Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sent Claude Gatewood an e-mail inquiring about a purchase. Anyone else have one that can relay any experiences(good and bad) with his work?

I love the way the Offhands look and I have a thing about supporting sponsors. I'm also thinking about adding the skeletonized option as well as the beavertail forend option.

I didn't see any finish options or color choices on his "work-in-progress" website though :( . I'm looking for something that will compliment mostly matte black components as well as a Volquartsen THM Carbon Fiber Barrel. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Waverunner,

I have a Gatewood Offhand in Green Camo, bought it a couple of months ago, unfinished.

My receiver is bare alum. and barrel is stainless, but I think this "color" stock would look really good on a black/blue gun as well.

I've gotten most of the "rough sanding" done, and put on two (or is it three?) coats of Tung Oil. Still more finish sanding and Tung to go.

It's the heaviest 10/22 stock I have, with a 20" fluted barrel and 6-24 scope, the whole package weighs in at around 9.5 lbs...... but I really like the feel of it shooting offhand. Great "ergonomics".

I think a skeletonized version would match/balance well with a VQ CF barrel...... Go For It!!

Offhand Closeup

Offhand outside

·
Registered
618 Posts
Georgiaboy, let's see...

P.C. 6-screw action base, Millett high Angle-Loc rings, what's the scope and barrel?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
OCJ, the barrel I'm proud of..... it's a 20" SS fluted Green Mountain from WFMBS that was lapped and MolyFusion'd by Ken himself. Shoots GREAT!

The scope in those pix, not exactly so proud of, but it's OK, I guess..... it's a (Taiwan) Tasco 6-24x40 AO. Has since been replaced with this one:

My New Scope thread

BTW, I've since took the sunshade off the new Simmons, looks just a little too gaudy with it on all the time, but I guess it would come in handy if I ever needed it in a Sil. match, shooting eastward, in the morning. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.