Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it seems that Ruger has stooped to a new low. Our beloved Wally World Special, with its nice 22 inch stainless steel barrel is the latest rifle to be downgraded by Ruger.

I looked at one today, and the beautiful stainless barrel has been replaced with a painted version. :mad: The barrel has the same crappy silver finish as the receiver and the trigger guard.

The new ones also feature the same extended mag release as the Charger pistols, and the new plastic trigger guards.

What a bummer for this to happen to what was probably the nicest version of the 10/22 that you could buy.

Wake up Ruger!! :(

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thats ok, at least it's all silver,... I saw one couple of weeks ago that had the clear coated receiver, stainless barrel and black plastic trigger guard.

Talk about a mutt.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah ... but you'd think that for $238 they would have left the barrel stainless, and not painted it. It really looks cheap now.

All you who have the 22 inch stainless barrels, they just got turned into a collectors item. Hang onto them, or get top dollar.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Are you sure the barrel is still stainless under the paint? Maybe they went with a less expensive carbon barrel and just painted it to match the receiver. (Don't see the point in painting a stainless barrel.)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, it seems that Ruger has stooped to a new low. Our beloved Wally World Special, with its nice 22 inch stainless steel barrel is the latest rifle to be downgraded by Ruger.

I looked at one today, and the beautiful stainless barrel has been replaced with a painted version. :mad: The barrel has the same crappy silver finish as the receiver and the trigger guard.

The new ones also feature the same extended mag release as the Charger pistols, and the new plastic trigger guards.

What a bummer for this to happen to what was probably the nicest version of the 10/22 that you could buy.

The horrible paint job isn't just with the Wally World Special. :(

Go Chargers!! :bthumb:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

This is not original with me, I've seen it on here before:
VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET!!!
If you don't like the "new" 10/22, then don't buy one. That, more than anything else, will tell Ruger (or any other manufacturer) how you feel. If a product doesn't sell, then it will be changed or taken off the shelf. After 6 million 10/22's, I don't think Ruger will discontinue production. But they might change the product if they can't sell any.
Personally, I will not buy a "plastic" 10/22. I'll continue to look for used ones, or "old stock" rifles that were produced before the stupid "updates" were started.
BTW, I bought my Charger from a local gun shop. I was able to look at it and make sure that it had an aluminum trigger group before purchase.
JMHO

OK, rant over.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm with you Bigfoot. On my last 10-22 purchase I saws that the one they wanted to give me that was in the box had the plastic trigger group and requested the display model that I looked at. The guy at the counter said no problem and swapped them out for me. I showed him how to tell the plastic TG from the alum. ones and he said he had no idea that anything was different (this was at a big box sporting goods store). On the Charger I bought however I had to special order it and it did come with the plastic TG. I have already bought an alumunum trigger guard to replace the plastic one with. IMO hitting the old pawn shop is the way to get a decent 10-22 these days.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
The one I saw...

when I was at the "Wally World" earlier this week looked "satin" - the receiver, trigger group and barrel were all of a "matte satin" appearance. After seeing the usual "WWS" it was a bit of a surprise, but not that bad looking either. Still like the great work many of you do in "re-working" your own reciever and barrels, though.

·
X-Mod
19,394 Posts
I hear that bigfoot...

I'm done with them... :(

I'm still a fan of Rugers... old ones. :)

They are doing what they have to do in order to keep the price close to what it's been due to our failing dollar. I'd rather one cost $300 and at least have the quality that we've been used to. It's really said that it has come to this. They'll be painting MKIII pistols before it's over with, but that's okay... they can keep those too. :p

·
Premium Member
30,687 Posts
Voting with your wallet works for the people who are informed, but the uneducated folks won't know the difference. Unfortunately, they make up the majority of the people who will buy these guns, so Ruger and Wally World probably don't care.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Given that the receivers are now metal injected molding with a really poor finish, there's really no need to buy a 10/22. They no longer have any desirable parts, other than the bolt.

There are now several third party receivers to use.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Voting with your wallet works for the people who are informed, but the uneducated folks won't know the difference. Unfortunately, they make up the majority of the people who will buy these guns, so Ruger and Wally World probably don't care.
I saw one the other day. It doesn't look BAD, it just doesn't look as good. Now, I consider myself educated, but the fact that the barrel is painted or whatever now, wouldn't stop me from buying one if I wanted it. I won't, but that's because I've got one, and don't need another. I've seen matte finished DSP's too. I don't care for them either, but then I've got two old ones. If I didn't and couldn't find a good used one, I'd probably buy one.

Shoot, I've got an Old Mossberg pump gun I painted myself about 20 years ago, and it's worked just fine and no worry about rust. My Colt Commander has a matte finish and I can say the same about it. It's not as pretty as the old Colt blue, but it works.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.