Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say, trying to work out the pros & cons of all the box-magazine twenty-two semi-auto rifles available, and settle on the "best" is a nightmare! As soon as you think you have it pegged, someone busts your balloon and you have to start over again.

I have a nicely modified 10/22 which is accurate as anything. :) Tough though? If it got thrown onto the bed of a truck or sat on by a big guy :eek: (could happen!) or the barrel got knocked sideways against a tree/wall/vehicle :hide: or suffered any one of a number of possible accidents, I doubt it would be able to hit the proverbial barn from the inside with the doors shut. Same with many alloy receiver models with push-fit barrels. The 10/22 does not convince me it could take the abuse, say, a CZ Scout bolt gun would.

Any ideas on the toughest, most durable detachable magazine-fed auto? One that could take a beating, never need cleaning (at least for 5000 rounds) and still work without jamming or having parts fall off? With a good trigger. And... still be accurate. :gun4: Is this just too much to ask for from a 22 auto?? (Nylon 66 has a tube mag and a not too good trigger, otherwise it might just qualify) Perhaps the Scout is really the only option...

·
37,283 Posts
I would have to say the T/C semi.

Steel receiver

Threaded heavy for type barrel.

Magazines that are cast aluminum and hell for stout.

The rifles are just very strongly built.

·
Premium Member
30,682 Posts
You certainly aren't asking for much:D. So lets see if I get this right. You want to use it as a baseball bat, pry bar, chair, etc and you don't want to have the inconvenience of cleaning it. I suppose you want it real cheap also:D .
I don't think that anything matches your description. In fact I'm trying to think of Military rifles that will fill your description. The way you make it sound, you want to be able to abuse it and still have it function well. I think that a good 10/22 with a few Tactical Innovation composite mags and a trigger kit with a decent scope would fit the bill for a reasonable person. I can't think of any 22 rifle that will take excessive abuse. I'm interested to see how many magazine fed 22 rifles people on this forum believe will take excessive abuse.
The real weak link to the 10/22 is the alloy receiver. It will last a long time, but excessive leverage on the barrel can bend the receiver. A Stainless Steel version would weigh more, but it would be tough. Volquatsen makes the SS version, but they are too expensive. AMT made the 25/22 that had a tough cast SS receiver. They are probably much better suited for abuse over the stock Ruger 10/22.

·
Registered
18,731 Posts
I would have to agree with Vincent that the T/C Classic or similar is the best built .22 semi auto made today. Very high quality and not so high in price. Nothing needs modded other than a trigger jib, but they shoot great as is, right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
(Nylon 66 has a tube mag and a not too good trigger, otherwise it might just qualify) Perhaps the Scout is really the only option...
You just took the thoughest, most reliable semi-auto ever made out of your consideration... Although the Nylon 77 comes pretty close - that's the box fed version of it - from all I've read the 77 and the "Nylon 10-C" models were only slightly less reliable than the tube fed Nylon 66's - but that's what you get when you use a box magazine vs tube fed.
I just bought a 66 and have read tons about it in the past few days - seems like for a true "working rifle" that can be used and lovingly abused, there is no comparison. Super tough stock, self cleaning action, no magazine to lose or dent, rugged iron sights...
I've also got a Marlin 60 that I would vote for as a ultra reliable, rugged semi-auto (again, tube fed but to me that is just another more rugged feature over a magazine fed rifle). The Marlin 925 is its magazine fed brother.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I have to say, trying to work out the pros & cons of all the box-magazine twenty-two semi-auto rifles available, and settle on the "best" is a nightmare! As soon as you think you have it pegged, someone busts your balloon and you have to start over again.

I have a nicely modified 10/22 which is accurate as anything. :) Tough though? If it got thrown onto the bed of a truck or sat on by a big guy :eek: (could happen!) or the barrel got knocked sideways against a tree/wall/vehicle :hide: or suffered any one of a number of possible accidents, I doubt it would be able to hit the proverbial barn from the inside with the doors shut. Same with many alloy receiver models with push-fit barrels. The 10/22 does not convince me it could take the abuse, say, a CZ Scout bolt gun would.

Any ideas on the toughest, most durable detachable magazine-fed auto? One that could take a beating, never need cleaning (at least for 5000 rounds) and still work without jamming or having parts fall off? With a good trigger. And... still be accurate. :gun4: Is this just too much to ask for from a 22 auto?? (Nylon 66 has a tube mag and a not too good trigger, otherwise it might just qualify) Perhaps the Scout is really the only option...
Most of the semi-autos I know of won't work reliably after an atomic bomb goes off on it or if King Kong throws it off the Empire State Building or if Superman uses it to pry the planet Krypton off of his foot or after it's tossed into the sun. Guess that pretty much rules out any 22 rifle worth having.
If on the other hand you consider the rifle to be a specific tool for planet earth, all of the ones mentioned above and quite a few more will do what they were designed to do. But you need to treat them with respect and not use them as a substitute for a jackhammer. And most of the ones I've seen won't work after around 500 rounds without help in the way of decent cleaning, at least not the ones from this solar system.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think I somewhat concur with what was said above.

Treat it right and almost ANY .22 will last well into the next century.

My Marlin Glenfield 60 is about 30 years old, has had 5000+ through it and has only needed a new buffer in all that time. Of course I've never used it as a hammer or baseball bat.....

·
Registered
358 Posts
I agree with athappyhiker,,, if you Have to have a magazine fed, get a Nylon 10c or 77 . I have an old ad showing a remington engineer firing a 66 one handed from a rest, on top of a pile of empties, they fired 75,000 rounds through it without a malfunction...in all fairness it doesn't say if they cleaned it , but I bet they didn't,, they are made to run dry, no oil at all on the internals, Tom Frye, famed trick shooter once used two 66's in "relay' in 1959 to shoot 100,010 2 3/4" wooden blocks tossed in the air , with only 6 misses, and not a single malfunction,, a record that stands to this day , from an ad dated in 1973..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For the record, I'm extremely careful with my rifles and very particular with cleaning & lubing. Just trying to get a collective feel for what you all think about ultimate long term durability. My wife always says I want everything to be elephant-proof, "just in case...".

Your group opinions are always informed and valuable, and always entertaining! :D The T/C sounds pretty good for a magazine feeder. The 66 was always what I thought to be THE toughest auto, something you've all confirmed. Why did they ever stop making them??:coco:

No mentioned the Buckmark rifle though. Thought that would have got a vote?

Would anyone really throw their rifle about like an old shovel? Least of all me, but it would be good to know it could take an accidental knock or fall without sustaining serious damage. :bthumb:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Get one of the Romanian AK 22 trainers. Built on a AK frame. Not a target gun but you can sit on it all you want if it makes you happy an still will shoot.:)
Ditto ! 10.000 rds. through mine and it's been a great and inexpensive way to learn the AK platform and practice ! (It's bugs worked out it carries over the unmatched AK reliability and durability) + it's buildable as a kit (Reciever will accecept 7.62x39 barrel ...:bthumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.