Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Watering Hole

303262 Views 18170 Replies 115 Participants Last post by  Boilerjack22
WELCOME TO THE WATERING HOLE

A stress-free place to gather and share whatever is on your mind! A fun place of mutual respect where you can hang your hat, vent, relax and shoot the bull for a while!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate that faith.

To all others, Happy Spring!

Easter symbolizes a new beginning, so it is fitting that TWH has a new beginning as well!
Along with RFC, TWH has been remodeled!

Actually, it can be anything you imagine it to be!

I am happy to announce that due to the increased bandwidth of the new RFC, there is no longer a need for the weekly closing and re-opening of TWH!!! After 10+ years of weekly "flipping" we now get to keep the doors open continuously! My sincere thanks to our moderators, especially Sophia, for making this possible!

I would also like to thank all the members who have kept this boat afloat for so long! We have become like family here, and now have a permanent residence! (y) While we have many long-time members who have been enjoying the company found in this amazing virtual bar, we also welcome all new folks. Jump right in! The first drink is always on the house and Veterans always have an open bar!
Al The Infidel (Tubby Slayer extraordinaire) is the bar manager.

So, let's get this re-opening celebration going! Set 'em up, Al! Drinks all around!!!
10601 - 10620 of 18171 Posts

· Registered
2,859 Posts
Think you'll be glad for having done that, Don, on down the road. Not my cup of tea, yano, but way more popular than whot I'm into... and a better buy today than if ya decided to get into the market yesterday for a one-day rally that was but a figment of some fool's imagination.

Short term gains are proven pains; look at past lotto winners. It's seldom werked out for them.

Here today, gone tomorrow.

No one times the market, except by pure blind coincidence, and you can count them on one hand. And most mess that up too.

How to say anything?
--

Made a quick run by the NtM [New to Me] W/H to be rid of some stuff and pick up more, a tit for a tat or somma dat. It's stupid pricey, but also much less than anything else I could find when under great duress earlier in the year when I was in a dire straights. On the plus side, it is very convenient, as was my old one. Sigh, just whot it is, life.

Stopped by one of my bottle sellers on the return. They were supposed to have a case of Citadelle French gin in 1.75 L bottles w/two tagged for me, at a righteous price. Nope, it hadn't made it yet, so they offered to sell me .75L bottles of Nolet's' for $20/bottle. I took six as that was one super nice price. Same family has been making that very subtle 95° gin in Holland for over ten generations. That's where gin originated. It lacks the complexity of Citadelle, but still makes a fine martini... by itself w/no additions whatsoever. I've had two.

Bride has her own idea'rs about my morrow. There is a possibility that I may comply, but the odds are even. That too is just whot it is. No other way to say that.

I'm having difficulty finding anyone who will shoot the fun shoot w/me on Sunday, as there is a nearby NSCA shoot also taking place and my out of town folks won't make it. I'm past worrying about NSCA shoots in our area or that need traveling to. I'd rather just shoot for FUN and do the best I can, in the moment, It's just where I'm at.

Hope all those shooting for score in registered NSCA targets Sunday do well. I consort w/many, but it's not where I'm at. Anymore, it's about still being able to call 'PULL!'... and hoping it broke.

Just being honest, and not in the least concerned w/whot gets scored. I'm perfectly fine with any results given credit for... or not.

I'd typed more, but it wuz somehow edited. Not gonna worry about it.

All, take care of yerselves; I B trying.

· Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Surprised you didn't build your own work bench and no car pix to boot? :oops:

No camera with, and didn't think of it. Was an encounter by chance driving by.

I had thought of building my own, but I wanted a metal frame, and a laminated maple strip top. Cost of materials exceeds what I can buy one for. I'd also would need to buy a welder, put in a 220 outlet for it, and probably lean how to weld. I haven't welded in over 35 years, and never welded much, with my welds showing my lack of skill. I got such a great deal on the accessories, that again, the material cost to build some of them myself are nearly the cost of the factory built parts.

Hope to get the bench itself in the next month or two. What I did get were a couple of uprights that mount at the back of the bench that are essentially strut channel, with rails and other accessories that can be clamped any where you desire along the upright channels. I got a rail that attaches between them, to which I will attach a power strip. Got the parts to put id an air hose chuck. Got an extended arm to attach to the upright that will hold a articulating magnifying lamp. I will design and build an overhead light bracket using strut channel for a LED shop light. May add some pegboard for a back wall. The nice thing about the strut channel type uprights, is that you can easily reconfigure the layout of accessories as you desire.

I do have an articulating arm with a louvered panel that holds those plastic parts bins. I may not use it for it's intended purpose, as you could easily modify it to hold a monitor, or other I was looking at these Pro Benches a couple years ago, getting ideas, when this item came up deep into AMZ pages of my search. It was less than one tenth the normal cost. Don't know if it was a typo, or clearance or what.. I don't think they could even ship it from the seller in Kali for what I paid. Can't even get the panel with out the articulating arm for what I paid. I'll use it in some fashion.

Rectangle Material property Fixture Gas Parallel

· Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Goodnight Gigi, Sophia, Jetgirl, Al, Rhody, Don, mdew, wook, blackwolfe, Alum, GF, Sail, TD, Szumi, COW, Wayne, Gobb, Ranger, Hawkeye, Atonic, W8LON, Darkest, pans, efly, Phil, TinCan, Greggie, Mike, Rock, dlong, Gerald, M92, AZ, Tricks, Brent, jnyork, OldDave, nfcracin, GP, JDWin, Whip, RichJ, squirrel, syfr, JVStalin, zenaca, 404, Wade, koonta, acheyj, vlnbyr, rosscoe, arjay, Flys, wr, labratt, RonL, 1917, Carrij, Mikey, JimWY, Johnny, rj, Rick, calibrian, Lt Crunch, Bugeye,Gobbler, DrGunner, Tiger-ock, LASTSHOT and all the rest.

Sleep tight :sleeping
Those no longer with us. Mayor, Ron, Dean, Marilyn, Noremf and David. We will meet again.

· Registered
2,859 Posts
Bride fixed a pot of fresh green beans w/small artisanal taters and a few slices of thick-cut bacon for dinner. It ate great and the whole ofvit is now history. We didn't have nor need anything else. Fresh green beans fixed in that manner are hard to beat for good eatin'. They are one of my favorite foods, but we don't have them all that often. I guess that's part of what makes them so special. Their ends snapped off, wrenched w/cold tap water in a collander and put in a pot of water covering them w/some thick-cut lean bacon slices whacked into fourths and brought to a boil, then backed off to a s-l-o-w simmer of hours, 'til tender. Taters halved and added in time to cook thru before serving. Nothing fancy, just requires some time. I like hot apple cider pepper vinegar made w/no-name decorative peppers, on mine. Some folks use salt pork rather than or in addition to bacon, but I prefer them prepared w/o salt pork. I'll eat them either way, just think they are better and cleaner tasting w/o the added salt.

Thinking to perhaps have a midnight martini and then cash it in. Have the doors and windows open this evening and it's right pleasant inside. First time doing that since sometime back in May, IIRC. Jack & the bride have been down for a while, now. Zzzzzzin' away, comfortably. It may get cooler as the night
progresses. Nothing wrong w/that.

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Taking camera lenses apart is not for the weak of heart! Got it back together after being surprised by the engineers efforts to make it smooth as butter. Around 24 tiny little.030 ball bearings keeping friction at bay for the diagram stop down feature on old Olympus lenses. Now I know and know how to put one back together. Next time I tear into one it will be on a cookie pan with a white linen pillow case covering it!
Was always fascinated by 21 jewel automatic watches but never got an old gummed up one to keep accurate time. Winter projects.

· Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Up n attem Wolfman!

Good morning Watering Hole patrons.

Hope that all are well, especially all our Eastern and Southeastern friends in the wake of or path of the storm.
Don't think we've head from Gerald or Rhody recently.

Have a great day with great fun.

Take care my friends, stay vigilant.

· Premium Member
4,492 Posts
Good Morning RFC'rs, et al:

Taters, Sausage and Onion all chopped up into hash and on the stove in my favorite cast iron skillet. Bout to be breakfast.

Gretchen is sitting on the coffee table staring at me, while the front door is wide open for her. Why is she staring at me ? Strange cat.

· Premium Member
37,727 Posts
Don't think we've head from Gerald or Rhody recently.
bump
Good Morning RFC'rs, et al:

Gretchen is sitting on the coffee table staring at me, while the front door is wide open for her. Why is she staring at me ? Strange cat.
They all are, some are just more strange.

Besides the boiled err simmered barnbird thighs & toadstool zoop in the crockpot the Finn likes lil red taters halved with open faces down in lotsa garlic salted butter in the oven. I got her to cut back on the garlic to make em edible for this non garleek lover. Extra butter is spooned over the fork smashed taters and mixed veggies or whatever.

Did my first Lovenox injection since what, 2012? Nice sharp needle but the juice still smarts a little like I member.

Sposed to be nuther nice, nay great one for the working 'class' with the weekend off from feeding the pineapples, presently @ 45ºF.

Grub shopping and robbing deer of wormy honey crisp apples tis the order of the day and might mix in a little Nascar while at it.

· Premium Member
58,299 Posts
Ian's done for around here, 66 MPH top wind between 7-9pm yesterday, nothing but lots and lots of leaves down in my yards, haven't seen a total rainfall for us yet but there were flood watches out most of yesterday, estimated rainfall 2.5 to 4.0 inches. Prayers for those less fortunate.

· Premium Member
2,865 Posts

Spencer does that to me when he wants to play.

Weather is supposed to be perfect today. Great day to do some more photography! Y’all have a great day!!!

Brent

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
The wandering photographer(son) walked in wanting to borrow a camera for low light indoor pictures at a reception. Around his neck already is a D700 full frame which beats all for landscape but not so great in high ISO conditions.
I set him up with a Pentax K-5 with a Sigma 30mm f1.4 AF lens, clean 64GB card and a battery grip with two fresh batteries. He’s good for around 3000 photos for the day.
Went through the foreign to Nikon user menus and simple four arrow controls with thumb wheel and finger wheel controlling f-stops and shutter speeds in any mode. Get lost and hit the green button to bring you back to default or user setup changed in main menu. He wandered off with cameras strapped.
Twenty minutes later I texted and asked if he got a hang of it, “yup it’s easy”! He is wandering back for a nifty fifty Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 manual lens with mount contacts for full control other than focus with thumb wheel of f-stops just like an AF lens. A system designed with retrospect from 1950’s lenses to the latest greatest!

I was hooked on Pentax after a few hours of use and once he gets home to look at his monitor of uploaded photos, I may have another Pentaxian.

· Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Woke up at 10:30 am from my NyQuil induced haze. Woke up originally at abut 3 am, with a pounding head ache, having chest tightness and generally feeling like crap. Took some NyQuil, laid there for about an hour, fell a sleep, got out out bed at 10:30 am, my remote range day shot too hell.

10601 - 10620 of 18171 Posts