Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Thinkin about a cz. Need advice

886 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Markbo
I don't have a single CZ... I know, I know... been missing out on a good deal! But I am thinking of getting one now in either .22wmr or 17HMR. Now presuming - and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong - that I can get better accuracy out of one of their bolt guns, what are the benefits of the 513 or 452? If I understand correctly, the 513 is just a 'base' 452... but can I expect the same accuracy out a 513 that I can get out of a 452?

And if not, could I reasonably expect better accuracy out of a varmint model over an american or lux over anything or whatever? Are the barrels, thus calibers interchangable (to swap back and forth from 22WMR & 17HMR)
or is that a gunsmithing only proposition?

I don't want anything fancy... just a very plain shooter. But I do require really, really good accuracy. Who has the best prices on the more basic models and what kind of price can I expect to pay?

Thanks
Mark
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
452 "Trainer". Get it from Whittaker Guns. About $210.00 USD. It's a real rifle, with the 452 action and trigger. Spend an extra $10.00 USD and get the Brookie trigger kit. Spend another $100.00 and get real walnut in the "Lux" model.

· Registered
13,240 Posts
OldSwede pretty much said it for me as well. I'd just add if its iron sight shooting is your game - the Trainer is a heck of deal, shooting as well as more expensive LUX. See ghost ring sight by Eric Brooks - very effective, especially for us with 'older eyes'.

If it will be used with a scope, then American, Style or Silhouette would be better choices - straight stock comb. European 'hogs back' fits irons to a tee, but your cheek weld will not be as good with it when shooting with scope.

Welcome to the CZ clan - this will be your 'first' but very unlikely it will be your 'last'. :) Good shooting.

· Registered
10,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah... well definitely looking for the mag version. So the Lux or American would be the best choice? I'll check Whitaker out for them as well.

· Registered
556 Posts
Markbo said:
Ah... well definitely looking for the mag version. So the Lux or American would be the best choice? I'll check Whitaker out for them as well.
why constrain yourself?. Get a 22LR and then later get a Mag............ These are addictive - and lifes too short............ you will never regret getting a CZ....

regards
Mark

· Registered
10,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly? Patience... or lack thereof. I have built 4 or 5 10/22's that are all very very accurate and I simply don't want to mess with a bolt action .22 in the field. I might for a bench gun, but not to hunt with.

Heck I hardly carry my T/C auto .22 just because it only has a 5 round magazine!

· Registered
556 Posts
Markbo said:
Honestly? Patience... or lack thereof. I have built 4 or 5 10/22's that are all very very accurate and I simply don't want to mess with a bolt action .22 in the field. I might for a bench gun, but not to hunt with.

Heck I hardly carry my T/C auto .22 just because it only has a 5 round magazine!
These are really nice rifles. If you prefer the accurized 10/22s, then maybe you would not like a CZ 22LR. I have more than one -- I really like them. without a doubt, I prefer them over the over more expensive rifles I have....

regards
Mark

· Registered
10,461 Posts
After I bought my first CZ, a trainer I quit messing with 10/22s. That $200 trainer shoots more accurately than my tricked out 10/22. I still like to plink with the 10/22 but when I want to get serious I grab a CZ.

· Registered
10,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well that's just great....
10/22's, Thompson Centers, Single action big bores, ARs... where will it all end??!?!?!

Mark... and you may be right... maybe I wouldn't like one. Then maybe I will see what sweet little guns they are in .22WMR and won't be able to live without a LR version.

What do ya'll think about the Euro style stock??? How does it fit using a scope? It looks kind of odd, but recoil isn't an issue with there rimfires so I am not worried about that... but cheek weld and scope sighting I am.

· Registered
10,461 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
I have the Lux, American and Scout. The Lux is my favorite because shooting with the iron sights (w/Brookies ghost rings) is such a hoot. I also have a 6-24 scope mounted on quick detach rings that I can put on it whenever the need for a scope arises. I've never felt uncomfortable using a scope on that hogback stock but that's just me. Others find the stock a major handicap for scope shooting. I recommend that anybody looking for their first CZ 452 to seriously consider the Trainer/Special. The wood is supposed to be inferior to the Lux but the barrel and action are the same. When placed side by side it's difficult to tell them apart - and the Trainer is about a hundred bucks cheaper. And, as nearly everybody on this forum says, you won't be happy with just one CZ 452 so why not start out with the versatile and inexpensive Trainer then build from that?

· Registered
13,240 Posts
recumbent said:
I have a scope on my ultra lux right now for load testing it works for me but I may have a longer neck than some.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v249/...ion=view&current=CZultraluxwebUltraLux005.jpg

I had a scope on my trainer then went to the brooks ghost ring rear sight blade. but here is a photo of the trainer with a scope.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v249/recumbent/?action=view&current=cz001a.jpg
:D

No offense meant. I resemble that 'giraffe necked' person mentioned above. :p

My Special is scoped also, even has the 'see-thru' mount allowing iron sight use. I just wanted to stress that for some, scope on a 'hogs back' stock might be difficult to manage. Nice pics, btw.

· Registered
10,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jart said:
... so why not start out with the versatile and inexpensive Trainer then build from that?
Because I want it in .22WMR. I am one of those long armed, long necked guys too, so I don't see that humpback being an issue. I'll just shop for the best price I can find.

· Registered
13,240 Posts
Markbo said:
Because I want it in .22WMR. I am one of those long armed, long necked guys too, so I don't see that humpback being an issue. I'll just shop for the best price I can find.
If you can't wait for Trainer / Special .22 Magnum, then your .22 Magnum / hogs back option is set - the FS or the LUX. Both are really nice too.

The LUX:

http://cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=3

and the FS:

http://cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=45

I chose the FS - but only because I already had a Trainer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.