Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Thread Locker

577 8
Have a couple questions about thread locking compounds. It's mentioned in a number of instructions for scope mounts and some hiviz sight mounts to use a thread locking compound to secure the screws that hold them to the firearm. Which variety would that be? There are a number of types that range from the light hold blue, or even nailpolish or Cyanoacrylate to super-hold, "never to remove it again" types.

I have the Loctite blue for small fasteners, would this be adequate for most rifle and handgun applications or should I step up to the red variety? I would still like to remove the screws somewhere down the road of life, but want to eliminate the chance of them vibrating loose due to recoil.

TIA,

Will
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Actually, referring to it by color isn't totally accurate. Loctite makes several different types of products and some of their 'blue' would not be appropriate for either base or rings screws. Probably the best for these is the 'purple', or more correctly their product #222MS. If you want to see what they have to say about their different products take a look at:
http://www.loctite.com/pdf/threadlocking.pdf

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
LocTite #242

Willamette,

Normally "LocTite" Threadlocker 242 [Medium - Blue] thread locking compound is recommended for use on the scope base to receiver mounting screws. Use of the "red" could present some serious disassembly problems should you ever want to remove the scope base.

LocTite Threadlocker 242 Removable

LocTite Threadlocker 242 Removable < < Link

Hope this helps....! ! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Willamette said:
Have a couple questions about thread locking compounds. It's mentioned in a number of instructions for scope mounts and some hiviz sight mounts to use a thread locking compound to secure the screws that hold them to the firearm. Which variety would that be? There are a number of types that range from the light hold blue, or even nailpolish or Cyanoacrylate to super-hold, "never to remove it again" types.

I have the Loctite blue for small fasteners, would this be adequate for most rifle and handgun applications or should I step up to the red variety? I would still like to remove the screws somewhere down the road of life, but want to eliminate the chance of them vibrating loose due to recoil.
GunTite

...it's made by the same people as LocTite...but it's green.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I use the GunTite, too. Never had a problem with it. It holds when it should and comes apart when you want it too. It's probably more expensive buying it in this version, but I know I have the right stuff, and even that little tube lasts me forever.:)

·
Registered
564 Posts
My son has used the Guntite product with success as well. I'm not sure which Loctite product is in it as the number on the tube doesn't show up in their charts. Doesn't matter if it works the way you need it to though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have used locktite and nail polish also, but none of them will hold screws in place as good as a little dab of Burchwood Caseys' "True Oil" stock finish. It will harded and hold the screws and will allow screws to be taken out as needed.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Good idea! I've never thought about Tru Oil. I always have some of that around and my wife won't complain when I 'borrow' her finger nail polish. I'll bet it would work well on trigger adjustment screws too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.