Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
General Nuisance / Major Indifference
13,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took 2 nearly identical rifles (brand/caliber etc.) out to the range today. One seems to shoot much better. Oh, same ammo...

If I sell the under performing rifle, I'd like to swap stocks with the one that shoots really well.

Odd the plastic stock rifle shoots better than the laminate stock.

Any chance I spoil my good shooter by swapping stocks?

(oh, I don't want to spend a ton of time and $$ on this rifle!)

·
Premium Member
9,035 Posts
I took 2 nearly identical rifles (brand/caliber etc.) out to the range today. One seems to shoot much better. Oh, same ammo...

If I sell the under performing rifle, I'd like to swap stocks with the one that shoots really well.

Odd the plastic stock rifle shoots better than the laminate stock.

Any chance I spoil my good shooter by swapping stocks?

(oh, I don't want to spend a ton of time and $$ on this rifle!)
Go ahead and make the swap, then go shoot 'em again before you decide.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Start with sliding a dollar bill up the barrel to see if the barrel is free floating. Laminate stocks are more prone to warping than plastic stocks. You may just need a little sanding under the barrel to pick up it's performance.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It may simply be the barrels.
Even if the manufacture and model is the same, it doesn't matter.
Each barrel is reamed separately and possible with different reamers and on different machines, even if they were machined on the same day.

·
13,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may simply be the barrels.
Even if the manufacture and model is the same, it doesn't matter.
Each barrel is reamed separately and possible with different reamers and on different machines, even if they were machined on the same day.
Uggh... I took the bolt and barrel assembly of the rifle that shot well and put it into the wood stock. (after cleaning the silly things for 3 hours) :mad:

impossible to answer without much trial + error - poor performer could shoot better then the more accurate one with different ammo + numerous other variables like action screw tension + etc. -
Sheeh I'm getting to the point I don't remember which ammo shoots well in what rifle! Yesterday I took 3 types. I know the CCI Green stuff patterns like a shotgun!

·
Premium Member
5,383 Posts
Good morning Tim. Have you considered writing things down in a notebook? We're getting to that stage in life where short term memory loss almost becomes a given.

And if you're going to shoot the messenger please use the more accurate rifle :p

Frank the Helpful

·
13,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good morning Tim. Have you considered writing things down in a notebook? We're getting to that stage in life where short term memory loss almost becomes a given.

And if you're going to shoot the messenger please use the more accurate rifle :p

Frank the Helpful
Dear Frank The Helpful!

I think I have 8-9 597's Need to pare that down to 3-4. I have spent far far too much time on this already. So now I take painters tape and write 'keep' or 'sell' as needed. I'm not gonna live long enough to get these all sorted out!

·
13,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For Frank

Writing Stuff Down

Didn't change anything and these rifles HATE HATE HATE 45gr ammo. It's official, nothing is more fussy than .22 WMR

Nothing

·
Premium Member
5,383 Posts
That looks like a fine day off at the range Flys! Blue skies, white puffies, and some pew pew...I'm jealous :)

Frank

·
Registered
2,733 Posts

Frank the Helpful
If I'm the messenger I want him to use the inaccurate one.

·
13,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm gonna do a poll with 4 digits of the s/n. Keep or Sell. I'm over messing with these rifles!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.