Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would really like to have more input on how often and how to clean these little gems "C Z " (22) . Have background in long-range centerfires that I put a brush down for every round that leaves the barrel. I have heard people on this forum talk about bore guides ,wondering who makes the best.

And on this possible historic night I propose a toast.

" To a long life and a merry one,
To a quick death and an easy one,
To a pretty girl and a loving one,
To a cold bottle and an other one "

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
As far as bore guides I would try the one that bob hahin sells. If I remember it is around $15-20 and made out of derlin and fits very well. I have used mine for around 6 months now and am very happy with it. His email is:
[email][email protected] [/EMAIL]

I think you will be very happy with the guide. You should also go with an uncoated rod. I have been using a dewey coated and it is a little tight on the bore.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The .17 caliber Dewey rods work fine, but I have not been able to find a coated .22 rod that was not tight.

As far as "how often" goes I have not cleaned my barrel since last summer and it seems to be fine. With a 22 you do not have the same issues you have with copper fouling in a centerfire rifle. The way I look at it the barrel comes to some sort of equlibrium that would be disrupted by cleaning. I do clean the bolt and action occasionally. That is my approach, you will need to find what suits you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cleaning a 452

Sam,
The gear I use to clean my 452 American in .22 mag is as follows:
- .17 cal coated Dewey rod
- a Dewey 17-A Adapter ($2.95)
- a Dewey 22-JM Jag ($2.95)
- the bore guide from Bob Hahin
- .22 cal patches
- any .22 cal bronze or nylon brush with an 8/32" threaded male end will also fit the adapter. (NOTE: a lot of people don't "brush out" their barrels. They just use patches and sometimes their favourite cleaning solution.)

Clean Away !!! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I generally only clean 22s after a situation where they could have gotten dirty/wet (hunting), accuracy goes away, I have an ammo problem, or I am putting them away for a long time.

A cautionary tale on cleaning 22s - friend had an old Stevens single shot that was shooting great, we looked at it and noticed a ton of lead and crud in the bore, he cleaned it carefully and then it didn't shoot worth a hoot.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
While I clean my target rifles regularly, I clean my CZ rifles only occasionally. To be honest, a weed-whacker line with one melted into a ball and a dry patch is usually all I use in my 452s. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you guys are killing me.........

I tto come with the long distance centerfire experience and cleaning is a major issue in grouping with those rifles. You guys have put out some great info on this site and I've learned alot. I will some day try your theory. Today I just can't bring myself to do it. NOT CLEAN? Most have said all are different and each has it's own temperment. Reminds me of someone who told me the best way to break in a baseball glove was to drop it in a bucket of water, let it soak, take it out and let t dry, and then oil it up real good. I just couldn't do that with a Rawlings "Heart of the Hide" one hundred eighty dollar glove. May have worked but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Here's to new experiences, knowledge, and friends!

Gov

"If it lays flat and holds still we'll print on it!"

·
Registered
296 Posts
Amen!

Ledbetter said:
Clean your .22 all you want. Then shoot 50 or 100 rounds through it and the groups will tighten up again.
I hardly every run ANYTHING besides a bulet down my silhouette and I would dare to say that accuracy is about as good as it gets. Sunday while checking zeros I had 3 rounds touching (raged one holer) at the Turkeys (77 METERS). Nothing un-common for these guns, I had actually forgot I done it.

Clean it and it takes a box or so to get it to do that on a regular basis.

Just my .021

Geo

·
Registered
618 Posts
I clean my 22LR every time I go to the range

My cleaning regimen each session consists of the following

Before I start:

1. Open bolt, take out PatchWorm, thread on patch, pull through bore from chamber to muzzle, lay PatchWorm and patch aside.

After shooting:

Same as #1. except I reverse patch to put clean side out. :D

Other than that, it's a couple times a year with Hoppes#9 and a nylon brush, followed by patches. Then followed up with flitz and a light coat of oil. Works for me.

Of course with my new 452 17HMR, I'll use centerfire cleaning procedures since it shoots copper-jacketed bullets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.