Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Starting to get back into rimfire shooting and i'm looking for a nice bolt gun. I found one of these used, but have been unable to find much information on them. Are they a good gun for the money? should I look for something else? I'm also looking into winchester 52's, sako finnfire, the h&r target .22 and even the cz 452- any opinions? Can anyone tell me about the 36 BR? What would be a good price to pay for one?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If your talking about the Model 36 BR-50 or IR-50/50 [5 shot] repeaters, I would think they would sell around $1000 (IR maybe a little higher) in good shape. The older single shot Model 36 TRP-1 & TRP-1S (MS-36) would maybe go $600 or so for a good one.

I am no expert on the 36 but if I remember right the repeaters had some feed/extract issues on occasion. The Model 57 was designed to remedy this and possibly other shortcomings.

Like I said, I'm no expert and hopefully others will chime in as well. You can check the Cooper site for a brief history on the 36 as well as searching this forum. If it were me, I would opt for the newer 57-M action and look for a used one of those. If the price was right on the 36 though, I'm sure they were/are very nice rifles.

Of the others you mentioned, the 52 is a classic (wish I had a 52B), both the finnfire and 452 are very nice rifles with the 452 being a better bang for the buck I think. Do some searches on this site in each of the respective forums and you will get a better feel for each.

Hope this helps,
RG

·
Banned
890 Posts
The IR50 model 36's were great guns.Mine never failed to feed, had to use the clip because of the small port. Used Lilja tight bore bbl and Jewell triggers. I won 3 state champs with it, it should bring considerably more than $1000. $1500-$1600 if it is pristine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.