Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, We are all here looking for one thing. The pinnacle of accuracy. So let's share our successes. What is your tightest .22 group ever? If you have pics for us to drool over and what type of ammo and set up. distance, etc? I'm sure you guys have some good ones to humble the rest of us. Let's see 'em.:eek:

·
Registered
18,731 Posts
This is not the tightest, but second. I cannot find my best one. It was a full sheet target to proive no other shots in there. This one was with my dads Anschutz BR-50, shooting RWS R-50, 5 shots at 50 yards. Group outside to outside measured .286. Bullet diameter was .214, so the group score would have been .072". My best target is just barely over a single bullet hole with the same gun on a different day.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Can't compare to Gizzy's group, but here are mine:

Tightest at 100 meters, Annie 1913 w/Leupold scope @18X, Remington Eley Match EPS:
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z97/anniegkn/?action=view&current=DSCN1024.jpg

10 rounds at 50 meters, Fed. 711B, 0.350":
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z97/anniegkn/?action=view&current=Annie1913.jpg

And here is her twin sister, who wears an aperture sight at 50 meters, 20 rounds, Federal 510, 0.790":
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z97/anniegkn/?action=view&current=DSCN1027.jpg

gkn

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rifle: VOSTOK CM-2 (My oldest sons gun).
Scope: BSA 36X
Ammunition: Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS
REST: Wichita with Protector Bags
Bench: Concrete
Range: 50 yards

Best 5 Shot Group to Date: .096

Bob

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Cooper LTV.
4X12 Bushnell 3200.
Wolf MT.
Outside to outside .287 -.180=.107
That was 1/19/06 Don't think I'll ever match it again.
Seem to shoot worse each year. Now if I shoot half inch I'm happy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
CZ 452 Varmint
Redfield 6x18x40 Accu-Trac
Wolf Match Target
5 shots 50 yards-.061
I had the Varmint glass and pillar bedded and an extra receiver screw added to the tang. Haven't equaled it yet and probably won't but who knows-I might get lucky again. Barry

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
My best recorded 5, 5 shot group was shot last year in the Small group match and it was .286 net and the best single 5 shot group was .156 net. Have probably shot better at some time but not recorded.

Rifle 64MPR, Hoehn Tuner, 36X Weaver, Lapua M ammo

Last year I was shooting quite a bit and was shooting 5 shot groups a little more than 1/3 of an inch fairly consistent.

Richard

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here's a couple targets from a few days ago.

Anschutz 54 1807 off a bench rest with the stock unsupported.
50 yards
16x Barska scope
Federal Champion Target (blue box) ammo. I was outta Wolf Match Target. :(

I hadn't shot in months... **** I'm rusty.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Best I can do, So-Far

Anschutz 64-MPR, 50yd, 5-shot, Eley Match EPS:

I have a tuner for this rifle (above) but have not yet tested the "good" ammo to find the best. After that, the tuner goes on.

Anschutz Exemplar (10" barrel), 25yd, 5-shot, Eley Standard:

And this, same gun:

And, not an Anschutz, but one of my favorites anyway.
Birmingham Small Arms Martini, 50yd, 5-shot, Eley Standard, peep sights:

Labguy

·
Registered
913 Posts
You guys are certainly getting my blood up to

start the process of tricking 4 rds into following the first into the Black Hole of Accuracy. That's where you pour time, $$, many tears and torn hairs right down it, never see them again and try and remember that it is "fun".

Still haven't bought Steve's book yet but boy do I need to.............Just like Snoopy said: "Curse you Red Baron":p . Now I know what all I need to do before I can even attempt to get serious. Arggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh:D

Oh yeah, STICKY mat'l fo' sho'.

·
Registered
975 Posts
start the process of tricking 4 rds into following the first into the Black Hole of Accuracy. That's where you pour time, $$, many tears and torn hairs right down it, never see them again and try and remember that it is "fun".

Still haven't bought Steve's book yet but boy do I need to.............Just like Snoopy said: "Curse you Red Baron":p . Now I know what all I need to do before I can even attempt to get serious. Arggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh:D

Oh yeah, STICKY mat'l fo' sho'.
Do you have ANY idea how many times we (any of us) can put 4 rounds into a world-class group and then blow the 5th shot to hell and back? Nerves, anticipation, etc. When I shoot for groups now, I never have a spotter tell me how I'm doing because if 4 rounds are a one-holer I get spooked and blow the last shot...:(

Now, I just shoot all 5 and then look.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Still haven't bought Steve's book yet but boy do I need to.............
AND, now that Lapua and Eley have made so many changes to their ammo lineup, some of the "good" ammo tested in the book is no longer available or has at least had some manufacturing changes..:( Bummer.

I have about 4000 rounds of "expensive" ammo yet to be tested in my Anschutz, but won't be able to get the same thing in the future. So, I am now using up $8.00 to $15.00 per box ammo (mostly Lapua) to just run through my pistols and plinkers. No sense finding that perfect ammo-to-gun combination just to start all over again. There is no way in (anything!) I am going to shell out $25+ for one box of Lapua X-Act.

A certain "well-known" supplier told me that sales of the current Lapua offers are dropping like a rock.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Labguy: I have a little different take on the ammo situation.

Fellow wants to trade his 1K gun for mine. He had some hairbrained idea or is that harebrained(?) for a .25 something or other whacko wildcat. I asked why he thought a 25 was a better idea than the 6.5's seeing as there were so many pill choices. He didn't really have much of an answer but the point I am heading toward is he had some Starke 25 match bullets, abt 500. Well, they'd last thru this first bbl but probably not much more @ 60+ gr of powder per shot.
Told him I didn't see the need to work up a load only to have the bullets no longer available. Starke stopped making pills several years ago.

So, back to topic at hand. If you have a thou or so of several flavors of known "good stuff", why not shoot that for comp till it's gone then start your search again? You are searching now so setting up for these is what you'll be doing anyway & if'n you have some in quantity, wouldn't it be same/same?

Maybe there is more I don't know. Always the possibility of finding some of the same numbers here and there along the way to bolster the ammo bank.

·
Registered
975 Posts
So, back to topic at hand. If you have a thou or so of several flavors of known "good stuff", why not shoot that for comp till it's gone then start your search again?
That's a real good point, but some preliminary testing last fall has already ruled out quite a bit of what I have and lead me back to several variants of Eley and RWS R-50. I know I won't be sticking with Lapua so all that can be used up in lesser guns. I only have one box of R-50 left so I am Ok there. I just got my newest Anschutz last fall and only had it out twice before we got hit with an early winter..:( I need to find a "best" ammo yet before I put on the tuner. And, not out yet this spring/summer except with a few handguns because of all the flooding; range is a lake and would need a boat to place targets at 50 yards.

I exaggerated a bit because not all of the 4000 rounds are $8+ per box; some of it is in the $6 range. What I don't have is any SK or Wolf, and after seeing McNarr's targets, and others, I have to at least get some of that to test and maybe stick with for most purposes.(?)

As for "comp", if that means competition, we don't have any at all nearby so I usually just shoot against myself trying to better my previous "best" targets. The only competitions near me are steel plate shoots with handguns only; centerfire and rimfire, both scoped and open sights (semi-autos) and one revolver class. I already have guns for those classes.

Labguy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.