Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Watering Hole

303337 Views 18172 Replies 115 Participants Last post by  wookness
WELCOME TO THE WATERING HOLE

A stress-free place to gather and share whatever is on your mind! A fun place of mutual respect where you can hang your hat, vent, relax and shoot the bull for a while!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate that faith.

To all others, Happy Spring!

Easter symbolizes a new beginning, so it is fitting that TWH has a new beginning as well!
Along with RFC, TWH has been remodeled!

Actually, it can be anything you imagine it to be!

I am happy to announce that due to the increased bandwidth of the new RFC, there is no longer a need for the weekly closing and re-opening of TWH!!! After 10+ years of weekly "flipping" we now get to keep the doors open continuously! My sincere thanks to our moderators, especially Sophia, for making this possible!

I would also like to thank all the members who have kept this boat afloat for so long! We have become like family here, and now have a permanent residence! (y) While we have many long-time members who have been enjoying the company found in this amazing virtual bar, we also welcome all new folks. Jump right in! The first drink is always on the house and Veterans always have an open bar!
Al The Infidel (Tubby Slayer extraordinaire) is the bar manager.

So, let's get this re-opening celebration going! Set 'em up, Al! Drinks all around!!!
1 - 20 of 1462 Posts

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
It was, my dad's was the first stop. 100 eggs between a 3 & 4 year old... we may have over did it. Lol.
That’s like a thousand dollars worth at Walmart right now!
I should fill my car at Aldi’s for .70c a dozen and become a dealer in Walmart parking lots. I could prosper at $1.25.
Ice cream was still $1.99 this morning though.

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
We’ve had about thirty inches of snow since the announcement of Spring now, stop!

Yesterdays Easter ham was a hit cooked in the Dutch oven. Of course everything is good cooked in my 120+ year old cast iron. I found it setting atop a fence post and drug it home fifty years ago while helping dad track a buck he hit.
It warmed up to around 45° yesterday and had the pups out in the sun for a little play time. Son and I worked off our meal with 10-15 miles of biking. It was nice to get out. He tried one of the local trails with my Gary Fisher Fat Possum until the trail ended with downed trees. I’ll be walking sections of trail this week with the saw cleaning up downed trees and limbs from recent ice/wind storms preparing for real Spring this week. Volunteered son and my help with the local trail network group to help out. Pretty much three people are taking care of the hundreds of miles of backwoods single track while thousands enjoy them. Plans in place to have connectors for the entire trail system in next few years are being authorized by the DNR. We will have world class trails and become a destination place for mountain bike riders.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Cleaned up almost three sections of trail this morning. One section I’ve ridden once and thought death was eminent. I didn’t even like walking it with snow falling as there’s a 300’ near vertical drop off to the side of the foot wide trail. Other sections of that trail are steep climbs and steep downhills strewn with sharp pointy rocks.
With those two sections cleared went onto the next looking for what blocked my son. Sawed up the first downed tree and pulled the brush off to side then continued on. Found what I believe was sons blockade which will require help clearing as it’s too large for this old guy. Cut some on it but with top pushing against a hill and trunk snapped off eight foot off ground it felt like it was going to roll over on me. Pinched bar and thrown chain, done till tomorrow with help and pulling equipment.
Even signed my name with the saw!

Nice to have trails within the city limits for a quick spin.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Do they have names?
We have a Copper and a Gus, hopefully two of the female Yooper pups will be picked and receive names this coming weekend. All males have been reserved and four of the girls with two remaining unspoken for. Guess I should print out a few fliers for local bulletin boards and get a move on the remaining two.

I’ve chosen my male as Breda’s mate for future breeding. A liver and white male a week younger than our pups with impressive lines. I’ll pick him up in May when I tote the southern pups to the lower.

I have to come up with a name for this guy too but need to meet him first.
April 19, 2022

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Crashed hard after dropping son off at work 6am. Was sore from yesterdays trail work and toting a chainsaw for a few miles. Whatever o did during that nap fixed my sore shoulder once more. It’s like the titanium fasteners holding tendons to bone get a little twisted at times when I move wrong. Who knows, but I was thinking a slumber in a bath tub full of warm CBD oil may help for body aches and pains. The daughters auto mechanic work had me hurting for a full week and the only thing that give relief was the little tin of CBD salve a coworker made up. Lots of high priced fakes being sold these days but I give it a ya whatever until I tried this one. It’s legal, why not!
Sunny and 32° at the moment and supposed to climb to 41. If the sun continues will get the pups outside once more. We pride ourselves on handing over eight week old pups that know where to go potty, outside. This weather has to let up soon I would think.
Seven month old Breda is bringing toys to her little brothers and sisters wanting to play.

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Kreiger would be a good name, rolls off the tongue with authority. Ma always said name a dog with a two syllable name as they can hear it better when called. Gun dogs need gun dog names, hence Breda for our keeper girl from last litter. I picked her out the day she was born and by week two she would turn her head when called. She knew she was special.
Everyone names their bird dogs Remington or Ruger suppose theirs a few named Browning as well. Citori may be a bit confusing.
SIL I guess didn’t like her little nearly white pups name that I give him WiLliaM (WLM). I thought it a great name as that was their fathers name. She named him Gus which fits as well. Hopefully she gets a lot of joy out of him and sure she will have him well trained to help pick up things she can’t reach. She lost a leg when she was a teenager hitching a ride home from s party when the driver passed out or fell asleep at the wheel. He got the end of a guard rail at high speed and split her side of the car in half. He walked away unharmed while she didn’t. Her dogs were always her kids but no luck getting healthy English Bulldogs. Three in a row with major health issues and dying too young. She don’t need the heartbreak.
One big old male Bulldog she had was her baby and wouldn’t leave her side day or night. She had her stump cut down and spent a couple months in the hospital getting healed up and a new prosthetic made. Gramma took care of her boy while she was away but left her old leg behind in the closet. Ask the dog where momma was and he would go get the leg and carry it around the rest of the day. Character!

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
With that crack the action screws were likely torqued too tight. Possibly a poorly fitted bedding job. I prefer to turn perfect fitting aluminum bedding pillars that the action screws go through and epoxy in place. Especially with synthetic stocks.

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
We cleared several sections of trails of downed trees this morning. The local club bought a Rokon back in February from proceeds of local races.
I have bike envy big time after seeing it action. Maybe I’ll get to tool around on it one day if I keep on volunteering. Have several sections yet to go still.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
It's fun to watch people ride a Rokon. Not so much fun to ride one yourself. Wait for them to turn the handlebars and hit the gas and watch them go flying off on their head. I knew a guy when I lived in Fairbanks that bought one and went riding out to a cabin with some friends that were on 4-wheelers. They all made it there in a couple hours. It took him four and he was a filthy mess from falling off so many times.
So I shouldn’t lose sleep dreaming of taking it for a slow speed spin ehh? Slow crashes are the worst as you don’t skid much just thump.
A few summers ago I took my eldest brothers mini bike for a spin with one of his souped up kart engines mounted. Didn’t crash it when the throttle stuck wide open but was about pushing the kill button through the handlebar. Something about having a souped up clone engine putting out around 30hp that just didn’t jive well with 12” tires.

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
I didn't realize it had front wheel drive. Thanks.
Big gearing with sprockets nearly as large as rims. I’ll have to ask him if he’s crashed it yet on the wild trails he designs. Son rode out one of his tree bridges over a ravine. He likely took the Rokon over it today as wasn’t walking that 1000’ climb section with him.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
After a four or five month wait to see an audiologist and ENT Dr the day has finally come. Had several bouts of ear infections throughout the last year. A week of answering texts enter 1) to confirm the appointment the called to confirm yesterday afternoon. Good grief, what we have here is failure to communicate.
While the pork shoulder roast was slow cooking in the Dutch oven for four hours son and I rode three sections of MTB trail. Way too much ice cream and lack of excercise this long winter. I had buzzards circling close after one particularly difficult climbing section. A few too many layers of supposedly breathable polypropylene with a goretex parka on top and found myself cooking within. Middle layer was drenched and trapped all the sweat upon returning home. Next time it will be a light merino sweater with the wicking T shirt against skin. Good test of what to wear and lesson learned on a forty degree afternoon with a brisk wind. Little sore but shoulders and back pain much improved after a good jostling.

Have a great day!

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
I think I once again failed my left hearing test. Same audiologist different hospital system. I followed him but they have no access to previous tests as the hospital that dropped the ball losing my ENT upon retirement is not giving out that info. Healthcare at its finest.

Supposedly a new and improved BAHA hearing device has replaced my old. Would be nice to have Bluetooth wired into my skull as I can hear few phone calls on a standard phone. My iPhone has the audio but home phone is just a waste of breath for the caller. Now the new ENT to see what she has to say.

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Another Ram, Al?
Rumor has it the truck has been replaced?

New ENT visit went well and I like her, much preferred to see an APNP than an MD, they take the time to explain stuff better IMOP. MD’s in my experience don’t have that bedside manner and it is below them to explain what is going on. My regular NP I’ve followed around for the past six or seven years is leaving the system in June. They give me a list of MD’s as a replacement. With no scheduled visits I’d prefer to find out directly from him where he is moving on to so I can follow. Likely a VA move as many do in this area so no more great Dr for me. Perhaps a fresh set of eyes isn’t such a bad idea if they know differently.

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Pillars are easy and worthwhile on synthetic stocks as you can actually torque action bolts without the heads disappearing in mushy stocks. As I said before either there was poor bedding from a bad mold or overtorqued by the monkey assembling the factory rifle to create that crack in bolt cutout.
I even bedded my CZ stocks for the 452 V after making pillars. Liberal coat of paste wax to action and other metal parts and epoxy putty that you knead in you palm. I use the epoxy Carquest carries made for plastic and it’s easy to work with and done in a few hours. Good stuff and a whole lot less scary than runny epoxy getting in places that will make it permanent.
Pete’s Pillars likely has the pillars premade for you rifle Kansas if you don’t have a lathe. If I had accurate measurements for action bolt size and length needed as well as action diameter if round where they seat I could turn a couple and send them to you. My maximum collet size on the instrument lathe is 5/16” outside diameter though.

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Where is you sense of adventure TD ?

Nothing like waiting a day to find out if it comes back apart. :unsure:
I raise my hand to that one with a full stock octagon muzzleloader barrel. They become one permanently even with release agent and freezing the whole stock and barrel. A tomahawk would have removed it though.

· Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Morning, survived the night after an afternoon second booster. Run a fever all night covered with two blankets including the svedish wool. Don’t know how high it was just was shivering all night with no sweats, perhaps my temp dropped instead. Delirious must have got up to pee twenty times. If I had any stones building up they flushed right out.

Rain all night and quite heavy at times at least it didn’t turn to snow. Family of the MTB trail builder stopped yesterday to look at pups and hand over the reserve. Nice family and will be the teenage son’s birthday pup. I like to see them stay close with active families. Brittany’s have endless energy yet are comfortable just sleeping in. Not a one person breed at all yet they may have a favorite everyone gets their attention.

I saw that we had a mutual friend that got one of first litter pups. I asked if he had met Apache, yes, awesome dog! That’s all it took and they wanted one. Apache was less than ten months when his first bird season come around.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 1462 Posts