Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Three Rifles New to Me

863 5
The Gods have shined on me and I am now the proud owner of three more .22's. Can you tell me year of mfg.:
Marlin 39A SN 15259XXX
Marlin 57M SN 69361XXX
Wincheter 9422 SN F177XXX

The 39 is in like new condition. Original owner said he fired less than 20 rounds - still has Marlin sticker on forearm. It came with a scope mounting kit, but I want to attach a receiver site. Is the 39A already drilled for any receiver sites. I see two screws on left side of receiver- are they for a site? If not, any suggestions?

The 57M's receiver appears to be already tapped for a receiver site - any suggestions for a receiver site? Also, any additional info on the gun?

Lastly, the 9422 already has receiver sites and will use as is.

Thanks!!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well the 2 marlins are easy The 39 was made 1985 and the 57 in 1969,the winchester will have to wait till I get home or untill Big Mike sees this.More importently though is how can I luck up and get 3 great guns at one time and get them past the wife.Congrats on the rifles.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Marlin Dates

Barney,

For the year of manufacture for the "Marlins", there is a 'Sticky' Post at the top of this Forum: :eek:

Marlin 39A SN 15259XXX = 1985 :)
Starting in 1973, the year of manufacture maybe determined by subtracting the first two digits of the serial number from 100:
Example: SN 2512345 would have been made in 1975 [100 - 25 = 75].
Marlin 57M SN 69361XXX = 1969
[ 1969 = 69 ]

I can't help on the 9422...! ! :(
I see two screws on left side of receiver- are they for a site?
If they are high, towards the rear, and plugged with filler screws, they are for a receiver sight.

Hope this helps....! ! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
41mag: Thanks for the info. Shhhh! Don't tell my wife.

Big Mike: Thank you for the ino and your Sticky - Sometimes I fail to look before I ask.

What do you know about the Marlin 57M? Looks something like the Ruger lever .22. Or perhaps the Ruger looks like the Marlin. I'll have to get use to its short lever throw. Why did Marlin stop making them? Any problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
Barney,

The information on the model 57M in the attached ZIP archive is from the book: Marlin Firearms: A History of the Guns and the Company that made them by Lt.Col. William S. Brophy, USAR, RET.

It's a great book, I had to get Borders to order it and I picked it up last week. I never knew that Marlin made a line of pump action rifles until I started to read this book. Very informative. I would reccomend it to anyone interested in Marlin Firearms, however it did cost $75.00

Regards Bill:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is the 39A already drilled for any receiver sites. I see two screws on left side of receiver- are they for a site? If not, any suggestions?
Yes, those 2 screws are for a receiver sight. The Williams 5D or the Williams FP (foolproof) will both fit. Lyman also makes one but I'm not sure of the model # (I think it is a 66). For a little more money, you can also go with the Marbles Tang mtd. sight. You do have to drill another hole in the tang, but it looks much more authentic (lever actionis???) :).

I just put the williams 5D on mine and it works great. The only different between it and the FP is that the FP is click adjustable. (a handy feature if you want to pay a little extra) I order mine from http://www.midwayusa.com and I had it in 2 days.

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.