with. I drove out the (cheapo plastic) rear sight, bought a cheap plastic caliper, and measured the overall height (.23in top to bottom) and notch (.125in from bottom of notch to bottom of sight). My guess is that the others follow the same pattern.
BTW, I added the SIG adjustable rear sight to my standard model and discovered that I'll need to significantly increase the height of the front sight to get it to zero. Even at the bottom adjustment it still shoots so high its off the paper on a standard 25 yard pistol target even with a six-o'clock hold. I guess that's why you see the milled rear surface on the factory model that has the adjustable sight. I'm considering my options...

#7 · (Edited)
Bruce in WV said:
that it was shipped with. I drove out the (cheapo plastic) rear sight, bought a cheap plastic caliper, and measured the overall height (.23in top to bottom) and notch (.125in from bottom of notch to bottom of sight). My guess is that the others follow the same pattern.
Thanks Bruce! - That's exactly the information I was looking for! :)

Sounds like they come with the plastic equivalent of Sig's #6. That means I can go up or down in 2" increments (at 25 yards) by going up or down a rear sight number.

P.S. Here's some info on the sights and adjustments: http://www.sigarms.com/documentation/Universal_Sight_Pusher_2002.pdf

There are a couple articles online that confirm you can use the Sig drift adjustable sights.

#8 · (Edited)
Big problem with rear sight replacement!

I spoke to Larry (the SIG authorized parts supplier) and Brownells. Neither offer a LOWER rear sight than the #6 ( no matter what the Sight Adjustment Tool files shows). Also, according to Brownells technician, the rear dovetail is unique to SIG and there are no generic alternatives.

I already know that the target rear sight is way too high, so that's a 'no go'.

Larry suggested silver soldering a piece of metal to the front sight and filing it to achieve desired point of impact. That's probably pretty inexpensive, and I might go ahead and do that. While I'm at it, I'll ask the gunsmith to reshape it into a ramp, and make it high enough to use the Target rear sight.

On the other hand, Brownell's sells colored lucite rods to glue in after milling a trough to modify a front sight. That's something to consider, too.

If anyone has had success with any other solutions, please speak up

Thanks,
Bruce

Note: Test fired it with the target sight installed.
After doing the math, it looks like I need to add .10 inch to the front sight to zero it vertically for center-hold point-of-impact. I'm going to go with a ramped front sight with a flat top. Acts like a post and won't tear up a holster.

Amount of Error X Sight Radius = Sight Correction Needed
Divided by: Distance to Target

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.