Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

THIS should start something interesting....

1K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  M2HB 
#1 · (Edited)
This could probably go in rimfire as well, but I wasn't sure where to post it.

I'm totally stumped and in trouble... I've got about $900 in the gun fund at the moment....

AND I'M TOTALLY OUT OF IDEAS ON WHAT TO BUY!

i'm a blank slate - I'm not familiar with brands/models enough to have a bias for or against anything....

The current collection:
BM hunter
Charger with basic mods
10/22 sporter with basic mods
SR1911
Mossberg 12ga
Tika .243

so... what's the next step? About the only consideration I have takes me away from a big bore rifle. I want something comfortable to use regular at the range. There's only so much 200+ yd target shooting I like to do with a hunting rifle before it gets a little boring. I like hunting, but it's more of a do it when I feel like it, rather than an alternative lifestyle for me. (don't get me wrong though - I'm way, way pro hunting!) Don't want to touch the rugers anymore as I love them perfect the way they are.

I guess if anything I might be leaning towards a pistol, however I guess I don't have a "black rifle" or a cheapo AK style yet either...

I'd love to find a pistol that I can teach the 13 year old to use. She really struggles with the BM to the point where it's actually dangerous. However - hand her the rifle or the charger and it's scary in the exact opposite way.

I find that I love reloading as well, but within that parameter - I don't want 27 different powders and primers to mix up so I'd want to stick with a caliber that works well with w231 (as it's become my go to for reloading the 45)

Okay--- have at it! convince me that your idea is the best one! My research so far has taken me to the FPSRussia you tube channel...

See less See more
#2 ·
I got in your spot about two years ago. I'm getting a little long in the tooth as they say and I've done it all over the years. I needed to get into something new to keep my interest in shooting at a peak. Found it....big bore single shots. I ended up with a Sharps 1874 45-70 and a Winchester High Wall in 45-70. Shooting these with a load that duplicated the guns they used back in the day, they're surprisingly soft to shoot. I shoot 405 grain bullets at around 1300 fps and they are actually pleasant to shoot. They have rainbow trajectorys but they will group around 1.0" five shots with the correct load. I don't shoot black powder out of them simply because it's too much hassle to clean them. There are a LOT of powders out there that will give excellent results without the cleaning hassle. It's fun to work up the loads, get them out and bench them, and even more fun to hunt with them. In two years I've collected four whitetail with them. Awsome performance on game. Look into it.

#3 ·
I vote AR-15 as it is one of the most versatile guns ever made. I think a 16" barrel makes a lot of sense unless your going to do a lot of long range shooting or DCM service rifle competition. If your wanting to hunt 16" will do but there are some really good 18" 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC that really make a fantastic hunting arm.

I shoot AR-15's in 22 rimfire more than any other rifle and in handguns I shoot 1911 in 22 rimfire. My primary CCW gun is a Glock 27 and I have a dedicated Glock 26 with AA 22 conversion and a Glock 17 frame with a Advantage Arms 22 conversion. I shoot these guns more than any others.

I also have a model 15 S&W 38 special, a Model 18 22 rimfire combat masterpiece and a SS Taurus model 94 4 inch 22 LR revolver that get shot a few times a year. I also have a Henry 22 lever action which is great fun.

#6 ·
While I have quite a few more options to pull out of the safe, every gun purchase I make is the same. "What next."

The answer lay in the dark recesses of your grey matter.;) If you are getting your child into shooting, as I am, your money could not be better spent than on a gun both of you can shoot.

In my case my 6yo's favorites are my 22 lever gun and my Bushmaster Predator. Both are easy for him to shoot. I put a lower with a collapsable stock on the AR and he shoots it off the bench. He loves shooting the 22 and 223's.

#9 ·
.22 revolver might be a good start...

A .22 revolver might be a good start, and if it is small, the 13 year old daughter will love it. My first thought would be to get a Ruger Bearcat. That would still leave you the bulk of your gun funds for something else. If a .22 rifle for her is in the works, a CZ Lux will be terrific and you can use it too.

#11 ·
Just spend a little of it on a Swiss K-31 Straight pull Walnut stock 7.5x55 plenty of match grade swiss Ammo out there NON-corrosive'

Get A all matching one serial numbers, The action will make the range crowd stand and stare. The ones I had over the years are great! Made like a swiss watch

#13 · (Edited)
I'm not much on convincing someone else of anything. I'll make two points, you don't have a bolt action rimfire in your collection. If you're looking for a rimfire bolt gun, take a hard look at CZ's, new or used in good condition. You can get one, a decent scope, and still have money in your gun fund.

PS: If you like FPSRussia, look at Hickok45's youtube channel.

Enjoy whatever you get, and don't look back.

#15 ·
Service grade U.S. Rifle Caliber .30 - M1. A.K.A the famous M1 Garand. Get one from CMP for about $650 delivered. Iconic piece of history, and the SG rifles from CMP are in very good condition.

Get a couple of cans of surpls Greek 30-06 ammo from CMP while you are at it.

And yes, I do have one.

Hector

#16 ·
50-50

50% of the fund into a firearm you AND your youngster agree upon while looking at them together...:bthumb:

50% into a unexpected gift for the significant other as a nice surprise.....:eek:

Never know....it may develop into future gun funds growing twice as large twice as fast...;)

My Browning Maxxus Sporting turned into a LG Washer/Dryer this week....:eek:

#18 ·
very true - but I am open to the opinions of others as I'm not that knowledgeable about many guns yet. posting this kind of question leads me in directions I might have never considered before, plus gives me tons of research work to do on different makes of guns I've never heard about - or may have passed up on a rack not knowing that they exist.

I'm still developing what I like and what I don't - and there's no better way to do that than to try out a bunch of different stuff!

#19 ·
Talked with the little one yesterday - she flat out does not want a rifle, even a youth sized one. We went and tried a few youth models that the local sporting goods store carries. (no ruger youth available though) There was a pink AR styled one (remmington? I think) that caught her eye. She wasn't interested in looking at pistols though - maybe some other time. On the way home she said her favorite gun by far is the charger. soo.... I'm half tempted to buy a second one and we can do shoot off's together. Then again - it might hone my pistol skills to shoot against her with the charger too....

Aside from that, I got to try a few different ones out last night. got a good thing going with one of the LGS's who lives out of town. I can shoot any used gun in the place, and he's got a few "testers" from new models. so I handed him a couple bills to cover the cost of ammo and his time and we set to work:

Ruger blackhawk. Nice, but Def, sure now that I'm not a single action fan. so that's out

FNp-9 9mm. pointed very natural for me. decent grip - but trigger was like pulling a log chain. nope

Sig P220 in 9mm. Kinda liking that one, not the prettiest thing ever - but it sure did feel like it belonged in my hand. Maybe it's from shooting the .45 so much but I don't think I had any muzzle flip. He's a little overpriced I think for a used one but it's interesting to say the least.

Ruger Gp100 in .357 mag. OK, but I think my budy's stainless S&W 686 has got it beat in terms of feel in the hand. (and I gotta give the edge to looks...)shooting was similar enough though. - Gonna hold out for the original I guess

Taurus model in .357. darn small grips...

Bersa thunder 380. cute. sights (for me) bite. but a nice shooter within it's limitations

ruger lCP. again, cute, darn nubby little sights. did one of these manufacturers copy the other? tossup between these two. Probably handy to have - but not really a "take it out and shoot it on the weekends"

M1 Garand. History in my hands. I can almost shoot it well enough to not embarrass myself. Love the "Ping" at the end of the clip. moved to the short list. But I think I'd get a bolt action .30 cal hunting rifle first. at a Grand, it's certainly at the top of my price range.

Mossberg synthetic stainless .270 light and easy to carry - also too light to absorb recoil. (Then again - if I can ditch buck fever - should need only one shot - right?) maybe 30-06 than I can share ammo with the garand

Rem 700 in 6.5x55 sweede. Sweeeeete.... really sweeeete... now we're talking. too bad it's NFS. What a tease... But that's on the list for sure, despite the odd caliber. certainly not a SHTF gun.

He had no "black" rifles in .223 but I kinda know how the S&W model feels.
but he has a S&W AR style .22 with a bushnell holo sight. that was cool. I'm kinda thinking about that one.

Thanks for the other posts here - I can go back and ask about specific ones now, who knows maybe he's got one or two of them around - or knows of something similar.

#21 ·
I've gone round and round with the double duty cartridges. I passed up a deal awhile back on an unfired marlin camp 45 for $600. Kinda kicking myself for that.

From what I understand - it used to be pretty much the way it used to be fr many people back in the day - one ammo 2 guns. I've not seen a .357 long gun before though.

#25 ·
I think a quality bolt action rifle in 22LR is a great choice, something with iron sights like a CZ 452. And a Beretta NEOS for your girl - the grip is great for smaller hands.

#27 ·
If you are going to buy something in the centerfire category, I think every one should have a quality AR. There are plenty to choose from.
For a 22 bolt action rifle, you could get a CZ and have plenty of money for a scope. If you want a high end 22 pistol, look for a nice S&W 41.
There are so many firearms to choose from you really need to narrow down the field.

#28 ·
If you build it they will "keep" coming

If you are going to buy something in the centerfire category, I think every one should have a quality AR. There are plenty to choose from.
For a 22 bolt action rifle, you could get a CZ and have plenty of money for a scope. If you want a high end 22 pistol, look for a nice S&W 41.
There are so many firearms to choose from you really need to narrow down the field.
Reminds me of the Costner movie..."if you build it they will come"...:eek:

You have a decent fund to build your own AR platform.....and if you build one with a different position stock your entire family can instantly adjust it and shoot in comfort!:bthumb:

WARNING: Building AR's is a very dangerous thing. Once you find out how easy it is you end up doing another and another and another.....:rolleyes:

#30 · (Edited)
Everybody is bringing up switch cal guns. Why not try a Thompson encore or g2. Any cal you want, pistol or rifle, pink stocks among a multitude of others. Single shot is great to learn on, can easily be seen if cocked. Can be built as experience grows and can be a really accurate gun. And as far as calibers. My son was 11 when he started shooting my guns, which he was a hair small for but shot great. He loves my 17hmr, and my 22-250. But he has also shot my 6mm and 30-06. I would go 204, or 220 swift, along with any rimfire. I just can't wrap my head around a 223 or 243, to many around. I want an ar bad, but i don't want the 556/223 one. It would be fun for 2 charters, hers the way she wants it against yours. Always fun competition.

#32 ·
Thanks for all the replies - However, I must've angered the gods or something with announcing my intentions of purchasing a new firearm aloud....

some form of twisted karma punishment and Friday the 13th hit me in a big way. I lost my new grill to a gust of wind (oh noes!!!I handn't even used it yet) and the wife's minivan. hit and run, liability insurance. lose lose there. crapola. Guess the gun fund just went towards a down payment on a replacement car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.