Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Watering Hole

303337 Views 18173 Replies 115 Participants Last post by  Al the Infidel
WELCOME TO THE WATERING HOLE

A stress-free place to gather and share whatever is on your mind! A fun place of mutual respect where you can hang your hat, vent, relax and shoot the bull for a while!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate that faith.

To all others, Happy Spring!

Easter symbolizes a new beginning, so it is fitting that TWH has a new beginning as well!
Along with RFC, TWH has been remodeled!

Actually, it can be anything you imagine it to be!

I am happy to announce that due to the increased bandwidth of the new RFC, there is no longer a need for the weekly closing and re-opening of TWH!!! After 10+ years of weekly "flipping" we now get to keep the doors open continuously! My sincere thanks to our moderators, especially Sophia, for making this possible!

I would also like to thank all the members who have kept this boat afloat for so long! We have become like family here, and now have a permanent residence! (y) While we have many long-time members who have been enjoying the company found in this amazing virtual bar, we also welcome all new folks. Jump right in! The first drink is always on the house and Veterans always have an open bar!
Al The Infidel (Tubby Slayer extraordinaire) is the bar manager.

So, let's get this re-opening celebration going! Set 'em up, Al! Drinks all around!!!
10641 - 10660 of 18174 Posts

· Registered
980 Posts
Pre registered for a PRS event on Sunday the 30th this month. It’ll be held over at the range in Avenal so eight stages of fun and a minimum one mile hike toting gun/gear over hill and dell from stage 1 to stage 8. Then there is the hike back to the staging area and you will be hiking more than two miles pending upon which stage you start at. Have sorted through my PRS gear jettisoning stuff that doesn’t get used. Latest piece of gear is a bullet soft pouch with elastic bullet straps and so will no longer use a more common plastic bullet box or bullet bag. I should be able to better organize both my unspent and spent ammo plus I can carry them minus a bunch of ammo/shells bouncing around in my backpack. Good bunch of people to shoot with no matter who you’re squading with and folks share gear such as shooting bags, tripods, etc. Wonderful way to keep the economy going when you decided after the match there is something you had the chance test drive and now decide you just need to have one of those in your kit.

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Arkansas having a tough time against the tide. What a lazy day. 30 minutes spin and watch TV. Dreary drizzly day.
Dinner reservation at 5.

· Premium Member
417 Posts
I've never had much luck with stud finders, but a couple rare earth magnets salvaged from wherever , swinging from a string about 8" long pinched between them will find a screw or nail in drywall or plaster. Then use a level to make a light mark where you want to drill, nail, or screw something down.

· Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I searched for an hour for the pex cutter and 3/4 crimp rings. How they made it from where I'm working at one end of the house and to the living room I do not know. I'll make the connections tomorrow. Not looking forward to the low crawl in the crawl space and fishing wire but that is for tomorrow after breakfast and some more shopping.

I've never had much luck with stud finders, but a couple rare earth magnets salvaged from wherever , swinging from a string about 8" long pinched between them will find a screw or nail in drywall or plaster. Then use a level to make a light mark where you want to drill, nail, or screw something down.
My brother, a master electrician, has a big one he uses to find conduit in walls. He forgot was in his pocket and picked up his laptop and as it swung by his leg he heard the windows shutdown sound. So much for that hard disk.

I am surprised I don't have any serious magnets as we use them on a product at work, I only have itty bitty ones I use for fridge magnets.

· Premium Member
4,492 Posts
A day of taking ARs apart, and putting them back together, taking care not to scratch.

A trip to the shop to replace one wayward spring that sprung the coup.

Years of installing siding, I tried a few stud finders. None worked as reliably as my knuckle.

Karens making supper. I saw a pot of green beans. Some sort of a roast. I'm staying out from under her feet.

· Premium Member
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,649 ·
If that board hit a sign post or anything else, that gal would be toast!!! :oops:

Don't think we've heard from Gerald or Rhody recently.
All good here BW, thanks for czeching! Just a rainy dreary day.

Well, I got a call from PBC. She is still PBC except that she is now prettybrunettechick instead of prettyblondechick! I haven't seen her yet, so it will be quite the surprise in a few hours. I reckon she can still be peanutbutterchick to you guys!

I got a few things done today in her absence so not a complete waste of a day. Grocery shopping done, a bit of cellar organization etc.

Chilling out and watching Impractical Jokers. These guys are freaking hilarious!

R

· Premium Member
37,728 Posts
Thanks to the Finn for helping a geezer out. Woke up from a nap to find her beating the hell out of the middle tree with a rake whose apples were reluctant to let go. Betwixt me with a longer telescopic aluminium pole for whacking and us raking and hauling we filled most of the back of the Ram with half filled paper grocery bags of mostly honey crisps and some macs. If the lawn care guy for the shack doesn't respond by tomorrow pm they'll all be tossed out @ ye olde gravel pit for the deer there to eat and get shot at. Saved enough for my get well apple betty Al when I get home Fri hopefully. Folks here who said they would take em were no shows... snoozer losers. Lots of em were well worth using for whatever and are $4# at the store this am whence I shagged grubs. I had one whilst grilling brats tonite and the exploding juices were most tasty and copious crazy dripping down and off my fingers! I wouldn't dare to eat one in a vehicle.

Cloudy @ 51º farenheight.... aw, c'mon speel check. :rolleyes:

Food Ingredient Tableware Fruit Staple food

· Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Worked drywall and plaster for years and never used a stud finder. Knuckle or a light hammer tap.

Is that new work bench stuff going to fit down the steps/entrance Wolfe ?
It'll fit Hawk. Left and right leg assemblies are welded and of a flat topped A, or H with a extra horizontal bar at the top. Front and back top rails bolt to the leg assemblies to form a frame to which the top mounts. Can get a horizontal foot rest which stretches between the bottom horizontal leg pieces which wood further stiffen the bench. Uprights attach to the back legs. All the pieces are no longer than 5 feet long and a few inches x a few inches max. Prewelded legs are about 30" x 36 inches x 2 inches. Vertical parts of the legs are 2" x 2" steel tubing. Suppose to be able to hold 5000 lbs. Laminated maple strip top is 30" x 60" and 1.75 inches thick. I have a couple of salvaged from a renovation. laminated maple locker room bench seats that are about a foot wide. One is about 9 feet long, and the other about 4 feet. Could use those for either a bottom shelf, or get brackets for an above the bench shelf attached to the uprights. Not sure exactly how the top attaches to the steel frame. If it is just screws into wood, I might go the extra step and put in some threaded inserts to secure the top.The hardest part will be convincing myself it is OK to drill the maple top to mount a vise, or a press. Will post pictures when I get the bench and assemble everything.

From the same demo/renovation job, I have a couple of under counter metal drawers and frames, and several large, commercial size solid core wood doors. The drawers and frames have at least 3 layers of paint. The doors are 7 feet x XX inches I think ranging from 30-42 inches and probably at least 2 inches thick. Would make good bench tops, or assembly table tops. Wouldn't feel bad if one of those got drilled.

Recently learned of the magnet trick for finding studs.

Years of installing siding, I tried a few stud finders. None worked as reliably as my knuckle.

I got one of the first electronic stud finders. Doesn't work very good for me in my house. Very thick plaster walls seems to throw it off. Walls are not lath and plaster, but plaster over some type of fibrous board about 1/2 inch thick, that I think I have heard called beaver board. The actual plaster seems to range from about 1/2" to far more than an inch thick at places where I have cut into it. I have had instances when I added an outlet, using an "old work" box, where the thickness of the plaster wall exceeded the grip range of the box. I think the fiber board and the thick plaster throws off that early electronic stud sensor. Stud spaces does seem regular at 16 or 24 inches, but somewhere maybe about 18-22 inches in this house built just after WWII.

· Registered
468 Posts
We just got home from the neighbors, they raised 20 chickens and smoked/BBQ 10 of them. Had about 30 people, pot luck style. I had a wing and a thigh, was better than any wing joint I’ve been to. We shot trap while the birds were cooking, it was a good afternoon and evening. I had to try the dessert the wife was raving about: Heathbar frosted angel food cake, gotta admit it was pretty good.

Watched a little college football, Wisconsin and Nebraska games. Noticed all the transfer players. Without having to set out a year it’s going to be like the NFL soon. Programs trading players! When I played in college you had to be taking 12 credit hours the semester you were playing, pass 27 credit hours a year with a C average and be progressing towards a degree.

· Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Went to where to big fish got away a couple hours drive north along the coast to watch my grandson to play soccer this morning. Saw a couple of dead yotes along the way and a dead fox. Turned out to be a very pleasant day, sunny with a high in the low 70sA. Had a nice day with D2 and her family. Burgers and dogs on the grill for lunch.

Between the soccer fields and their home, stopped at a Honda motorcycle shop looking for the Honda Trail 125 released a couple years ago. None available. They have had 1 in over a year. They did have a couple of Super Cubs which I believs shares an engine with the Trail 125, but has different gearing. The Super Cub looks something like a step through scooter frame on steroids. Tempting, but would really like the Trail 125. The also had a Metropolitan step through moped which is also tempting and looks fun.

Maroon traffic was sparse while going, but in abundance on the way home. Roads are a mix of 2 lane state highway, freeway, and 2-4 lane US highway, both limited access and through urban areas. Had an idgit make a right hand turn off the 4 lane urban stretch, then before completing the turn, swerved make onto the 4 lane. Almost caught that one on the drivers rear quarter panel when they swerved back into the lane.

Don't know if I have posted this old Chevy sign from a dealership before or not. From a dealer along the route, and is my understanding that it is 1 of 2 still in existence. It was refurbished a few years ago.

Cloud Sky Font Gas Signage

· Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Goodnight Gigi, Sophia, Jetgirl, Al, Rhody, Don, mdew, wook, blackwolfe, Alum, GF, Sail, TD, Szumi, COW, Wayne, Gobb, Ranger, Hawkeye, Atonic, W8LON, Darkest, pans, efly, Phil, TinCan, Greggie, Mike, Rock, dlong, Gerald, M92, AZ, Tricks, Brent, jnyork, OldDave, nfcracin, GP, JDWin, Whip, RichJ, squirrel, syfr, JVStalin, zenaca, 404, Wade, koonta, acheyj, vlnbyr, rosscoe, arjay, Flys, wr, labratt, RonL, 1917, Carrij, Mikey, JimWY, Johnny, rj, Rick, calibrian, Lt Crunch, Bugeye,Gobbler, DrGunner, Tiger-ock, LASTSHOT and all the rest.

Sleep tight :sleeping
Those no longer with us. Mayor, Ron, Dean, Marilyn, Noremf and David. We will meet again.

10641 - 10660 of 18174 Posts