Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
For hunting & target, the 3-9 should be enough power; the 22MWR isn't really a "target" round anyway, so more power may be wasted on that. My RAR standard model (8321) has a Nikon 3-9x40 Target EfR scope on it, the discontinued version, that I picked up for $140 when Cabela's ran a sale. It works well for my purposes, which are informal target shooting and a bit of hunting & varmint control. I also have the new Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x33 EFR scope on another gun. I like them both. I haven't shot them side by side, so I can't provide a direct comparison of their relative merits in that regard. But I've had no problems with the old Nikon, although the 1/4" at 50 yards turret adjustments are not great for finer target work, a problem the new version has corrected.

Two other significant differences: the Leupold is smaller and lighter, and the Nikon is about $100 cheaper. However, the Leupold 3-9x40 Rimfire MOA reticle version (non-AO) is about the same price as the Nikon EFR scope, but is less scope value in my opinion.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts