Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last wednesday I had the day off from work and only had class from 12:00 to 12:50. After playing phone tag (4 calls back and forth) with my friend Matt, he told me he was going down to pick up his bow from a shop and he wanted to go hunting tonight but didnt have a stand up. This is a first year bowhunter.

Hmm.. It was cold and cloudy and windy. The sun was starting to show about 3:00. Anyways, 4:30 we finally get to the bow stands. Sunny, warmer, slight wind. 15min. a deer came up behind me in the woods and started wheezing, (alarm) they normal wheeze then run off. This one wheezed, then some more then a whole lot more. I have never heard one wheeze more than 10 times. I stopped counting at 50, and it wheezed like 25 more after that. I finally climbed down and went walking through where it had been. Well anyways I ended up still hunting through some woods leaving my friend in a different stand on the field with no idea of where I was going. When I came back out about an hour before dark, I crawled up in my stand, and I could see a deer below my friend. (200 yards away).

Well I'm sitting there thinking he is fast asleep, next thing I hear is the arrow on impact and then some brush crashing and a light thump. Hmm. Well he shot, did he hit anything? I walk down there and he was just histarical, I think I... I... shot... anyways I found his arrow. Bright red blood. Well a few spots of blood led us about 40yards away to nice yearling fork (2x2) whitetail. First bow kill for him.

Just was board and thought that I could give someone some reading.

Will post pics some day when i get throw away camera devoloped :)
Dean_311

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Dean

Will give your buddy something to
remember for a long time.
The deer is in the freezer,but the tail will keep growing and growing.:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hunting Trip Repaid

Last Sunday, my friend matt called and left a voice mail said come out tonight and we will go duck hunting. :) Me a novice duck hunter out of blinds, said ok. The two of us load the canoe shells calles dog, and whatever else. We get to river that opens into a big bog with rice. Ok, as we were unloading a few kids from highschool were unloading to, we discussed with them where they were going and where we would go.

We paddled down the river to a little opening, and setup on the edge of the river.
Had so much fun, dumped 9 ducks 5 teal and 4 woodducks. but we could only find 3 teal and one woody :( Very dissappointing. We ended up getting the most shooting off of the whole river :) and had fun to boot.

Hunting trip defintly repaid.

Not the trick is to get him out bow hunting again so he has to take me pheasant hunting in SW Minnesota. :)

Dean_311

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dean,

Sounds like a Great time, I also love Duck/Goose hunting.. well actually, just about any hunting period, I live for it!, Just a tip when river hunting for ducks, espescially Woody's, unless they are dead as a door nail they will dive underwater and grab ahold of anything they can with their bills and they wont let go, they will drown themselfs before letting go. so just a tip, if you dump 1 and he is still kicking put another round in him on the water so you dont loose them..

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I learned that with mallards as well. The dog we had with us, I had heard nothing but storys about how great this dog used to be. The dog now being 8 years old, and being over heated twice to the point of almost death, has taken its toll. He has definetly not performed as he used to. The first duck I shot as it started to get up as we were floating down to the hole, the dog bailed out retrieved and came back. :) Second duck, I dumped out on the bog, Matt and the dog went walking over there, no luck figured we would find it later. Dumped a teal right in front of use, dog retrieved that one. We paddled and found two more, and then we turned to the bog and let the dog search for the better part of 30 min. Nothing, we could tell he was close, found several feathers and the dog kept tracking over the same spot, but just no luck. :-/ Oh well. I think the dog is done duck hunting.

Dean_311

·
Registered
14 Posts
well i have had a doe weeze at me for like 30 mins one day last year while bowhunting. I thought the thing was having a secure. If it wasn't the second weekend of the season i probably would of shot a arrow at it. every other time a deer has caught me it, weezed/snouted stomped its feet and took off. never stayed around like this one. it was kinda funny having it move its head back and forth trying to figure out what i was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.