Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Watering Hole

228674 14184
WELCOME TO THE WATERING HOLE

A stress-free place to gather and share whatever is on your mind! A fun place of mutual respect where you can hang your hat, vent, relax and shoot the bull for a while!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate that faith.

To all others, Happy Spring!

Easter symbolizes a new beginning, so it is fitting that TWH has a new beginning as well!
Along with RFC, TWH has been remodeled!

Actually, it can be anything you imagine it to be!

I am happy to announce that due to the increased bandwidth of the new RFC, there is no longer a need for the weekly closing and re-opening of TWH!!! After 10+ years of weekly "flipping" we now get to keep the doors open continuously! My sincere thanks to our moderators, especially Sophia, for making this possible!

I would also like to thank all the members who have kept this boat afloat for so long! We have become like family here, and now have a permanent residence! (y) While we have many long-time members who have been enjoying the company found in this amazing virtual bar, we also welcome all new folks. Jump right in! The first drink is always on the house and Veterans always have an open bar!
Al The Infidel (Tubby Slayer extraordinaire) is the bar manager.

So, let's get this re-opening celebration going! Set 'em up, Al! Drinks all around!!!
10621 - 10640 of 14185 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
First cuppa joe...
Overslept (thank you, kats) must have needed it.

Spencer does that to me when he wants to play.

Weather is supposed to be perfect today. Great day to do some more photography! Y’all have a great day!!!

Brent
^^Yeah, that^^

Had a good day in the park yesterday, sunny but not too sunny.
was doing f10, 1/640th sec, and things turned out great...
I hope to do it again today, but in a different park :)

Plant community Ecoregion Plant Reptile Organism

(???)

Life in the great PNW
:)

Reactions: Blackwolfe

·
Premium Member
9,092 Posts
Well my attempt to go to the park to take pictures was a bust. I forgot they drain the park this time of year. So alll the birds had. Bugged out. The other good place got hit by lightning and had a fire. So that's closed. hopefully after breakfast the third choice will be ok. All else fails there is thrift store shopping.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
A cold rainy day here in Wyoming, same thing yesterday. We had gone up to the mountains to camp for a couple of days , came home yesterday morning due to weather conditions. Aspen trees had turned color, we toured around a little in awe of the brilliant yellows, oranges and reds, most spectacular display we can remember seeing for the last 40 years.

As I was backing into my space at the campground, a big ol' tree limb jumped out and attacked me, ruined the ladder on the back of my trailer. $200.00 mistake, oh well, it's only money. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I too was up at 3 A, but it was for the usual reason, letting Jack out for a few minutes. Got a small glass of water and retired again, sleeping in until just after 9. Temp bottomed at 56° around 7 A. Great day for doin'. It's 69 now at 10 A under fair skies and calm. RH 47% that will burn off to a lot less before the day is out.

Can foresee insurance rates increasing for everything in the aftermath of Ian. Hardly a happy thot, given the already present inflation mess. Reading now that its death toll is up to 30. It could have been much worse w/o all the forewarnings' people were given by our weather folks, so have to give them a tip o' the hat, for that. Pics of the devastation experienced in some areas are similar to what tornados do here. Of course, Ian's path was much wider. Globally, extreme weather events cause a lot of damage every year and have been as long as I can remember.

Need to get a move on and do more yard werk. Tomorrow, we will take the day off. Prayers for those in need... which is all of us, if we are honest about it. And wishes for a good weekend, for those able to have one.

Might could go by the bank this morning, but if not, it can wait until Monday w/no loss.

These first of fall cold fronts bring with them fat Kansas dove at this time of year in certain parts of the state. Was out dove hunting just this side of Coleman one year late in the afternoon as part of a large group of hunters when a cold front w/rain blew in. The shooting was incredible with a minimum of hundreds of doves flying every which way jinking at seemingly supersonic speeds. Stuck pick 'em up trucks were still being removed from the field the next morning. Fortunately, I'd parked on the road's edge and walked in, so wasn't part of that stuck truck debacle. I did get thoroughly soaked but slogged out w/my limit of fat wet birds. Some of them may have come from Kansas but none in my bag were carrying papers.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Well, the box with the water heater is in the living room, a pan is in the closet waiting to receive it. Wondering where both of my stud finders are. I was sure I knew where the last one I bought when I couldn't find the first one was sitting.

As far as insurance rates, I remember that mine doubled for one year after 911, the insurance companies insure each other for when really bad stuff happens. We are all in this together.

Bummer on the ladder, JN. Could have been worse.

Sorry you are striking out on the photo opportunities Az.

Well, time to run the obstacle course and see if I can get the heater into the bed room w/o having to move too much stuff.

EDIT:

Made it to the bedroom w/o any destruction. Going to have a Rolling Rock to celebrate.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Helped neighbor lady disassemble her ornate cast iron bench as her tools were at her new place. The last bolt was rusted on and not budging so run air hose across the yards and zipped it off with the cutoff saw.
As I was putting tools away daughter pulled in and left her 08’ Prius for a transmission fluid change. Picked up her four qts of genuine Toyota type WS yesterday afternoon for her. Had to resort to a Utube video for drain and fill plug locations and lucky dog the first one that popped up was a real mechanic. Concise and to the point I only had to watch 35 seconds of video to know all that was needed. 126K miles on hers and red fluid was black as night. Lubed for life is hogwash as the fluid should have been changed at least twice before. Mines next as I don’t trust a dealership that sold the car actually doing the work.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quirks in Television
Being a fan of the old westerns on television, I have noticed a few quirks that hopefully some of you folks can enlighten me about. One of the biggest quirks I see is how a rider can shoot the gun out of someone's hand with a Colt 45 at full gallop from 300 yards away, yes is still unable to hit the rider at 20 yards with his 14-shot revolver? Although, not a western, one of the best quirks I witnessed is while watching a Civil War movie was spotting a helicopter in far distance during one of the battles. The air superiority of either the blue or the gray over the other is a seldom discussed topic yet today. 😁

What other quirks have you guys noticed watching the older TV shows?

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Trying to figure out how they dented the top of my water heater and damaged the bottom end cap w/o the box showing signs of damage. Read up on dented water heaters and am continuing with the installation. No dunnage in the box that held the water heater.

I've been looking for my stud finders, I'm coming up empty. May just sound the floor with a hammer looking for the floor joists so I don't drill holes in the wrong place. I sure don't want to buy another. Maybe I should put one in my Amazon cart to see if that will tease it out?

It has been a nice day out. It is up to 59°A with the sun out. Not sure I'm trying astronomy tonight, supposed to be poor seeing, I'll put out my all sky camera so I can czech on things from bed.

·
Premium Member
9,092 Posts
Once upon a time, a Pilot asked a beautiful Princess, "Will you marry me?"

The Princess said, "No!!!"

And the Pilot lived happily ever after and flew aircraft all over the world. He rode motorcycles, went hunting, camping, fishing, raced hot cars with fast women, went to bars and drank whiskey, beer and Captain Morgan...Kept his house, guns and all his toys. He ate spam, and potato chips and beans, blew enormous farts wearing nothing but boxer shorts, and all his friends and family thought he was frikin’ cool as hell and he had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up...

The end

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Trying to figure out how they dented the top of my water heater and damaged the bottom end cap w/o the box showing signs of damage. Read up on dented water heaters and am continuing with the installation. No dunnage in the box that held the water heater.

I've been looking for my stud finders, I'm coming up empty. May just sound the floor with a hammer looking for the floor joists so I don't drill holes in the wrong place. I sure don't want to buy another. Maybe I should put one in my Amazon cart to see if that will tease it out?

It has been a nice day out. It is up to 59°A with the sun out. Not sure I'm trying astronomy tonight, supposed to be poor seeing, I'll put out my all sky camera so I can czech on things from bed.
I use the middle finger second knuckle for stud finding. Sorta like a Woodpecker, it has never failed to find me wood.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Many of the western and other movies movies from Hollywood a while ago outdoor scenes were filmed in the Alabama Hills located in Eastern California, so there were moments captured on film of a light airplane in the background. The quasi classic movie, “Charge of the Light Brigade“ was also partially filmed over there and a classmate of mine mentioned during the “glorious charge of the light brigade on their horsies” film there was an airplane caught on film in the background/overhead. Sometimes you just never know. I wonder if they caught those moments or not and if so maybe it was just less expensive to not have to reshoot certain scenes.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,633 ·
Howdy all!

What other quirks have you guys noticed watching the older TV shows?
There are so many! One has to suspend disbelief if you want to just enjoy the movie or show. I always chuckled when The Duke would have the always present 1892 Winchester in his hands in movies set in the 1870s! :)

A lazy rainy Saturday here. I had dinner with PBC last night and we came home fairly early. she had to leave here around 11:30 am for a hair appointment. she isn't sure if she will join her friends later around 6pm for a support get together for a close friend who has a major surgery coming up. I think she should go. I will meet up with her later. kind of a weird weekend for us because I have to leave her in the morning to play in our end of season golf tournament tomorrow morning. Oh well, we'll make the best of the time we do have together. We will be heading up to Bar Harbor for the Columbus Day weekend. We are both looking forward to that!

I really should take advantage of the time I have today to get some grocery shopping done, do a workout, and straighten out my basement after just having a new boiler installed. i need to clean everything up and reorganize storage shelves.

I'm not getting much done by sitting here typing, so....

Later gators!
Hope y'all have a great day!

R

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
I had called the Yota dealership less than a month ago to get daughter a quote for the proper transmission fluid. At that time was quoted $6.58 a qt with four qts needed. She finally got around to ordering early this week to be dropped off prepaid to the dealership in town owned by same company but Dodge/Chrysler dealer. Had a discussion with parts guy about increasing oil prices and unavailable status of much of it. Mopar 80w90 at is now at $56 a qt, wow, and he can’t get it! Picked up oil and placed the box in my car and looked at what she paid for four qts of transmission fluid. She paid $58 for four qts, big difference in three weeks time.

·
Registered
720 Posts

Speaking of damaged merchandise from a hardware store, you could be entitled to a reduction in purchase price and thus a partial refund. We recently had some work done to our house that included replacing the side door to the garage. Contractor had us meet him at the LHS to make sure he’d be installing the door we wanted. Once we decided of which door, he found another same one but with two minor almost un noticeable smudges in the prime coat. Because of that, he was able get a major discount on that door at the cash register for us. 😀. Might be worth something to investigate.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
I had called the Yota dealership less than a month ago to get daughter a quote for the proper transmission fluid. At that time was quoted $6.58 a qt with four qts needed. She finally got around to ordering early this week to be dropped off prepaid to the dealership in town owned by same company but Dodge/Chrysler dealer. Had a discussion with parts guy about increasing oil prices and unavailable status of much of it. Mopar 80w90 at is now at $56 a qt, wow, and he can’t get it! Picked up oil and placed the box in my car and looked at what she paid for four qts of transmission fluid. She paid $58 for four qts, big difference in three weeks time.
Transmission fluid is averaging $15 a quart from my research for my daughter’s RDX. BMW is probably more, of course. I called my indy bmw guy for a quote and he told me that I was wasting my money at 70k miles when bmw says 100k miles. Told him I don’t care and want differential done too. BMW doesn’t care after the warranty. 100k is way too long for any fluid. Fluids are critical in cars.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Had done my research and have often gone with a certain other brand lubricant versus one with the factory label. With both the tuna boat and the diesel, fluids/lubricants used had the Royal Purple label with good results. For awhile, with the Eaton locker in the tuna boat rear differential, I used the factory labeled fluid until sperm whale oil based lubricant was no longer available so shifted over to Royal Purple with good results. With the BMW and probably will be the same choice with the Audi, I’ll use those factory labeled/recommended fluids just because.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Transmission fluid is averaging $15 a quart from my research for my daughter’s RDX. BMW is probably more, of course. I called my indy bmw guy for a quote and he told me that I was wasting my money at 70k miles when bmw says 100k miles. Told him I don’t care and want differential done too. BMW doesn’t care after the warranty. 100k is way too long for any fluid. Fluids are critical in cars.
Yeah if you drive any vehicle to just to the grocery store and back then factory recommendations would apply.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Absolutely agree on life of oil contamination with metal particulates and clutch pack substances. Not real sure what the Prius transmission has in it that give me black hands but magnetic drain plug wasn’t terrible either. After seeing the fluid I will be doing at most 60k intervals as you can drain 100% of all fluid on a Prius transmission.
This is likely the result of red to black in 162k miles on daughters car.
Automotive tire Tire Fluid Water Plastic bottle

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Low 50's and raining. Been raining and will continue for a few days. Not said to get heavy, but ground don't have much room for more at this time.

Took the hardware off the 69A and started a noremf stock cleaning. Got a lot of dirt off on the soap and rinse cycle. Think I'll do another one tomorrow when I get home from the steel shoot. I got the magazine release out and didn't sail the teeny tiny c lip spring that most loose.

Worked drywall and plaster for years and never used a stud finder. Knuckle or a light hammer tap.

Is that new work bench stuff going to fit down the steps/entrance Wolfe ?

10621 - 10640 of 14185 Posts