Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Watering Hole

303337 Views 18172 Replies 115 Participants Last post by  wookness
WELCOME TO THE WATERING HOLE

A stress-free place to gather and share whatever is on your mind! A fun place of mutual respect where you can hang your hat, vent, relax and shoot the bull for a while!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate that faith.

To all others, Happy Spring!

Easter symbolizes a new beginning, so it is fitting that TWH has a new beginning as well!
Along with RFC, TWH has been remodeled!

Actually, it can be anything you imagine it to be!

I am happy to announce that due to the increased bandwidth of the new RFC, there is no longer a need for the weekly closing and re-opening of TWH!!! After 10+ years of weekly "flipping" we now get to keep the doors open continuously! My sincere thanks to our moderators, especially Sophia, for making this possible!

I would also like to thank all the members who have kept this boat afloat for so long! We have become like family here, and now have a permanent residence! (y) While we have many long-time members who have been enjoying the company found in this amazing virtual bar, we also welcome all new folks. Jump right in! The first drink is always on the house and Veterans always have an open bar!
Al The Infidel (Tubby Slayer extraordinaire) is the bar manager.

So, let's get this re-opening celebration going! Set 'em up, Al! Drinks all around!!!
1 - 20 of 289 Posts

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
In for the long run.

Does this mean no more post purging, and Al can soar back to his place of honor ?

May hit 40* if sun keeps trying to get through. Started with snow. Said to have white grass and slushy roads tomorrow.

On call for taste testing PeanutButter pie.

I like the old bar better, sprinkles won't show as much in black & white.

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Trying this lighter shade of blue. Will see whot the dark moder's say. It may be not so hard to read & provide better contrast. Call it a trial balloon. New site does not have the old font I preferred as an option. This one is okay, just not as light-hearted. the other was 'comic'.
--
I 'm on the dark side and can see you again wook.(y)

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Thanks,Wook. Picked a pot of Petunias for the Wife.
We are getting the trip-fecta of winter weather ,here ,in the Valley. Rain,Sleet and snow. Snow is building up on the grass and the roads are slush covered. EMS and Fire are responding to multiple crashes on the roads.
I,m home safe & warm. Will put out some seeds & such for the birds,thought I was done with that for the year.
Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Sihler !

It started as a mix here, now mostly snow. Getting heavier with the green turning white, but not slushing the roads yet. Sidewalks froze over though.

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your friend GB.

Sunny heading for 60*. First time for sun and temps above 50ish for a week now. Got skid steer running and moved closer to garage before weather went sour, but haven't gone no further .
Got an errand to run then I'll hit it with the grease gun, check fluids and tire pressures. Then the real PIA of putting fuel in.

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
It's 8* higher than the 60 they guessed and may hit 70*. Supposed to climb close to 80* for the weekend and into Monday. Then the bottom drops out for the rest of next week with highs lucky to hit 50.

Looks similar to the Wifes office Sails, but you have room to turn around in yours.

Topped of the tank in the skid steer with 2/5-gallon cans of liquid gold. They get heavier every year.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Asphalt Public space

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Siphon starter?

6'H cedar privacy fence posts are only 2'D and the NE corner of the yard useta be swamp hence now a $$ leaning 8-9yr old fence towards the neighbor's garden. One could see the lean looking at the fence flat on 33yds away from the window. 5yrs ago? we dug out one side of the offending posts, pulled it straight and pounded metal fence posts down, screwed em to a couple of the cedar posts posts and filled in the gaps on the other sides of the posts with sand and pounded it in. As the water table is only 3'D in the spring on that corner of the 33ydx33yd yard the effort alas proved in vain.
Yep, syphon beats spittin deasel. Pump can also be used for oil in motors with no drain plug, but then it has to be cleaned. :eek:

If you ever replant them post go about 6"s deeper and fill with 6"s of crushed / tamped stone then put the post in. Leaves room for freezing / thawing to take place without effecting the post. Always worked on corner post and flagpoles.

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Wife says I've got chauffeuring duties to catch up on which means waiting on the slowest woman in the world to get ready she started an hour and half ago and I'm still waiting. Guess a trip on my own out to the range is not going to work out, wanting to try out the Kidd triggers I installed and finally shot the Ruger/Kidd hybrid that got CPC'd. Oh well.
The price I pay for going hunting Wed/Thur.
While we're planning and having the good time, we often overlook the hidden cost.

As wook would say, The cost of doing biddness. :D

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
I hope Rhody is up to the responsibility that comes with the freedom of no Sunday morning flips.

Without the flip we won't have a clue of when a search party is needed. :D

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Well, they're up! The easiest put-together I've done for a lonnnng time - nicely engineered and rock solid. THey all lock together nicely.

Now to fill them with all the "stuff" I took out of the shelves that used to be there ...

View attachment 301160
So that is a stool that was under that stack of stuff. ;)

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Retrieved a few tons of washout from the other drive, and filled the ruts from two years of being put off.
The drive is on the far end of the lot we picked up beside us about 11 years ago. We bought it, tore down a red tagged double wide, and filled in the basement with the sand mound we had tore out. At the time I put a slate base across the back of the lot and continued the drive to cross over and connect with the back of the drive at the house. Sorta like a drive through with no samich at the other end.:(

While I was bouncing my bones in the little yellow box I added a few ton of dirt behind my target. It had done a lot of settling since I put it in, and the dirt wasn't much higher than the target backer. It was a little to wet to get the right side were I want it, so I'll let it dry up a little then add a few more buckets. I still have a few tons of top soil that came out of a hoarse show arena to top it of with. It makes for fast weed growth. Think hay seeds and :poop:

Hit 80* again today. Way to hot for this time of year, but heading back down to a high 40's high for Wednesday.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Gerrald

If the runt of the litter is falling way behind the pack and has had a trip to CPC, I would think it's bad fitment with the stock.

I've always had good results with aluminum tape bedding in a sloppy receiver fit. If you can fit a feeler gauge of any thickness down between the stock and receiver, tape bedding should help.
Vincent has a tutorial on it in SuperStock stickys . Bedding With Aluminum Tape | Rimfire Central Firearm Forum

Dr Gunner has a good write up on support pad testing somewhere. Shoot him a PM and he'll link you to it.

I have used aluminum tape and support pads in my 1022s and CZ with good results.

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
All things ready for an 8;00 take of tomorrow for the first steel shoot this year.

Got my bench out and set up at 25 yards today for a red dot zero check on the 44 Special, .357, and 45 LC. Ran a wheel full through each. Then two wheels full from each while standing on my uprights. As ready as I'll be for now. Weather sounds like drizzly getting to 60 if were lucky. Said to be a high 40* start.

· Premium Member
3,085 Posts
My range needs a little upkeep! View attachment 302192

They all need attention from time to time, but yours ain't bad at all. (y)
Can only get out to 50 yards with mine but it's better than not.

Congrats to D2 on the marathon Blackwolfe !

Looks like a good fair day was had M92

The steel shoot started out sunny and 53* yesterday. Within an hour it had risen to high 50's, dropped back down and the rain started and continued until I got home late afternoon.
Out of 11 shooters the highest score for the match was 31/40. Not unusual score and turnout for the first shoot.
I came in fourth over all with 26/40 ,which sometimes would be second place B class, but this time it jumped me into A.

1 - 20 of 289 Posts