Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The Watering Hole

303337 Views 18173 Replies 115 Participants Last post by  Al the Infidel
WELCOME TO THE WATERING HOLE

A stress-free place to gather and share whatever is on your mind! A fun place of mutual respect where you can hang your hat, vent, relax and shoot the bull for a while!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate that faith.

To all others, Happy Spring!

Easter symbolizes a new beginning, so it is fitting that TWH has a new beginning as well!
Along with RFC, TWH has been remodeled!

Actually, it can be anything you imagine it to be!

I am happy to announce that due to the increased bandwidth of the new RFC, there is no longer a need for the weekly closing and re-opening of TWH!!! After 10+ years of weekly "flipping" we now get to keep the doors open continuously! My sincere thanks to our moderators, especially Sophia, for making this possible!

I would also like to thank all the members who have kept this boat afloat for so long! We have become like family here, and now have a permanent residence! (y) While we have many long-time members who have been enjoying the company found in this amazing virtual bar, we also welcome all new folks. Jump right in! The first drink is always on the house and Veterans always have an open bar!
Al The Infidel (Tubby Slayer extraordinaire) is the bar manager.

So, let's get this re-opening celebration going! Set 'em up, Al! Drinks all around!!!
1 - 20 of 826 Posts

· Registered
980 Posts
In and went and done it…….finally bought/ordered a battery powered lawn mower. Purchasing a Kolbalt that is powered by two 24 volt batteries which will work just fine as all of my battery powered tools are 24 volt Kolbalts. Do have a five plus year old electric lawn mower that is working great but the weekly times two ie front yard and back yard reeling and unreeling the 100 foot long power cord has taken it toll on it and about once a year needing to be replaced and they aren’t cheap even from HF.

Sunny and into the 80’s for the next few days and then rain later in the week. Fun gear is all ready to go and squeezed in final scheduled practice for which ever match I attend next Sunday pending the weather.

· Registered
980 Posts
Kolbalt is Lowes private brand, right? I almost bought a battery mower but I got my gas one going. Battery mower is in my future, maybe Greenworks. Not cheap, about 5 bills.
The Kolbalt model purchased is one bill discounted as we message. Greenworks is good stuff and was considering that brand. Having a slew of 24 volt Kolbalt battery powered tools on hand was the deciding factor on purchasing their lawn mower. Had a battery powered mower twenty years ago but back then the challenge was in the battery life and finding locally available replacements.

· Registered
980 Posts
Yard mowed before the weekend and allergies have been beating me up since. Body aches galore. Still need to get in the attic again. One more cable run so we have hookups in every room, plus I need to replace one cable with a better quality one while I’m up there. More ibuprofen to help with the added aches and pains afterwards.

View attachment 299766
Another way of getting wiring from here to there especially in a attic or underneath a house is to use a kid rated power crossbow with a string attached to the end of the bolt. “Loose” the bolt and then use the aforementioned string to pull the wiring into position.

· Registered
980 Posts
I have mixed feelings about IT folks. Some are the most wonderful people on this plant, and a few are just the opposite. Got dragged into too much drama at one agency by an IT staff because the source of his existence was heavily dependent upon my Department funds. We were supposed to change all of our commercially available applications that were also the de facto standards in our line of work over to this one IT section that would replace everything we had with their handwritten applications. Too many roadblocks as they didn’t understand to the process and protocol as to how we did things along with they wanting to revert back to a main frame mentality versus the currently available open architecture. Was fortunate that my Department provided me with their support to say NO! to this attempt to do financial and technical harm to us. During my investigation spoke to another agency that pursued this route and their response was nothing short of it was one of the worse decisions they ever made when it came to software applications all written by in-house IT staff. In all fairness spoke with a bunch who do primarily research ie Lawrence Livermore Lab and they said custom written applications was ok because there was nothing commercially available to enable them in their line of work. So there you go. 😀

· Registered
980 Posts
Happy Anniversary, WS. 👍

LRS is a party of three with lots of 10pm plus wind. Started with the 6.5CM and managed two impacts on the 1000 yard silhouette target. Switch over to the .223 Wylde and eeked out an impact also on the 1000 yard target. Rest of the morning was spent with h .223 Wylde on all of the other LRS targets. Ending the day reshimming the scope on the .223 Wylde for just a smidgen more dial up travel. 🤔 Morning started off rather chilly then around noon warmed up and also became much more humid.

While resetting a few steel LRS targets, discovered someone between last Friday and today shot a hole through one of the 3/8” thick AR 500 steel targets on the 600 yard target line. Reported that to the front office and they’re reviewing the schedule records to try and narrow down who did the dirty and uncalled for deed.

Wook appreciate you revising your font color of choice. Makes it easier to enjoy your postings IMO. 👍

· Registered
980 Posts
😇😄
Whistling bottle rockets are verboten but two 2x4s smacked together with vigor are loud enough to hurt my ears and silence the raucous horde of starlings and blackbirds building nests in the surrounding pines, albeit temporarily the filthy animals.
Here you go Al. Wack your two sticks together like this and you can dance to it too. 😀

· Registered
980 Posts
moogoogaipin stocker 🙄

Eyes to the skies and wondering if and how much rain will be receiving this week. Snow pack could be more robust so we’ll see if Mother Nature will help us out this year. To the range for some more definitely beneficial practice with the long guns. E-message from PRS MD says it’ll be 80 rounds for the folks shooting open class and 64 rounds for the folks shooting prone this Sunday. There are potentially three stages whereas one would be shooting primarily from barricades and there is limited to no area there conducive to shoot prone (we’re in the Coastal Range mountains). Will be squaded with good folks that have seemingly gravitated together each match. Contemplating bringing the 6.5CM and the .223 Wylde along and decide that morning what the wind conditions for the day will be. Advantage of the smaller cartouch is it’s half the weight of the other and so less to tote over hill and dell. Disadvantages is dealing with the wind once past 600 yards and targets are anywhere from 200 to 900 yards. 🤔

· Registered
980 Posts
Although the Mark II has a cracked stock. I didn't notice it when I looked it over before doing paperwork. Not sure how I didn't see it. So now I'm dealing with trying to get that resolved.

View attachment 300340
I read on the internet that‘s what will happen whenever using a rifle to club squirrels. 🤔

Congrats on yer new ride, Al. 🚙😀👍

Trip to the range was very rewarding pinging away at the RF KYL target with a big handful of Autosmash, and verifying zero on the .223 Wylde having reshimed the scope yesterday. Used the 200, 300, and 400 yard steel targets over at the short range. Initial check yesterday was at fifty yards before and after the reshimming, and final check was on the four inch diameter steel target at 400 yards. With rain on it’s way both Thursday and Friday, and plan is to return to the range tomorrow for a morning at the LRS facility. Bringing both the 6.5 CM and the.223 Wylde but will focus on breaking the trigger and follow through with .223 Wylde. Might, just might shoot the 6.5CM at the 1000 yard target if the wind is greater than 10 mph on the Kestrel.

Had a very informative chat with one of the more accomplished pistol shooters in our immediate group. His 2011 is pretty much custom but recently has had issues with tolerance stacking as the gun wears. Fun conversation revolving around gunsmithing, fabrication, rate of fire, and accurac/precision. 😀

· Registered
980 Posts
One can also make pillars from round tubing and just cut to length.

LRS is a party of four and bunches of wind. Shooting just the .223 Wylde and able to put one on the 1000 yard target after chowing down on moi bougie breakfast. 😀

· Registered
980 Posts
Al, does your new truck still fit in your garage? Neighbor/friend traded in their five year old Ram with on going air suspension issues and new Ram is four inches longer overall than old one (nose and tail gate) thus no longer fits in garage with door closed.

· Registered
980 Posts
Saw the cardiologists today. Yes that is plural. EKG was good and BP in high range, typical when I see the doctor. BP meds adjusted to take out hyrdachlorothiacide (sp) since my Na (sodium for you non chemists) is consistently lower than normal. Oncologist told me to salt EVERYTHING. Heavily. Reminds me of a story:

When I was but a wee laddie, I think I was 3 or 4, I would eat salt straight out of the shaker. Not just a little, mind, like the little bit you put on the back of the hand for a shot tequila and lime. NO, we’re talking little fists full. And not occasionally either, we’re talking a couple of times, or more a day, every day.

Well, Mom didn’t think this was a such good thing for her precious little boy to be doing. So she diligently hid all the salt in the house and wouldn’t let me have any, except what I put on my food for meals.

This went on for a week or so, and this wee lad started getting lethargic and showing signs of some strange illness. So Mom being mom, she took me to my pediatrician. He check me out and then asked mom if anything had changed in my eating and drinking. She told him nothing had changed except she wouldn’t let me eat salt the way I want to. Well, the doc gave Mom a stern lecture on how little people eat what their bodies need and that SHE WAS TO LET ROCKY HAVE ALL THE SALT HE WANTS.

Guess I have had a sodium deficiency all my life, though I no longer salt ham when we have it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I will agree that most folks will eat what there body needs. Have been one to at least try most everything on the table but if it doesn’t sit well, won’t eat it again, and been pretty polite about that too.

My wife’s family tends to be pretty bossy and it came to the point at the dinner table we had a serious discussion regarding their constantly telling me what and what not to eat even though they cooked it and it was on the table. Asked them and mother in law if they were a degreed and license dietitian. Then said I understand their concerns but I’m an adult etc, got up from the table and just about left the house and property and for my wife to find her own ride home. 🤔

· Registered
980 Posts
About a third of an inch so far with a little bit more tonight. PRS course of fire stage instructions arrived today so started to transcribe optics dial ups etc on stage cards worn on a wrist coach. Close to forty people pre-registered so far for this coming Sunday’s PRS event.

· Registered
980 Posts
Nice break in the weather with the sun coming out and the hummingbird having some breakfast from the feeder. Screening hedge outside of the kitchen windows needed some trimming so out came the ladder and battery powered hedge trimmer and did so. 😀

· Registered
980 Posts
Range Report

The Mosquitoes won. No contest. At times the clouds of skeeters were so thick they obscured my front sight.

Big too. I saw one catch a clay mid air on the shotgun line and fly away with it.

Well, . . .

They won.

45acp loads shoot great out of all three pistols. I had about fifteen that were loaded too long, by a couple of thou. They wouldn't chamber in either the Kimber, or the Iver Johnson, but the RIA ate them up.

Years ago I installed a Wilson Combat adjustable trigger in the RIA. So today I decided to show it some love. Ordered some goodies. Starting with a new recoil spring. 20#'s. Some oversized controls, a new hammer, . . .

The RIA is the one with the Bomar Sight Rib on top, adding significant weight to the slide.

Looked at thumb rests. Two different styles I can see. One requires drilling into the frame, which I'm kinda liking the idea of. The other replaces the slide stop pin. I wonder about function issues with this one.

Leaning towards drilling holes in the frame.

I'm going to change the grips to some G-10's, and skateboard tape the foregrip area.
Good skeeter and range report, Don. If you can reload with bullets with the same ogive as the original 45acp that JMB designed the gun around, then they should chamber/load in all of your 45’s sans having to be selective of OAL versus specific gun. Another important 45acp tidbit is the magazine lips and the angle of the bullet coming out of the magazine.

Should have minimal issues with having the thumb rest will be affixed to the frame as it is a metal frame. Drilling the frame will have less potential problems than using the existing pins. Challenge is tolerance stocking with a pre drilled attachment versus the geometry of the existing drilled holes in the frame. Polymer frames and their flexing provide more challenges that will drive one bonkers.

I really like the various G10 grips I’ve accumulated.

No mama hummer nursing little ones pix TD?
Their nest was tucked away well enough that a picture with everyone home and feeding would not have worked too well.

1 - 20 of 826 Posts