Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Thinking new riflw for my daughter

401 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Phantom_Gunner
My daughter is turning eight this year and is very interested in getting into shooting. I am going to get her shooting our pellet gun some more but saw a cricket up at Gander the other day that she would love. My question is after she out grows the cricket is there anything that can be done to help it grow with her or would I be better off getting a 10/22 and making it kid size for her? That way it can grow with her and not just get left unused in the safe. I want her to enjoy her self with a rifle that fits her but I don't wanna have to buy a new rifle in a year because she is too big for it either.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
20,844 Posts
My daughter is turning eight this year and is very interested in getting into shooting. I am going to get her shooting our pellet gun some more but saw a cricket up at Gander the other day that she would love. My question is after she out grows the cricket is there anything that can be done to help it grow with her or would I be better off getting a 10/22 and making it kid size for her? That way it can grow with her and not just get left unused in the safe. I want her to enjoy her self with a rifle that fits her but I don't wanna have to buy a new rifle in a year because she is too big for it either.
I feel the 10/22 CRR would be your best bet if ya can find one...then go to a diff. stock later..about 14-15 yrs. old IF she gets over 5'8"ish..if not the CRR will work forever...if the CRR seems too long right now you could find and shorten a carbine stock on the cheep.
My Buddy had a Crickett for his kids and it scared the bajeebers outta me every time they cocked it...personal pref. I guess...I trained my lil' peeps on a 10/22 and I feel it's just as safe and much more gun. :bthumb:

· Registered
817 Posts
I'm an Appleseed instructor and we see a lot of kids on the line.

I would recomend going with the 10/22 to start. You can have her single load first couple times out.

You can find takeoff stocks on ebay for $20. Buy one and cut it down to her size. Or you can buy Tapco adjustable stock and be done with it.

Buy tech sight or other good iron sights (save glass for later). I would be warry of doing a trigger job at first. Let her use the stock trigger until she is very fammiler with the rules of safe handeling.

Rember, kids shoot free at an Appleseed.

2cl

· Registered
2,357 Posts
I'm an Appleseed instructor and we see a lot of kids on the line.

I would recomend going with the 10/22 to start. You can have her single load first couple times out.

You can find takeoff stocks on ebay for $20. Buy one and cut it down to her size. Or you can buy Tapco adjustable stock and be done with it.

Buy tech sight or other good iron sights (save glass for later). I would be warry of doing a trigger job at first. Let her use the stock trigger until she is very fammiler with the rules of safe handeling.

Rember, kids shoot free at an Appleseed.

2cl
DITTO this.

This was my daughters 10/22. Started out life as a regular carbine. Bought a used stock and cut it down and bought a youth barrel for it. She is now grown up and we have returned the rifle to it's original stock and barrel which she uses at Appleseed.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will probably go the 10/22 route. just for the fact she will be able to keep and use it forever. I will look for a good used or a good deal on a new one then look into youth stocks of modifying a stock. I did find that Hogue makes a pink youth stock that looks to be about the same size as the crickett so I know that would fit her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.