Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to take the Suhl to the range yesterday afternoon. Shot approximately 400 rounds of Lapua and Eley through it matching lot numbers and tuner settings.

I finally figured out how it liked to be held and positioned on the bags. I thought a 10.5 lb. gun would be less sensitive, but it looks as if they're like people and want to be held in their own way.

After I found one particularily good lot number, I decided to shoot a USBR target for score. It scored 240 3x. Figuring I was on a roll with my second ever 240, I had to try one more. The next one scored 242 6x.

Needless to say, this Suhl has found a home.

Gary

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dwight,
I don't have a lot of detailed information on the Suhls. I've tried to research them but most of what I learned was from other shooters.

The rifle's action looks a lot like an Anschutz. Everyone I spoke to, told me that if the rifle shoots, do not change the barrel. Apparently, the factory barrels are as good as it gets. From what I've seen, most came into the country set up for position shooting and were adapted to bench rest. The action on this rifle is slick as a baby's butt coated with vaseline. The triggers are fully adjustable down to nearly an ounce.

Mine was made in 1976 and I believe they were last imported from Germany in the 80's.

Gary Mitchell has shot a Suhl for years and has won a lot of matches with it. I'm pretty sure Harry Deneen is shooting one also.

One of the reasons I began looking for one was that a lot of after market items weren't going to be purchased to make it into a competitive gun. Forester located this one for me while he was at a match in Georgia. Gary Mitchell had it and the rest is history.

Hope this helped a little. Maybe one of the smarter guys will pitch in and fill in the gaps and set me straight if I passed along erroneous info.

Gary

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I may be wrong but I think these Suhl 150's were the rifes the East Germans/Russians were using to win the shooting events in the 70's and 80's. They were imported after the Belin wall came down, I believe. I saw the my first ones at Davidsons in Greensboro, N.C. in 1986. I wish I had of bought a dozen!!! then!
Great rifles.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hey Kent,
Looks like we have our hands full now.Hillbilly and Renegade both have Suhls.And they haven't got them tuned yet!
Hillbilly,nice going on your new rifle.And the scores are very good.Let the good times roll.
M.C.:t

·
Registered
615 Posts
This is what I know: Suhl 150s were made in the former East Germany for the National rifle teams. Best I can tell, they were mostly individually made by gunsmiths from the Suhl region. Therefore, not all are exactly alike. They are sort of a copy of the Anschutz 54 actions. They started coming into this country after German re-unification and originally sold at a very reasonable price. Once the benchresters started to discover how accurate most of them are, the price went up pretty drastically. All of them have fantastic triggers, and some of them (I believe Gary's is one of them) have exceptionally accurate factory barrels--as good or better than the best custom-made barrels from the US. I would venture to say that more rimfire benchrest matches have been won by Gary Mitchell's "Old Blue" Suhl than by any other rifle in history.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Pdwight,

I've seen them on BRC clasifieds in the $900.00 range for a stock Suhl. Fully modified bench guns run $1,800.00 and up. There is a stock one for sale over there now.

Ken

PS: Gary, didn't I tell you that Suhl would shoot by itself?:D ;)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Pinball, you're right. Looks like it's an arms race. I sent the money off today for a new 40X Remington to make a BR gun out of. I gotta play catch up with you guys. I got lucky and found some more ''good" ammo that seems as good as the old Lapua I ran out of. The Suhl's are tough--but so are all the others! The 10/22's are doing pretty well too! It's good to see everyone doing so well--hunting ammo is the stressful part:D
Kent

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, I'll have to say you're right. They do most of the work as long as they're fed a good diet.

Thanks for the history lesson. I could not find hardly anything on these rifles.

Dwight, I ran across a couple more before settling on this one that were in the $1400 range w/o scope or tuner. I bought this one because Gary Mitchell shot and won a match with it...it was a proven shooter. The endorsement from him was better than shooting it myself. If you're going to look for one, try to shoot it before buying it.

Is it just me noticing this? I only started shooting these email matches 3 months ago. In that short time period, scores have shot up (pun intended) and folks are getting better and better equipment. It looks like this email match has spawned a brand new group of benchrest shooters that will go on to sanctioned matches. Personally, I'm going to get started very soon.

Gary

·
Registered
357 Posts
Gary,
If you're already shooting 240's on a USBR target with your new baby, you're going to do very well in sanctioned competition. I started shooting in IR 50/50 about a week after I got my Suhl, took a second in 10.5 lb class with it in my second match, and my best USBR score is only 236-8x. I know, I know, that's a pretty good score for all you non-Suhl owners, but it seems to be kind of substandard for a Suhl:D Maybe it's because mine doesn't have a tuner on it. Or it could be that Gary and Ken are just better shooters than me:t

As far as price, mine was factory, except for a nice paint job. I traded a 10/22 I built and $500 for it, bought a used Lee Six stock from Bill Myers for $165, bedded it myself, and found a used 10x40x50 Tasco World Class Plus scope for $150.:D

Wait a minute....what am I doing???? Suhls suck. Don't buy one! Especially if you are planning on shooting it in the e-mail match, and you live somewhere other than NY!

:D :D Renegade

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Renegade,
You have a valid point. Don't buy Suhls! That would only make the price go up...I already want another one for a spare.

Since I'm the only Volunteer to show up lately in these matches, my great state needed all the help it can get. So, I had to have a self-shooter. The gun gets all the credit. Gary Mitchell told me that he thinks his Suhl has eyes of its own. Maybe this one hasn't reached middle age yet too.

I'll probably be as nervous as a cat in a dog pound at my first match. Maybe they'll let me shoot 100 yd targets as a handicap.

·
34 Posts
I have owned 4 Suhl 150's through the years, the first two I gave $325 each the the third I gave $750 for and sold it to Renegade after 3 years, and finding an all original gun ($1,000.00). I had saved the leather case, and Peep site kit, from my first one. I wanted to have one that was all original. I have shot the same with all of them, the last two at 50yds off leather I can normally shoot 240 - 242 , 10 - 12 x's not enough to even place here, but I have alot of fun

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
You guys are right. The e-mail matches have stepped up a couple of notches in the past several months. Not that I'm complaining, my 10/22 still does a pretty good job against most of you guys. I'm even getting the itch for a really good bolt gun and am going to have Frank Terrell see what can be done with my Stevens to make it shoot better. It shoots pretty well as is and will shoot in the mid 240s. But I think with proper bedding and a little more scope it'll shoot a 250 or two. JL

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JL,
If it itches...ya gotta scratch it.

I never thought I'd hear you say you're interested in a bolt gun though.:p Wow! Your signature line level may come up plumb after all.:D :p ;)

Another hat in the ring to keep things interesting. :t

Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.