Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Totaly polished hammer's notch & new one

1267 Views 11 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  MassterMark
hi
i did modify my 597 and to achieve the lowest trigger pull weight i complitly polished the notch on my hammer:p:D
here it is:

so i'm wondering if I can make another notch on this hammer in the marked area, where original sphere of the hammer begin.
it may be sth shorter way for hammer travel to the firing pin, but maybe will be smoother.
but what about safety isues? :confused:
will it be OK or should i look for new hammer, maybe Volq or sth like it.
sincerely
mark
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
37,799 Posts
so i'm wondering if I can make another notch on this hammer in the marked area, where original sphere of the hammer begin.
I'm wondering too. :)
You can try and when it doesn't work get the VQ. The notch/ledge isn't just a notch, its cut on a specific angle to engage, and release, the sear. If you can duplicate it we'd all like to know. When mine wore out it got tossed.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first i will try with new notch, because it's not easy & cheat to get vq hammer in europe.
about angle i will try with more steep than in vq's, maybe sth like in original, and about 0,015'' deep (if sbd could do it).
if succeed i will report.:t

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did the notch. didnt use carbide, master uses thin hss drill, i think. it's ok too.:t
but now it makes some step to notch, so i think i will repair it and drill more in front of the notch, so it will be more round and hook won't possibly skip the notch.:cool:
will post when will be finished.:eek:
and report when installed:bthumb:

· Premium Member
37,799 Posts
In case you forgot what its supposed to look like. ;) A light polish with ss polish of the little ledge is what drops the pull weight for them that works. I don't have a side view pic of the angle.
Not my hammer pix.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
the final act

hi
me once again from this topic.
after making new notch it came evident that hammer force wasnt enough to fire good, because location of the new notch was little more back than original. so the angle of tensed hammer was changed and force from the spring was not enough for 100% firing my ammo.
it was like that was only every second bullet was fired, others wasnt.

so i had to make another improvement. and i did this:

i put nails infront of the spring's legs so i changed the angle of the spring and now it's more forward than upright. and with this manipulation i increase force of the spring.
and with this, my only 20 tested ammo was flawless fired.
hope that this will help sby if will have some problems with too small firing force.
sincerely

· Premium Member
3,628 Posts
hi
i did modify my 597 and to achieve the lowest trigger pull weight i complitly polished the notch on my hammer:p:D
here it is:

it may be sth shorter way for hammer travel to the firing pin, but maybe will be smoother.
but what about safety isues? :confused:
will it be OK or should i look for new hammer, maybe Volq or sth like it.
sincerely
mark
You basically trashed the hammer. All hammers of no matter what type or brand are only surface hardened in the contact areas. So anything beyond minor polishing with a softwheel and a light polishing compound that can actually remove metal will destroy its ability to sustain contact, meaning it will wear out fast. Trying to reproduce the old notch will not help as the action will not longer be correct. This is the reason gunsmithing requires a serious education. And the reason a competitive shooter like myself leaves this alone as you should. Polishing means just that. It is like waxing you car not grinding the paint off.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, i know that this is instant solution. even hammer's spring will wear out cus it has small tension all the time. but i realy dont know if the original hammer is hardened or not.
maybe i will hardened it someday. but right now i am aware that this gun wont last forever.
thx anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.