Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Is 3x9x40 also enough power for a .22 WMR.
Yes, it is plenty for small game well beyond 100 yards and target within 100 yards. It's just that the WMR isn't really suitable for serious target shooting.

I've taken a small groundhog at 165 yards. I had no problem seeing good details at that range. Admittedly, it was a lucky shot though. I use the Nikon with a nikoplex reticle - a simple cross hair.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
At least for me, the only animal I'd attempt a shot at, in excess of 150 yards, would be a crop eating groundhog. I had a low expectation to make a hit. However, I had a lot of practice with my set up and with that particular CCI lot. Therefore, I also had the drop dialed in with Nikon's SpotOn app - spun the elevation to put the cross hairs on target. But, at that distance, wind moves a 40g round quite a bit, so ya never know.

At distances in excess of 100 yards I don't think there is such a thing as a "quick shot," because your stretching the WMRs capabilities. The cone of fire begins to really open up. This requires extra care and thinking.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'm not opposed to using the traditional crosshairs but wouldn't it be easier to have a hold that you could quick reference to instead of guessing just in case you do have to make a 100 yard plus shot. ...
BTW, if your not taking the time to also use a range finder, you will be "just guessing."

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Not trying to change the subject here but did you consider the 17wsm? Zero at 50, a little over a half inch high at 100 and dead on again at 140 yards. And wind drift a fraction of the 22 mag. I have both and if I plan on varmint hunting at 100 yards plus I take the 17 wsm. I usually only use the 22 mag for hunting in the woods. Don't really need a moa reticle with the 17 wsm. Now if you get a 17 wsm you probably will want a little more magnification. Please understand I am in no way trying to talk you out of the 22 mag. I just want to point another option. I have both and they both have their purpose and would not want to give either of them up.
Actually, this is a really good point, if your needs stretch beyond 100 yards. The 17s trajectory is better suited than the .22. The ballistic coefficient of the 17 rimfire round is just better than a .22 rimfire round. I've seen the capability of the .17 to keep extraordinarily tight groups on a 200 yard range. A 22WMR can only dream of that kind of accuracy at that range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts