Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that JTOutfitters has the Utica TS 35 for like 59.95.

I see that everywhere else is more than double that.

Is this a good quality tool? How can they be THAT much cheaper.

Guess I am just a bit skeptical. Anybody have one of these.

· Registered
16,533 Posts
I do believe that this is a decent Torque Screwdriver. I have a Proto that I paid less than $50 for and it is now listed for $140!! I guess that is the way the Internet works. Supply and Demand.

Richard

· Registered
142 Posts
I am so glad this subject came up. I have been wondering why the price is so reasonable?...and wondering how good it is. This can be adjusted in one pound increments right? Some are in 5# increments I believe........gonna ride this thread like a stolen mule and if all looks good.......going to order one. I have a virgin cz varmit to go along with my other varmit........this one I am going to experiment with action screws........keep them posts coming guys!!!!

· Registered
3,702 Posts
Clarity,

I got one about a month and a half ago and am very pleased.

Yes it does adjust in 1lb increments. I was using a long handled 1/4" drive unit from Harbor Freight and it worked o.k., but the range only started out at 20in/lb and I didn't like that.

Also, this is very robust and compact. I got mine from Jtoutfitters for the price above and had it in about 2 days.

Get it, you won't be sorry.

It makes adjusting my CZ 452 American a breeze. I installed a set of the button hex head action bolts that I sell also and the combo is great.

Craig N.

· Registered
142 Posts
The Garrett Wade website has a torque screwdriver with 28 bit/drivers.......one fourth inch adapter........2-36 inch/pound adjustable....carrying case.....item no. 08G01.03.........sells for $49.95. Anyone used this? Any comments on it?

· Registered
3,702 Posts
Clarity,

I went to the website and looked at it. The only thing that I would caution against is that the pic of the torque wrench looks to have a sliding scale in the handle like the "Fat Wrench" from MidwayUSA. The thing with this is that it is hard to get repeatability.

The TS-35 1lb increments are on a calibrated dial and you have to pull down a locking collar and turn the dial each 1lb and the dial will lock into each 1lb increment giving great repeatability.

Other than that I'd give it a go if you don't mind that feature.

Craig N.

· Registered
142 Posts
Clarity,

I went to the website and looked at it. The only thing that I would caution against is that the pic of the torque wrench looks to have a sliding scale in the handle like the "Fat Wrench" from MidwayUSA. The thing with this is that it is hard to get repeatability.

The TS-35 1lb increments are on a calibrated dial and you have to pull down a locking collar and turn the dial each 1lb and the dial will lock into each 1lb increment giving great repeatability.

Other than that I'd give it a go if you don't mind that feature.

Craig N.
Thanks for the great follow-up on the torque screwdrivers.......ordering one today.

· Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the info about the Utica torque wrench. I'd been wanting a smaller wrench for a while, but the Fat Wrench was the only candidate in that price range.

Due to your reviews and advice I ordered the Utica from JTOutfitters. The price there is certainly lower than everywhere else I looked.

Thanks again for helping me spend my money and you're not even an ex-wife!

Steve

· Registered
3,702 Posts
That's great Steve.

I wanted to tell Clarity something that I forgot in my last post. So I'll tell both of you.

The TS-35 has one spectacular feature that I wasn't expecting. When you set the torque setting and tighten down a screw, bolt, whatever, and you reach the torque point: the driver slips past and you don't tighten any further. I like this feature because it's impossible to over-tighten with this thing. Contrary to the "automotive" type clicker style torque wrenches out there that the handle clicks or "breaks", but you are still able to apply pressure to the bolt. This is a bonus feature that I discovered when I opened the box and put it to use the first time.

Now comes the headaches of trying to get you smokepole tuned just right. :D

Craig N.

· Premium Member
58,033 Posts
Govenenor Easley makes me pay more than you guys and JT hoses you on shipping nearly 11.00 of less than 100 miles, but its a good wrench.:D

Gerald

· Registered
2,315 Posts
The Utica is a high quality wrench. The reason they appear to be selling so cheap is that they have been purchased as a "NEW" surplus item from various companies that have them stocked. The lower price is because they have had them & never used them, but the calibration date has expired. This doesn't mean they are out of calibration, but it would cost to have the calibration re-certified. In large quanities my guess is they can purchase new for little more than the time & cost to have them re-certified after they sell the older ones.

· Registered
60 Posts
Received my Utica from JTOutfitters today. Fast shipping too! What a nice tool. Solid.

The date of calibration for mine was 1985. That's a couple of ex-wives ago.

Thanks for the heads-up here on this forum.

Steve

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.