Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this world of 10/22 building. I may be crazy and about start chasing rabbits, but I have decided to build a pair of 10/22s I have done a fair amount of reading old posts and am still confused about the subject. bed just the action...bed just the bbl...float the bbl...bed part of bbl and action....IM SO CONFUSED!! Many have said that the alum reciever is soft and isnt real good to free float a 18in bull bbl. off it. Many others say its fine. Is there a majority concensus on the subject, Im sure all combinations have there advantages. I "think" I have an understanding of the principles of forces at work and tecniques involved ans should be able to carry out these modifications. The site is great and Ive been having a blast reading the posts, Nicest internet community ive seen before.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
486 Posts
Different people suggest different things. I've heard to bed the reciever and 2" of bbl, but my gunsmithing book syas to bed the bbl. (6" or so) and free float the reciever because it is weak aluminum. You can freefloat a carbon fiber bbl or use an AMT or Aftermarket reciever made of a harder metal.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would bed the barrel up to the balance point (without scope attached), which is about 2" or so past the receiver on most bull barrels. If you take the action out of the stock you can find the approximate balance point by trying to get it to rest across your finger.

This would keep the receiver from being stressed under its own weight, and plastic strain on the aluminum over time is probably the primary concern when it comes to bending things out of shape. The rest of the barrel can be free floated and doesn't need to touch the stock anywhere.

Another option would be to bed only the action and put a bughole tuner somewhere in the forend of the stock. The tuner would push upward on the barrel and prevent it from stressing the receiver.

As to which is best, or if another method is better, I don't know and I believe that it has a lot to do with the individual gun. Based on my experience bull barrels do better with bedding and floating and sporter barrels do better with a bughole tuner. But that is just my experience, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think it will make a noticible difference on most 10-22, or at least it didn't on the 2 I have. I shot both of them enough before I bedded the actions to know how they shot. I then bedded both actions only and saw no difference so I bedded approx. 2" of the barrels and still saw such a small difference at 75 yards that I didn't think it was worth the effort that I had put into them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bed the action sounds like the way to go. Will bedding first inches of bbl hurt accuracy? From what Ive read here, I would guess its the way to go. Has anyone found a real improvement with a barrel mounted scope over the basic reciever mount?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.