Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my brother-in-law's old JC higgins semi-auto 22, and it's one really nice rifle. Tube magazine is easy to load, and so far after 200 rounds, only 1 jam.

Naturally, I wnat to get my own 22, but for some reason the newer 22's just don't seem to be made as well as the older ones.

I've been looking at the Ruger 10/22 stainless steel, hear it's a good rifle, but it just doesn't seem as well made as the old JC higgins.

I've also been looking at the Browning BL-22, and it looks like a hearty old style 22 (at least from the catalog pictures).

Now I've stumbled onto Thompson Center, and hope you guys can shed some light on quatliy, etc.

I only plan to use on the range for target practice/plinking, and have no desire to go crazy with modifications. I just want a good solid 22 auto.

Any helpful assistance will be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have you considered just getting a used JC Higgins?

I wasn't interested in a lot of tinkering, so I crossed the 10/22 off my list early. While shopping around for a CZ 452 bolt, I ran across a Classic for $200, which I couldn't resist. It looks and feels great, and mine seems very well put together. T/C also has a great lifetime warranty on their products. After a few hundred rounds of break in, mine has functioned very reliably with an assortment of high and standard velocity rounds. It just needs to be kept clean. Some highlights of the solid construction are the steel receiver, and threaded barrel.

The Browning does look nice, and a lever could be a lot of fun. I saw someone at the range shooting a Browning Auto Takedown rifle, and it was beautiful, but I think I'll need an M.D. behind my name before I can afford one.

The Ruger magazine is cool, but I don't regret getting the Classic. I plan on having this rifle for a long time, and, for a first gun, the warranty made the difference for me. Good luck with your decision. Hope you're happy with whatever you decide to get.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think Brian said it pretty well. The TC Classic has a semi match chamber, so it has very good accuracy, but the chamber is tight and the gun has to be kept clean. I can easily shoot 3/4" groups at 50 yds. with a sandbag front rest, and I have seen 1/2" groups with top shelf ammo (Eley Match EPS). I clean the bore after each range session and field strip the action and clean it per the instruction manual, about one in 750 to 1,000 rounds. Mine like Militech lube.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The Classic stands out among todays auto loaders because it is made in the old fashion traditional way guns used to be manufactured. Steel, walnut stock, threaded barrel and fit and finish, they shoot pretty darn good too. If you have your mind set on an autoloader this one will make you happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.