Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
14121 - 14140 of 17941 Posts

· Premium Member
3,853 Posts
I snapped my bolt handle off on the Remington 514 today. Looks like a porous casting on the threaded in portion to bolt body. Center drilled and drilled both handle and body with a #29 drill and tapped them out for 8-32. A nicely hardened 8-32 allen head screw loctited together should be stronger than new. Guess I just got carried away in rabid fire single shot mode.
Wood Gas Metal Auto part Household hardware
Hand tool Wood Household hardware Gas Nickel

· Premium Member
10,641 Posts
Goodnight Gigi, Sophia, Jetgirl, Al, Rhody, Don, mdew, wook, blackwolfe, Alum, GF, Sail, TD, Szumi, COW, Wayne, Gobb, Ranger, Hawkeye, Atonic, W8LON, Darkest, pans, efly, Phil, TinCan, Greggie, Mike, Rock, dlong, Gerald, M92, AZ, Tricks, Brent, jnyork, OldDave, nfcracin, GP, JDWin, Whip, RichJ, squirrel, syfr, JVStalin, zenaca, 404, Wade, koonta, acheyj, vlnbyr, rosscoe, arjay, Flys, wr, labratt, RonL, 1917, Carrij, Mikey, JimWY, Johnny, rj, Rick, calibrian, Lt Crunch, Bugeye,Gobbler, DrGunner, Tiger-ock, LASTSHOT and all the rest.

Sleep tight :sleeping

Those no longer with us. Mayor, Ron, Dean, Marilyn, Noremf, flynmoose and David. We will meet again.

· Registered
2,836 Posts
No, it is range within the city limits. They shut it down for a year do to the yahoos shooting over the berms and shooting a parked car a half mile away. They reopened after making it so I rifle couldn’t be aimed at the sky and put up a gate that remains unlocked. Police are supposed to patrol it as they use the range as well but have only seen them once. We paid membership when reopened this year but with the current situation returning I’ll go elsewhere.
Suggest that you call both the popo and your city council member as well as the head of the Dept. responsible for the range and report your disgust w/the behavior of certain others and suggest they at least install a camara, if they are not going to monitor its use. The kind of abuse you showed in that pic is inexcusable and honestly should result in a criminal charge of some sort w/a demand for restitution to repair the damage they did at a minimum! That kind of thing is purely malicious and should be addressed accordingly, IMHO. There is no justifiable excuse for being unsafe, and while you can't fix stupid, there are remedies that will keep them from doing more ofvit there.
--

Got a fair amount of yard werk done yesterday. Had some joints balking and just toughed it out. Hey, it just goes w/the territory, given my age and a yute that should have/could have been life ending... on numerous occasions. Some of those misadventures have been floating to the surface again, recently. Thot I had them thoroughly buried and forgotten. Nope, ain't that lucky, some have went and dusted themselves off and stared me down to recall just how close it was. It's only by the Grace of God, that I am still here.

Took advantage of some Black Friday cyber deals gifting myself some new shooting attire and scored some righteous shooting gloves; I'm hard on them and go thru them in hot and cold weather, both. One pair ordered was originally designed for the sport that TD1 used to play, paintball. Curious how they will do in the summer heat, and they may do well enough in moderate winter temps. I've been using goatskin golf gloves in recent years bought at Academy but wear them out at the rate of about two pair per annum but have become miffed at the poor register help at two dif. locations in the past six months, so not as inclined to shop there physically of late. It's a shame, really, as I've frequented them since they opened their first Texas store in Austin when I was in college in the 60's. I'll still buy from them on-line and experience zero problems doing that. Noticed this time that some retailers' systems were having issues w/their on-line systems and had to get assistance from two to get the orders completed. Neither was Academy.

Also, ordered more #8.5 magnum shot [ouch(!), my cost is now $57.50/25#'s] for use in both .410 & 28 ga. target rounds and some 12 ga wads that I was getting low on that have gone from the $18/K to $24/K range, reflecting the increased resin costs. Seems that nothing is inexpensive any longer. Tempted to say that even 'nothing' is expensive, these days. In any case, I'm resolved to keep a positive Christmas spirit and not lose sight of what it is that we are actually celebrating.

I'd also like to say that I have sure fire way to lose 20 pounds eating as I please and partaking of restoratives as I do... but I don't. And remember that snake oil by any other name still slithers.

· Premium Member
58,280 Posts
All Hail Saint Connie...Happy Anniversary you two.

View attachment 345963 Must be fun to take your Tacticool slug shootin 12ga to the range and blastinate everything! Must be tough shooting up property from the five yard line.

Nice having a range just six miles away but I will not be a paying member again. Just can’t have nice stuff with the current shooting population.
What was it Pogo said? "we have met the enemy and he is us" probably got that wrong but you get the idea.

Spent much of yesterday setting up the new refrigerator for Manna Market, dangest shelve system I've seen but a former restaurant owner friend came by and bailed me out, helped set up the thermostat as well. Thank God for good friends and wonderful Donors, our most faithful Donor has purchased enough Mrs. Smith Apple and Cherry Pies for each Client to receive one. I gave 25 surplus frozen whole chickens to my friend Rev. Browning plus a a very large spiral cut ham that had been given to us, so a homeless shelter somewhere is going to benefit. Wore plumb out is this old man.

· Premium Member
6,530 Posts
Happy anniversary to Al and the “Finn”.
Al is going to have to give me some pointers on how to get away with a ham for a 40th anniversary present as I have one coming up in a couple years. I’m afraid with a ham I wouldn’t make it to 41. My wife knows I don’t do cards or flowers.

· Premium Member
4,491 Posts
Good Morning RFC'rs, et al:

These sure are interesting times we live in. The people occupying this orb make it so much more interesting.

Looks like they are sending him to a hospital 2.5 hours north for the surgeries. I’m about an hour south of TD1 and SIL is going to Modesto. I’m going to have the daughter get a hotel up there and we will take care of the kids.

BTW, I’m a long time lurker in off topic. I remember the mayor getting his hot dog related gifts and Marilyn fixing Dean’s picture posts after he passed away. I just haven’t posted much but now that I’m retired I have a bit more time.
I was a Navy Corpsman for ten years, got out after Desert Storm. Worked in the state prisons and now doing well on that pension.
Randy
I used to make my living on ladders and walkboards. I was known as the guy who would go higher than anyone else. Used to send my wife pictures of the city from vantages few have seen.
A 7'8" fall off of a roof with loose granules did me in, proving, it ain't the fall it's the sudden stop.
Hope your SIL recovers quickly.
Hard to believe entire careers have come and gone since The Gulf War.

Happy Anniversary To The Yooper Couple.

I walked the park yesterday. First time in a long while. 2.5 miles at a good pace left me a bit sore. I may do the same today if the weather cooperates. It's sixty-seven degrees outside. 30% chance of rain at noon.

· Premium Member
988 Posts
Happy Anniversary Al and St Connie.

The deer .here ,are too comfortable with me.one walked up the driveway yesterday evening as I was putting out the evenings bird seed and corn.It waited until I did the job and walked to the chicken house to lock them up for the night.Then stayed there when I walked by back to the house.Tame they are getting.
A temp of 40* and may hit 50 by afternoon.Rain tomorrow.

14121 - 14140 of 17941 Posts