Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Watering Hole

303337 Views 18172 Replies 115 Participants Last post by  wookness
WELCOME TO THE WATERING HOLE

A stress-free place to gather and share whatever is on your mind! A fun place of mutual respect where you can hang your hat, vent, relax and shoot the bull for a while!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate that faith.

To all others, Happy Spring!

Easter symbolizes a new beginning, so it is fitting that TWH has a new beginning as well!
Along with RFC, TWH has been remodeled!

Actually, it can be anything you imagine it to be!

I am happy to announce that due to the increased bandwidth of the new RFC, there is no longer a need for the weekly closing and re-opening of TWH!!! After 10+ years of weekly "flipping" we now get to keep the doors open continuously! My sincere thanks to our moderators, especially Sophia, for making this possible!

I would also like to thank all the members who have kept this boat afloat for so long! We have become like family here, and now have a permanent residence! (y) While we have many long-time members who have been enjoying the company found in this amazing virtual bar, we also welcome all new folks. Jump right in! The first drink is always on the house and Veterans always have an open bar!
Al The Infidel (Tubby Slayer extraordinaire) is the bar manager.

So, let's get this re-opening celebration going! Set 'em up, Al! Drinks all around!!!
10661 - 10680 of 18173 Posts

· Registered
8,282 Posts
Rhody them wimmenz always gotta be changing something!

My best studfinder was my 20 ounce Estwing and an eardrum. Always had poor luck with the electronical ones.

I had planned on hunting today but last night was rough, one of those AZ type nights, nightmares, multiple wakeups and multiple potty trips. I filled up the kitty katz with food for the day and disappeared beneath the quilt until tonight. Years ago I somehow managed to figure out how to wake myself from a nightmare or any sort of dream that gets too irritating, but when they resume right away or get replaced with the sequal it's a zero rest for the wicked type of night. 👹

· Registered
2,860 Posts
There is a pile of stuff of the trimmed sort from the back the size of a crew cab on the street awaiting the bulk pick up guys next week. We ain't done yet but it's lookin' much cleaner now. Got that flat of ¾oz 12 ga. 9's loaded in throw-away hulls to finish the skeet league with. It gives me a two box hedge now, so I'm well covered. Didn't get the 1oz throw-away loads loaded for tomorrow's fun shoot but may get them done yet before the night is over. Have plenty of stuff to shoot if I don't. Just Czech'd & there are only three persons pre-registered to shoot it. Not particularly concerned about that as not many folks use the club's online system to register, unless forced to. No penalty is incurred if you don't for that kind of event, and that's fine w/me and it should remain so, as far as I'm concerned, tho this is the 3rd re-scheduling of this event. Just show up, pay yer money and take yer chances. Werks fine, for me. Also having second thots about bothering, as it could be a no starter w/a large NSCA shoot going on nearby and dove season still open. Half thinking to blow it off, sleep in and go out a bit late, let the bride get breakfast there, do some shooting and then return... to werk in the back and try and get what's been undertaken finished up prior to the city's trucks coming by.

Bride wasn't much interested in my doing it in the heat of the summer [it requires excessive supervision, don't ya know?], so essentially two months got bypassed as the jungle back there grew and I'll not forego another. Too much stuff gets strung out and if that one is left any longer... it will become overwhelming. This yard man ain't young anymore and I'm close to burning reserve 'Yes, maims' that interfere w/my getting stuff done. Bride's planetary bent for needing an argument [anything will do] has been building and her losing another Hollywood put me in close proximity to being drawn into one, over much of nothing. I don't and won't participate. Can't say that it helps, my refraining most of the time, from suggesting that she doesn't require my participation to have one. She is perfectly capable of carrying both sides all by herself and should talk to me only after she has gotten over it. Unfortunately, she's far too old to take it out on a doll. Darned shame, that.

Jack too, knows that my number is coming up, his empathy is immediately readable. I'll live, in spite of a probable BP excursion, time it's done. I'm reminded of a friend who thot that the end of menopause would give him long longed for relief from his bride's irrational mood swings. Ha! Little did he know.

I'm glad that we only have one moon of any significance. I'm ready for it to quit hiding and come on back out.

Moon beams matter.

· Registered
2,860 Posts
College football saw some great games today along w/some interesting surprises. The economic health in that arena looks to remain sound, for the time being.

And lest ya think the last post too, or overly negative, my four books ordered yesterday on Amazon arrived today before the mail. 🙂 Not a subscriber to Amazon Prime, but they were delivered FREE because the total exceeded $US25, tho not by much. Was pleasantly surprised by the service and all arrived in perfect condition. Some things are still seemingly seamless.

Their titles are:

1. Notes From Underground and The Dream of a Ridiculous Man
  2. The Gambler
  3. The Brothers Karamazov
  4. Devils
I'm having a devil of a time feeling sleepy and it's already past the pumpkin hour! What to do! What to do!?

I may go and pour a whiskey and sleep on it for a while.

Sweet dreams, y'all.

· Premium Member
58,299 Posts
Wookness I believe we married Sisters from another Mother, I'm learning to just let her rant, I'm wrong either way.

All is well with us Brian, a few folks lost fair size trees and one major artery has a power outage, that includes Chik fila, Wally World and several other establishments, all within a mile of me but on a different power trunk line. Major highway work has several businesses closing for remodeling anyway. Its a mess I avoid most of the time any way.

We made it thru the storm...without loss of power. Yard is covered with leaves & small limbs...

My dad has Covid...got him taking a Rx that's supposed to help. He really hasn't had any issues that aren't any different than his usual...

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk
Wife had a fit with the Paxlovid, diarrhea, nausea etc....
I've got a good bit of leaf blowing to do on the deck, side way and driveway, lawn man will bag the lawn so not a big deal.

· Registered
2,860 Posts
Prayers that your dad gets past the Wuhan viral mess, Gob. Nothing whatsoever is nice about that horrible man-made junk.
--

Finally, did doze off not long after my last post and slept soundly too. Coupla fingers of good spirits proved just the ticket. Feelin' pretty good this chilly A M. 59° presently and calm. 67% RH that will burn off and high of 82 is forecast for later. It should prove another lovely day for being outside... if ya can get past the bad air quality that only took a single day off recently from its task of poisoning us w/ozone and other junk, associated w/unrestrained growth.

Time for a cup of fresh HOT coffee; whot I'd used to warsh my pills down with this morning was cold dregs from yesterday's last pot. It got the job done but that's all I can say for it.

Top of the morn'(!), to all that spend a bit of time here. Fall's a coming and I'm grateful to be here, to see its arrival.

· Premium Member
37,727 Posts
Glad it was a minor inconvenience for you Gerald.
Better late than never best wishes for your Pap Gobb.

Woke up and remembered I forgot to look for rat/mouse poison @ the grub store, interesting first thoughts. I'll go to the hardware store instead as I need a couple other things before going to the shack to polish off the boat while missing the beginning of the long Dega race. I'll pick up our Last pizza from our fave pizza and ice cream shoppe. It's our 11th of the year and shall be the freebee.

The words snow and slush have been used in the week ahead tv forecast while nuther in the paper rattling off the all time records of snow this time of year in feet instead of inches! Say what?
45º

Oh, got to see my Wings First pre-season victory Last nite, 3/0 over the Blackhawks.

· Premium Member
7,861 Posts
In...
...and up, sort of.
NEED BACON AND COFFEE !!!

Today we'll go down to the river and watch the jetskiiers (and other stuff) :)
Should be interesting.

Have a good day, y'all
(y)

Water Watercraft Sports equipment Boat Vehicle

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Woke up again for another day. No pesky sun will show itself today to warm us up too much but no rain either. Gloom is appreciated at times.
A little afternoon bird hunting with my pup and son is on the agenda today. Have found birds to chase after every spot tried but not big numbers just a covey here and there at trails end. Would be a lot more successful if we just hit trails ends but that generally requires a mile of walking to the end of trail.
No Woodcock flights have been discovered yet other than signs of whitewashing wet areas walked around. Getting the young dogs on Woodcock would be of great benefit to their training and ours. Will hit some more grassy areas this afternoon on the north end the county and see what we find.

· Premium Member
37,727 Posts
Watched chippy #30 dine from one of the traps eating from it from all directions, and nuthin happened! Pfft! 5 min later I picked up its carcass from tuther trap and laid it out for gulls or whatever.

No Li AA batts, waterproofing spray, or orbital buffer bonnets to be had @ Menards. Got the $$ mouse poison, 2 stage LED work light($10) to see what I'm doing waxing, and nuther 2" closed cell butt pad.

Beauty grey day @ 47º Murican.

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Lawn cut, edged and blown before the afternoon rain. Basement vacuumed. Now to dust and vacuum upstairs.
Guy sitting next to me at the bar last night was wearing the elusive holy grail. Rolex GMT Pepsi. Of course we started talking watches for about half an hour. He had quite a collection. Anyway one good sign was my wife loved it. She’s no fool as shetold me I’ll never get the call anyway. Thanks babe.
Brazed Hungarian short ribs with port wine reduction over pappardelle was delicious . Great fall meal.
Another raw fall day. Good for watching football.

Reactions: Blackwolfe

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Just checked the weather forecast for the next few weeks. All in the 60’s with evenings into the 40’s. The day fall turned on, the weather got cool. Usually get one Indian summer at least.

· Premium Member
4,492 Posts
What a day.

Breakfast was gud, although attendance was light. Just five of us, and most ROs declined breakfast.
Most had seconds, with leftovers.

Shotguns were fun. I shot well at first, and finished poorly. Se la vie.

I brought my Chargrer. I finally got the trigger running. Now I have to get the pistol running well enough to keep up.
I'll spend this week polishing and cutting the radius on the bolt. Polish the firing pin, the inside of the receiver, etc.

The Officials could have saved a whole bunch of global warming jet fuel, and called the Saints game from this side of the pond.
Pthuuy on 'em.

Not feeling great today. Out of rhythm of sorts. I think I'll geaux lay down, and take a nap.

Spaceballs
The Movie

• Wow
Reactions: Al the Infidel
10661 - 10680 of 18173 Posts