Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a thread over on the "Ultimate 10/22" forum Larry Dukeman (sawdust) stirred up some interest for our E-Mail Matches. Several new shooters are joining us, thanks to Larry and some of our other "regulars".

If you haven't seen the thread yet: Take a look . . .
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100871
A lot of questions and answers there: FIVE pages.

A question was asked about the meaning of the x count. and I tried to give a meaningful answer. Seems there could be a bunch of shooters out there, who do not understand our scoring system. A couple of the shooters thought my answer cleared up the mystery. One of them suggested that I include the explanation along with the two scoring graphics in our rules section. I will do that.

Here is the answer I gave on the Ultimate 10.22 forum. If any of you would like to add something to it before I put it in the scoring section of the rules, I would like to hear from you.

Joe
------------------------
The X Count Mystery
------------------------
Along about 1930 at the Camp Perry National Matches, the smallbore shooters were making too many perfect scores. They had to come up with a way to break the ties. So they added a ring inside the 10 ring and called it the X ring: Roman numeral 10.

When two shooters have the same total score, the tie was (is) broken by the total number of x's. (or center 10s)

But: The 10 ring on most rimfire benchrest targets is too small to put an X ring inside the 10 ring. So on most Rimfire Benchrest targets they use an X dot.

BUT: The 10 ring on the USBR target too (damm) small for a dot. So, to get an X out of that little .10" ten ring ya got'a shoot the whole 10 ring way.

If ANY of the green ten ring is peeping out from under the flange of the scoring gauge is is NOT an 10X.

So, how to you add up the score? You first add up the total points without counting the x's. Then you add up the total number of x's. Put a "-" behind the score and enter the x count.
250-9x
250-7x
248-3x
248-0x

When there is a tie on total x count, USBR rules allow the match sponsors to have a shoot off to break the tie, or to just consider the scores tied.

1st 250-15x
2nd 250-14x
3rd 249-9x
tie 249-9x
5th 249-8x
tie 249-8x
7th 249-7x
-----------------

·
Registered
936 Posts
Joe, if the shot is slightly off center in the X ring but the X is covered by the "smudge" does it score an "X"? I've counted shots as "10s" that may have scored an "X" as well....(I have only been counting an "X" if all the X ring is completely blown out, absolutely no visible X ring at all)

Dennis

PS Do you have any of those scoring plugs left that you would sell me?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Bucks Owin

About the only way to accurately score your target is with a scoring gauge, they really do work in your favor. The shank on the scoring gauge, thats the part that goes in the bullet hole, is .190" and the flange, where you score the shot is .224". Typically the bullet smudge on the target is around .190" to .210", thats with the USBR target and Wolf MT, so the larger flange that is the actual diameter of the bullet will give you an accurate score. Also, the smudges, besides being less than the diameter of the bullet, are not uniform. The scoring gauge evens all of this out and is easy to read and is the standard.

As for scoring an "x" that is not perfectly centered, again the .224" scoring flange on the gauge is what is used to determine if all of the 10 ring is covered. So yes you can be off dead center and score a 10x, but not by much.

If Joe is out of gauges then you can order them directly from the NRA, Brownells or MidwayUSA, amoung others. Here is the link to MidwayUSA.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=924162

Edit: The above applies to the 22 caliber scoring gauge. The 17 caliber gauge is .177", the diameter of the bullet, and does not have a flange. MidwayUSA has this gauge also.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=930466

Good luck

sawdust

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Bucks Owin said:
Joe, if the shot is slightly off center in the X ring but the X is covered by the "smudge" does it score an "X"? I've counted shots as "10s" that may have scored an "X" as well....(I have only been counting an "X" if all the X ring is completely blown out, absolutely no visible X ring at all)

Dennis

PS Do you have any of those scoring plugs left that you would sell me?
the hole extends past where the smudge of lead shows. the gauge really helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.