Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ahhh, a pleasant experience today.

I was on the search for some Aguila ammo. It turns out that there's a shop about an hour from the house that is a dealer. I called last week, got a lady that was pleasant, she said yes they had it, could get me a case, and gave me the prices.

so, me and the kid headed that way this afternoon. I walked in and both him and her were pleasant and easy to deal with. We got the ammo, and then got to shooting the breeze. We talked rifles, pistols, ammo, velocities, just about everything. By the time it was all over (2 hrs later) I'd been in possesion of an AR-15 (swweeeet!!) and held every Kimber .45 pistol in the showcase that he had, and an additional one in back that was sold (yep, I'm gonna have one soon!!). We'd talked about the build and everything else, then we moved down to the rimfire pistols which he let me check out each one of those.

Before I'd left, he made a call to the distributor to make sure he could get me a case of ammo if I wanted it, and wants me to call tomorrow and let him know either way, and he'll get it for me ASAP. He can't beat the price I paid for the last case (and he did seem concerned about that) but that's fine with me, his hospitality means a lot more than a few extra bucks. In this case I won't mind giving it to him..

very good experience..

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
ahhh, a pleasant experience today.

Strat,
that my friend, was priceless!

:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I went looking for my first rifle Yesterday.

I went to 4 Places before I decided to buy.

I was in the market for either a Marlin60 or 795 or a Ruger10/22.

Now I am only 19 years old, and kind of shorter so I look around 17. I do look younger, but should that effect service?

First stop was The Outdoorsman. The man that was behind the counter was helping someone out with a handgun. I was just browsing through the rifle selection. Well after the guy he was helping left, I was still looking at the rifle selection. They had 1 bolt action CZ and a few different marlins. Well this guy didn’t seem to even want to talk to me, didn’t greet me or anything just kind of like yea yea get out of my store I felt really uncomfortable. So I left. (locally owned. 3 miles away.)

Second Stop was Big 5 Sporting Goods. The guy behind the counter was actually very nice. He asked if I wanted help, and said yes I was looking for a .22LR for recreational target shooing. He talked about the Remington and how the clips wouldn’t feed because they were cheap, and how he liked the Marlin Bolt action, and heard the rugers were good. Although he never really answered my question. wasn’t buying there.(15 miles away.)

Third stop was Four Season Outfitters. This place is high dollar. I could tell that. There were a few people in there. I was looking at there rifle selection behind there counter, and an older man said May I help you. I ask what he suggested I get in a .22LR Either a marlin or a ruger10/22 and what would he suggest for recreational target shooting. He said 10/22 bluntly and I ask the price and he just looks at me, and I look at the tag and I took down the price and I said I am just currently price shopping he said ok like he could care less. Then I left. (locally owned) (19 miles away)

Fourth Stop was Range Master(Indoor shooting range, and they exclusively serve local law enforcement): This place is kind of intimidating Major bars on all the windows, and you have to ring a bell for them to unlock the door. I get in there, there’s a few people in there getting help, and a younger man about 24 25 asks me right away if I need anything. I said I was looking for a .22LR and was looking at the Marlin and the Ruger. Which would he suggest, right away he said ruger gave some reasons, cant remember quite what he said. But anyway he was really nice about everything. He had to leave and he got me started on the paperwork, and introduced me to someone else, and the other man who finished the paperwork and such was nice also. (locally owned) (23 miles away.)

I ended up getting a Ruger 10/22 Stainless with Synthetic stock.

To bad I have to wait 10 days.

I think I learnd one thing that day: It seems a lot of gunshop owners think that unless your going to buy something, your not worth dealing with.

being nice sells.

-

Central Coast California

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
stratcat's experience

Reasons you stated are why I buy almost all my guns and most ammo about 15 miles south of where I live instead of "The World's Largest Outdoor Store".
Good folks. Knowledgeable folks and always a cup of coffee and a kind word. Sometimes lowest price just doesn't seem all that important. This shop is competitve on pricing, but not always the lowest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad to hear someone is have fun at gun shops. I on the other hand or should say coast am still looking. OK People in San Diego where are the good gun shops. POST EM UP!! I know your out there lurking!!

(CRY BABY MODE ON) WWWAAAA I want a good gun shop!! WHHHAAAA!!! (CRY BABY MODE OFF)

Thank you I will now go away and pout

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Well, the only gun shop in Granbury is not good, the guy that runs the place isn't what you would call ....... friendly. I could tell you horror stories but that would take way too long.

Manhattan on the other hand has one gun shop too. Jody and I made a short visit and they seemed quite friendly. This could be a good thing!

Dave Z.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well guys, the shop closer sells Kimbers but don't want you touching them until you actually buy it, I can't spend that kind of money without knowing what I'm getting. Also that shop has a big markup.

this new guy though, let me fondle the goods first, a big plus in my book, I've sat here and looked through the catalog that he's given me and have decided I'm going to buy two more pistols in my life. A kimber .45 and one of their .22 pistols, both will be purchased from him sometime this fall, until then, I'll go in and drool weekly :D

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Careful stratcat, he might want to charge you a vistors fee if you go in to much to see your future purchase :D

Dave Z.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LarMoeCur said:
OK People in San Diego where are the good gun shops. POST EM UP!! I know your out there lurking!!

there is one I had good luck with in El Cajon I think it is just El Cajon Guns but it has ben over two years sence I have lived in your over Lawed state of Ca.:D

paper cutter

·
Registered
450 Posts
Find a helpful, friendly FFL dealer.

Living in a large city I have several gunshops to pick and shop. While searching the Gunbroker site I located a FFL dealer near my home. Called to check regarding prices, shipment, etc. Found out he could purchase the rifle I wanted at HIS cost, plus $20 and tax. It was a lot cheaper than a gun store, so I went that route. That experience told me to pick a firearm, call the FFL dealer, and complete the transaction. :t

·
Registered
235 Posts
We are very fortunate here. I have bought guns from several local shops, but one stands out. The owners are very friendly and they go the extra mile to be helpful, regardless if there is a sale to come or not. Their prices are competitive with any shop, but not WallyWorld. But then, the clerk at Wallyworld won't give me a tip on where the coyotes are, or what custom trigger works best with a given rifle.

The local Super Sporting Goods store has a beautiful new building and great selection, but their prices are high and you have to wear a red rotating beacon to get a salesman's attention.

I'll get my guns and ammo from the guy in the little shop, who remembers my name and who actually cares whether or not I come back.

We are lucky to have "Shirts and Shooters" in LeMars, Iowa.:t

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
I know the feeling of being looked at like a social reject when you're shopping for a weapon. Some store employees have a real don't care attitude. The reasons I find for this attitude are: they're there just to make 8 hours, They don't know sh*t, They own the place or think they're smarter than you, They ARE social rejects with no ability to deal with public. I know some sales persons that are as usless as a white dog turd.
I've got a gunshop that I'm actually scared to go in because every time I do it costs me money. These guys are the greatest. Last Monday I went in to get a "Goldenrod Dehumidifier" for the gun safe And got to looking at a new Ruger MKII Target model, I told the ol' boy I'd give him $225 for it, just kidding. He said, add $20 to it and it's yours. Well hell, you know what happened, I was filling out paper within 2 minutes. :D Bill

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
REDTIP17 said:
I've got a gunshop that I'm actually scared to go in because every time I do it costs me money. These guys are the greatest. Last Monday I went in to get a "Goldenrod Dehumidifier" for the gun safe And got to looking at a new Ruger MKII Target model, I told the ol' boy I'd give him $225 for it, just kidding. He said, add $20 to it and it's yours. Well hell, you know what happened, I was filling out paper within 2 minutes. :D Bill
Wow does that ring a bell! Back when I was in Florida and single I had a much more extensive collection. Part of the reason for it was Wain Roberts Firearms in Pinellas Park. I started dealing with them and then ended up working at the automotive shop across the street from them and it got even worse. One of the guys (Dave S.) knew that from time to time all he had to do was pull a gun out and show it to me and it was going to end up leaving with me (examples S&W 627, 1965 vintage Colt National Match 45 are just a couple of em). I had bought guns personally owned by employees there (S&W 25-2 was one of em) so I can relate. I miss the service and the friendships, the stories that can be told from visits there etc etc etc ......

Dave Z.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good gun shop, Van Meter Iowa

My all time favorite is Gillette's Trading Post in Van Meter, Iowa. He is a full-time National Guardsman, so has freakish open hours, (3:30 pm to ???? plus most Saturdays), but his store is worth going into just to look around. AND, he knows a thing or two. And has some extremely interested used pieces at decent prices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone know a good gunshop in the Columbus, Georgia area? I do not mind driving for an hour to get there. The one shop I go to here (Shooters of Columbus) is pretty good, I would just like to be able to shop around a little.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
On the negative side.......I have a C&R but use a local Dealer to buy rifles that arn't. Yesterday I picked up 2 .22's that I had bought on the internet auctions. Owner charged me $50. $20 transfer fee for each rifle, that's OK, but charged be for 2 phone calls $10, when he only had to made one call. Lost a good customer over a measely 5 bucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. Everyone... I've been reading posts for a few days now but haven't posted till now. I live in southern california and there are 2 places that I shop for firearms. One of them is a locally owned store about 25 miles from where I live called Pacific Sporting Arms. Very small place but very good prices and service. I go there for all of my clay shooting.

The place where I get pretty much everything else is Turners Outdoorsman. Sure it's a chain but the service there is great... at least the one that I go to. I've been to several of their other branches but most people there have been jerks. The one I go to is in Norwalk, CA and is only about 5 miles from my house.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Strat, your story illustrates perectly why we should all patronize our local gun shops (& other local merchants, for that matter). You will never get that kind of service in the "Super Stores". I think you should give them a plug, though - Name, address, phone no., etc. You may have some other shooters within easy driving distance of them also. Plus, it sounds like they deserve the free advertising.............

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Forum Rules

claybuster,

Sounds to me like the guy does a pretty good job and deserves the business. BUT I suggest that the shops name and the city its located in is enough. Reason for this is listed below and came from the forum rules.

5. The posting of individuals private information, such as name, address, phone number, etc. without the permission of the person involved will not be permitted.

You agree, through your use of these forums, that you will not post any material which is ........ ........ advertisements,........ and solicitations are also inappropriate to these forums.

Once again, its not because the shop Stratcat mentioned isn't deserving.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
good idea Claybuster, but after reading GMCFixer's post, I am in agreement with him. If anyone is in the IL area, Chicagoland specifically or even in Indiana and they want the information on this guy, they can PM me, I have no problem with spreading the word around for someone that seems to do me good, but I will abide by the rules of the forum also.

(is that cool Dave?)

very cool guy, I talked to him yesterday again, he put a case of ammo on order for me, we also talked about the Kimbers, and he's telling me to buy the .45 and the barrel kit for the .22 not both guns, and he's making perfect sense. It's going to cost him a bit of money, but I appreciate his insight and thoughts on it, and I'm sure if his attitude stays this way it'll make him more money in the long run.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.