Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
14161 - 14180 of 17949 Posts

· Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Ingenious design the Remington 514 extractor. Took some head scratching to figure out how to get the lil bugger out and a dental pick, but I got it without having tiny parts flying. That little tiny extractor costs $40 as a repop through gunparts. I’d sooner carve my own from a 2” sq block of steel as to pay the man.
Found burrs to remove and a prior owner had fiddled with the hook so fine tuned the angles with a set of machinist green stones. All back together and appears to hook a spent case well now. Too rainy for testing.

· Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Very quick range trip today - mostly to put a couple of wittwe tiny guns on consignment, but also to finish off a box of 32 wadcutters that were taking up too much space. :)

GP100 was taken to dispose of wadcutters, which it did admirably The NAA 22 short revolver and a Sterling Model 300 in 25ACP were consigned at buy-me-now prices. Hopefully someone does.

· Premium Member
37,658 Posts
Ingenious design the Remington 514 extractor. Took some head scratching to figure out how to get the lil bugger out and a dental pick, but I got it without having tiny parts flying. That little tiny extractor costs $40 as a repop through gunparts. I’d sooner carve my own from a 2” sq block of steel as to pay the man.
Found burrs to remove and a prior owner had fiddled with the hook so fine tuned the angles with a set of machinist green stones. All back together and appears to hook a spent case well now. Too rainy for testing.
Rem 597-22 extractor is an odd setup also and amazes me how well it actually works. Tis a strong teeny spring that will send the plunger, extractor and itself into your room's furthest nook or cranny as many discovered on disassembly vs just cleaning it out correctly.

· Premium Member
6,530 Posts
Wassamattayou? Its raininen here.

Naw, I never had a dull moment here where I could rummage thru her joolery like a thief looking for a necklace to hang it on. Being too cheap, err, thrifty, to buy another proved to be a wise thing. She said she's got it covered.

RIP Tubbys XIX & XX, ya filthy animals. Wasted one round on a queek red headed one whereas it it turned and climbed 3" from POI during the time it took for the boogerhook to receive the signal and pull the trigger and yet I was well aware of it, beat me to the draw if you will. The reds are very good @ it and are more high strung and nimble than the grays IMO. Dunno which is faster in the 50' dash though.
Chains prices are out of control. My son was looking for a 26" small diameter box chain for his neck. Not really much weight to it. Local jewelry Exchange where there are at least 50 booths of jewelers for various jewelry needs. $1200.00!!!! He decided to keep his 22" chain. I weighed his current chain with my powder scale and converted grains to ounces and went online to determine fair value so I had an idea of what a chain would cost. Lots of profit in the jewelry business. 4 to 6 time multiplier. Everyone has to eat.

· Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Rem 597-22 extractor is an odd setup also and amazes me how well it actually works. Tis a strong teeny spring that will send the plunger, extractor and itself into your room's furthest nook or cranny as many discovered on disassembly vs just cleaning it out correctly.
Oddly the 597 and 514 extractors appear identical. Ima like what holds this thing in there? I refused to fall into the YouTube rabbit hole.

· Registered
213 Posts
I start my plumbing misadventures early in the day so I can make multiple trips to the hardware and plumbing supply stores before they close for the night.

This tool, or one similar would have saved me a lot of grief, but didn't have one at the time.

I have Tons of tools for just about everything I can think of or use. I have similar tools like that one, but in more than one tool. I'm a tool horse so I'll be picking that up. Just as a side note though. That's great for removing the compression ring but depending on how old the copper pipe is the 'compressed' area of the pipe could be a 'leak' issue when replacing with new parts.

Sory for the drift!!!

· Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Drift is what we do here Robert!

Tossed the 514 in a case and headed out to the big woods for a couple of function test shots. Flawless function with a good flick of spent cases now. It only took 54 years to make a flawed rifle from final assembly to a proper functioning shooter.
I made an offer at a shop that had it and an SP 870 in 20ga when the kids were little. I needed a yute rifle and offer was accepted at $40 due to someone screwing a block of 2x6 on for additional butt length. They were not talented by any means in their stock fixing but at least kept the original buttplate and used tbd same holes with 4” drywall screws. Saved the original yute stock and found the adult stock with nice figure. I doubt it had a brick of shells through it as bluing is 100% as is bore.
Simple design but what a great little carry rifle with great accuracy.

· Premium Member
4,491 Posts
What are you heating with your little heater?

It’s raining everywhere! 37°
The back of my truck is outfitted as a camper. Bed, stove, lights, tv, refrigerator, etc.
I most of my traveling in spring, before hurricane season.
Having heat in the back will allow me to upgrade to Lithium batteries when my AGMs finally die.

· Premium Member
3,854 Posts
The back of my truck is outfitted as a camper. Bed, stove, lights, tv, refrigerator, etc.
I most of my traveling in spring, before hurricane season.
Having heat in the back will allow me to upgrade to Lithium batteries when my AGMs finally die.
Where and how are you mounting the heater box? Have a link to the little fuel oil heater?

· Premium Member
37,658 Posts
I'd hafta spin on Dlong's bike till tomorrow nite to spin off the dinner's caloric intake tonite. Hope the 1/2 cup of a he man's coffee plus dark chocolate cake with dark frosting and hershey's dark chocolate syrup drooled upon it doesn't keep me up half the nite. At our other fave joint its called death by chocolate. :)
Looks like we're dodging the snow and getting rain instead. I can do that!...... 40º on the button.

Oh, not a soccer fan but really, I mean really, glad we won today against *them.

· Premium Member
6,530 Posts
I'd hafta spin on Dlong's bike till tomorrow nite to spin off the dinner's caloric intake tonite. Hope the 1/2 cup of a he man's coffee plus dark chocolate cake with dark frosting and hershey's dark chocolate syrup drooled upon it doesn't keep me up half the nite. At our other fave joint its called death by chocolate. :)
Looks like we're dodging the snow and getting rain instead. I can do that!...... 40º on the button.

Oh, not a soccer fan but really, I mean really, glad we won today against *them.
You’re one of those people that everyone hates because your metabolism burns it off. Just like my wife. The double espresso may keep you up though.

· Premium Member
3,387 Posts
RIP Tubbys XIX & XX, ya filthy animals. Wasted one round on a queek red headed one whereas it it turned and climbed 3" from POI during the time it took for the boogerhook to receive the signal and pull the trigger and yet I was well aware of it, beat me to the draw if you will. The reds are very good @ it and are more high strung and nimble than the grays IMO. Dunno which is faster in the 50' dash though.
Those red devils are truly evil. Don't know if they are faster than gray squirrels, but they sure win in the diabolical catagory. Grays generally get a pass around here, but red devils are handled with extreme prejudice. The reds usually are removed pemanantely, as the get in the garage and cause damage. They love chewing on vehicle wires. Had a friend get some in her attic and caused big problems. Unfortunately she hired a squirrel exterminator for $2K before she spoke to me. At that rate, Al could make a road trip.

· Premium Member
3,079 Posts
It looks like I'll have to shoot the kitchen faucet and put it down. :horse:

Went to the local Kohler supply that all the fixtures came from when we built in 2007. It seems they no longer make the cartridge valve replacement for our unit. The young fellow did a print out on his puter of a part that you can tell isn't the same. Said it may fit, and he can get it from their State Colledge shack 30 miles away. To get here in three days. We parted ways, and I forgot to say thankyou when I exited. Called all other suspects, and non to be found. I got the parts cleaned up and back together, still leaking when turned on, but most of the water comes out where it should.
After attempting a look under the deep double sink, with disposal under one side, I called the plumber.
Went and bought a set of Moen faucets, and plumber will be here in two days for me to drink coffee while he moans and groans under my sink.

Gotta know when to hold em, and know when to fold em. :whistle:

· Registered
8,259 Posts
I'm getting a very vivid lightning show. Weather radar is showing some large areas of yellow about to pass over here. Up to a couple of inches of rain possible and a flash flood watch. I hope that the power doesn't go off.

I am very stove up after yesterday's barn roof working. Everything hurts! I had planned on going up to the hospital in Decatur but did not make it. Tomorrow is another day and I'll go then. It's supposed to be a lot colder and 10-20 mph wind all day long again so I couldn't work any more even if I was able to.

· Premium Member
6,530 Posts
Al’s anniversary got me thinking of mine coming up February first, 37 years if memory serves. Haven’t been to a Broadway show in a while so I checked out tickets for MJ. Everyone I know who saw it loved it. Tickets a bit steep. I’ll have to think about this one.

· Premium Member
6,530 Posts
It looks like I'll have to shoot the kitchen faucet and put it down. :horse:

Went to the local Kohler supply that all the fixtures came from when we built in 2007. It seems they no longer make the cartridge valve replacement for our unit. The young fellow did a print out on his puter of a part that you can tell isn't the same. Said it may fit, and he can get it from their State Colledge shack 30 miles away. To get here in three days. We parted ways, and I forgot to say thankyou when I exited. Called all other suspects, and non to be found. I got the parts cleaned up and back together, still leaking when turned on, but most of the water comes out where it should.
After attempting a look under the deep double sink, with disposal under one side, I called the plumber.
Went and bought a set of Moen faucets, and plumber will be here in two days for me to drink coffee while he moans and groans under my sink.

Gotta know when to hold em, and know when to fold em. :whistle:
Sometimes it’s best to just buy new. 15 years for a faucet is good. Grohe replaced mine for free since they “had” a lifetime warranty. Not anymore. Nothing sucks worse than climbing under a kitchen sink on your back changing a faucet. The wax cartridge in the shower temperature regulator is a bear to replace. Got that myself, luckily the lady for Grohe customer service knew her stuff and sold me the correct cartridge. Paid a plumber to change it, I hate plumbing.

14161 - 14180 of 17949 Posts