Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just came in from outside where I was shooting 10 rounds just over quarter size at about 50yds give or take. I spent the afternoon polishing guide rails and cleaning clips and doing all the tricks I learned here last night. For the first 49 rounds I was verry impressed! I should have read some of your tips a long time ago rather than continue to fight with this engineering marvel (or lack there of) we call the 597. The real fun started when the last shot I took must not have been chambered completely. I am now looking at and empty casing with the rim cracked almost all the way around and a split half way up the side, a broken magazine (the plunger is shattered, the metal is cracked, the bottom is broken and the spring is just gone) and a small empty groove in the bolt where the extractor, pin and spring used to be. My question is not so much what happened as it is what caused it? It does not appear to have been my fault, every other aspect of the action seems to be in order and smooth as glass, and I am fairly confident in my mechanical ability, being that I have had this apart a number of times with out making it worse than it was new out of the box. The ammo I had been shooting was some older Remington Viper22 that I am not particularly impressed with but needed to be used up. SO to make a long story short, I would like some input before I retire this poor thing and go to Wal-Mart and buy a Henry lever.:confused:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Send it back to Remington, with the busted up casing. Explain what happened. If it is a problem with the design, they should know about it.

That being said...

I don't know how a round that is not chambered properly could have fired, as the hammer should not have dropped on a bolt that is not all the way forward (in battery.) Even if the ammo is old, so what?

At least you are not hurt, as these things are disturbing enough without someone getting injured.

Let us know what you're gonna do. Even if you never want another 597, at least let Remington know what happened. They should be very interested in your incident. Polishing those metal parts should not have affected the timing or functionality of your firearm (unless you did more than just polish, but I'm assuming you didn't take a saw or file and start hacking away at your gun:D .)

Mike Doerner

·
Registered
135 Posts
spidergear,

i don't really know how it could happen. I unknowingly pull the trigger on many rounds that got stuck in the ejecting port, but never had one going off on me. But yes, send it to Remington, they should fix it for ya.

halik

·
Registered
135 Posts
also you might to have defective/weak casing. There wouldn't be much casing left if the round went off half chambered. Either with double charge or weak casing the casing would rupture that way.

if it went off half cambered the part that was not chambered would be totally gone.

halik

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am not going to send it to remington, mostly because I am stubborn and have had great sucess fixing it in the past, but also because there is no warranty left and I am not real big on boxing it up and sending it somewhere I never heard of for repairs. I took it apart this afternoon and think I can see what happend, There appears to be a worn spot in the hammer where the bolt slides to cock it. The going theory is that one empty casing got stuck like they do, and the second did not chamber all the way. Normaly the hammer cannot contact the firing pin untill the action is closed, but with this notch in the middle part of the hammer, It looks like it could strike much earlier. It appears that the action was not fully closed when the 'action' happened. How the notch was formed is still a mystery It see alot of use between deep cleanings (Im sorry now). I also can't explain why this didn't throw up a red flag while I was cleaning and polishing. I guess I just removed the lower and set it aside without realy looking at it. The bolt seems ok, so this is an excelent excuse for a Volquartsen hammer or something! For now I have laid the old 597 to rest for a while as I did find myself at Wall-Mart looking at a Henry lever action .22 when I found the best deal I have ever held in my hands. A $100 bolt action Savage. It aint pretty, but Wow! The grouping is unreal, and I cant get over the pull of the trigger. After about 1 clip every one who has shot it says they don't have to guess anymore when it will break, it just does. Exacly the same every time, with verry light pressure and almost no creep! I do miss the automatic feature as I find my self squeazing the trigger for a second round with a result of a whole lot of nothing. The 597 will get fixed and put back into service some day but for now I am more than satisfied not having to slap the bottom of the magazine to get bullets out! I am not trying to sway any of you from the Remington, its a fine gun and I definately wouldn't trade it for a Savage, but if you are looking for an inexpensive way to releave some Remmy frustration, I highly reccomend it

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Good news on the Savage! Somehow, that one got by the Quality Control guys with a non-lawyer type trigger. :p
The Remington 597 seems to be one of those guns people either swear by or swear at - I haven't seriously considered getting one yet, due to the bad press it's gotten. But a lot of owners do really like them. My inclination would be to fix it myself, too. I hate sending a gun away, if I figure I can fix it myself. I grew up as a "tinkerer". ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
On the 597 there is nothing to prevent the hammer from falling if the action is not closed. It's entirely possible for the weapon to fire with a round not fully seated, and that's what I expect happened to you. It happened to me, too. Fortunately I found all my magazine parts and was able to put it back together. My problem started when I installed the Volquartsen trigger and ended when I removed it, so don't think that installing one of them will cure your problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.