Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Watering Hole

303262 Views 18170 Replies 115 Participants Last post by  Boilerjack22
WELCOME TO THE WATERING HOLE

A stress-free place to gather and share whatever is on your mind! A fun place of mutual respect where you can hang your hat, vent, relax and shoot the bull for a while!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate that faith.

To all others, Happy Spring!

Easter symbolizes a new beginning, so it is fitting that TWH has a new beginning as well!
Along with RFC, TWH has been remodeled!

Actually, it can be anything you imagine it to be!

I am happy to announce that due to the increased bandwidth of the new RFC, there is no longer a need for the weekly closing and re-opening of TWH!!! After 10+ years of weekly "flipping" we now get to keep the doors open continuously! My sincere thanks to our moderators, especially Sophia, for making this possible!

I would also like to thank all the members who have kept this boat afloat for so long! We have become like family here, and now have a permanent residence! (y) While we have many long-time members who have been enjoying the company found in this amazing virtual bar, we also welcome all new folks. Jump right in! The first drink is always on the house and Veterans always have an open bar!
Al The Infidel (Tubby Slayer extraordinaire) is the bar manager.

So, let's get this re-opening celebration going! Set 'em up, Al! Drinks all around!!!
1 - 20 of 946 Posts

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
In and went and done it…….finally bought/ordered a battery powered lawn mower. Purchasing a Kolbalt that is powered by two 24 volt batteries which will work just fine as all of my battery powered tools are 24 volt Kolbalts. Do have a five plus year old electric lawn mower that is working great but the weekly times two ie front yard and back yard reeling and unreeling the 100 foot long power cord has taken it toll on it and about once a year needing to be replaced and they aren’t cheap even from HF.

Sunny and into the 80’s for the next few days and then rain later in the week. Fun gear is all ready to go and squeezed in final scheduled practice for which ever match I attend next Sunday pending the weather.
Kolbalt is Lowes private brand, right? I almost bought a battery mower but I got my gas one going. Battery mower is in my future, maybe Greenworks. Not cheap, about 5 bills.

Reactions: M92pv4u

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Another way of getting wiring from here to there especially in a attic or underneath a house is to use a kid rated power crossbow with a string attached to the end of the bolt. “Loose” the bolt and then use the aforementioned string to pull the wiring into position.
I’ve done my share of jerking cable all over this old house. You have to know where the chases are. BX , Romex, CAT6, RG59, 18/2, you name it. I’ve used the mouse method. Tie a pull string on the mouses tail and put some cheese on the other end. Those little guys can fit through any crack and crevice.

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
The IT guys got away with doing that in commercial buildings for years. They even had little dart guns to shoot string to pull cables with. Some times trying to lift a suspended ceiling panel had so many cables on top it was heavy. We electricians had to support all our wires. Finally the powers that be changed the electrical code to make the IT guys support and bundle their cables. This was only because the fire departments had trouble fighting fires with all the IT cables in their way.
Shortly after this I had an IT guy ask me if he could use my hangers to run his cables. I told him not very politely what he could do with his cables.
Low voltage and high voltage should be separated anyway.

Reactions: OldDave

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Just had 2 of these huge syringe delivered from Amazon to suck the oil out of small engines. Great idea. I’ll use for the snow blower in the fall. Can probably suck some brake fluid out of the reservoir to get some of the old fluid out and mix with new. Do it about 4 times and most of the fluid will be new.
Wood Fluid Liquid Gesture Drinkware

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Non union low voltage sub work.
If you find that they don't hold up, purchase one of these.
Thanks for the heads up. I like the idea of clear so I can see what’s coming out and how much. It was $8 for two so if they don’t last it’s not a big deal. If I’m sucking out some kind of fluid once a year, it’s a lot.

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Can you show what a Union low voltage work would look?
Having been a Teamster’s and ALPA member years ago, I have no use or respect for unions.
From a union low voltage sub I worked with in the past. Not cheap.
Automotive tire Grille Wood Bicycle tire Automotive lighting
Rectangle Gas Electrical wiring Engineering Computer hardware

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Had I known ahead of time that I would be relocating the modem/router to the top of the kitchen cabinets, I would have looked for a lower profile one. That said, it looks a lot more obvious in this picture than in person. Obviously you’re not normally walking through there looking up towards the ceiling.

I might be able to make a wooden shelf that would allow me to lay it on its side and still be open for ventilation. Not on my priority list at the moment though.

View from up above. I put the connections plate as close to the cabinet as I could get it so everything would be low enough to not see (except for that tall modem end🧐).

I was going to wire an outlet up top too, but the extension cord isn’t bugging me enough to seriously consider that at the moment. It hides nicely behind the refrigerator. If I do the outlet later, there’s an outlet 16 inches to the right of my connections plate and approximately 4 feet down that I could tie into fairly easily.

Just for fun, I put the modem on its side……

A simple slightly elevated and ventilated platform wouldn’t be that hard to make! 😃

Brent
Drill a small hole in the top of the back of the cabinet and a small hole in the bottom back and staple the cable to the back of the inside of the cabinet and out the bottom. Nice and neat. No one will ever see the hole in the top or bottom.

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
That would work, but I would have the modem cord and Lutron bridge cord running through. Plug on the extension cord is too big to run through.

Brent
Cut the plug off the extension cord and put a new plug on after you run it through the cabinet.

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Good looking Pups, sure make me miss my Kate...

Nope Rhody, I'm not going anywhere, that was my rant over a couple of folks busting on Wookness over his blue posts, one in particular who seems to be negative about everything anyone else does. No not Al...😁

Good news is the Turkey hunt is on for Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning, plus some Carp removal from one of the two ponds on the Farm. I've not had a chance to hunt with my Nephew ever and stopping by his house with a 8 point buck's head and cape in the back of my truck is what started his desire to hunt. He's the President of a fair sizing Residential Management company which had made my Dad and now me a lot of money so its been hard for us to connect.

Nephew with a Turkey he took opening day at the Farm

His Dad, my BIL, with a little Bass from one of the Ponds

Farm hasn't been hunted nor ponds fished in over 5 years.
Nice bass. I never caught one on a buzz bait. Geez, that pole looks like a surf rod. Very long.

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Guy around here likes to build stuff. A few years back he put about a 5HP Briggs and Straton engine on an adult trike bicycle. Then he mounted a small aircraft propeller on the engine. He put a steel wire cage around the prop from an industrial fan for a guard. That thing would move. Not sure how fast it would go, and I doubt he new either. He did say he had to back off the throttle as it got quite sketch and squirrel before he ran out of throttle.

This guy also built a hemi powered motorcycle. He also built a twin hemi powered car that would be at some of the shows in the area. Some one once asked him how much it cost. He said he had all the receipts, but was afraid to add it all up.
Kinda like this Cox car I had when I was a kid.
Toy Hood Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Ram Longhorn Limited Lon.

Is cat torturing legal there?

I've done a few successful beddings but pillerless.
Dr Gunner has a good tutorial if you can find it KS.

Busy morning with lots of calorie free fat chewing exploring accessories such as graphics and ceramic durability etc..

Finn insisted on mwa in the pic. Graphics on the rear storage bins aka Ram Boxes, will be done when the graphics arrive, or later in this world of whenever.

View attachment 300480 View attachment 300480 View attachment 300480

Yes on the low range gear Wolf. It took me up the Iron Mt ski hill I was too skeert to go back down.
Pics of the saddle interior please.

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
I know a guy that does vehicle cockpit leatherwork Flys if you're interested. 😋

Got the parts to put on the VN vet plate on the nose end of the new *bucket of bolts. Ram had 4 holes in the bumper and thats it. Its a bit of a finagle to reach on the backside of the bumper with 2 air dams in the way. NAPA gave me a hand and we ended up with rubber grommets with brass threaded inserts whereas the rubber expands as the bolt is screwed tight most similar to some wall anchors.

In other news hockey great named Guy LaFleur aka The Flower died today at the age of 70.

*bucket of bolts: what my dad's dingleberry GF called one of his new trucks.
Bet your hoping is wont snow anymore with the new ride. Hows that funky little wheel working out for ya for the shifting? They should have put in on the center console. I like driving with my arm on the console holding on to the shift knob, even if is just an electrical switch.

Reactions: Szumi

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Siphon starter?

Don't look at the DOW Dlong.
I won't even look at my brokerage accounts. I keep telling my son buy,buy. But remember, you don't lose unless you sell. Right? Been down this road before, only I was a younger man.

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Tell me about this smelt and crackers and cheddar. Sounds good and very Norwegian.

· Premium Member
6,547 Posts
Watered the new seed. Still no sprouts after a week. Maybe a little too cold at night and not warm enough during the day. By next week I should see sprouts. Already did my second cut yesterday.

1 - 20 of 946 Posts