Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

The BEST Screwdriver brand

1329 Views 17 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  C.C.
I am an admitted tool junkie. You know the kind a guy that is hynotized by the insides of a Snap-on truck. Has wrench organizers and three roll aways full of tools. I'm gonna buy gunsmith screwdrivers (my color coded Snap-Ons don't cut it!). What is the best brand? :rolleyes:
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,871 Posts
Sounds like you have found out a lot of the gun screws have a very thin slot, that normal screwdrivers just dont fit right. Browning is one of the worst I have found, some of their screws you'd be lucky to get a knife blade in. Here's a link to Brownells for the set I use, they also have the Magna-Tip sets which are pretty good also, and they carry Grace gunsmith screwdrivers which are a little cheaper but work fine. Hope it helps.

Brownells

· Registered
1,659 Posts
I have a "Chapman" set of bits, handle & ratchet (yellow plastic case). This has served me well for almost 20 years.

The only thing it wouldn't fit is the receiver screws in a Browning Auto5 shotgun. I ended up grinding an old screwdriver to fit this application.

Rod. :)

· Registered
1,659 Posts
I had to tear down my A5 because the notch on the hammer that contacts the sear broke. Its an old light 20 ga produced in 1966.

I was lucky to find a thread on another forum that gave detailed instructions with pics. Once I got into it I removed all the components for a total cleaning & lubrication. This was not as bad a job as I thought it would be. I took my time & double checked everything before assembling. I was amazed at the quality & precision machining encountered on this gun. The screws & the locking screws that retain them are a great idea but sadly I suppose this is too expensive to employ on modern guns.

Once I was done with the mechanicals I decided to strip the stock & forend & refinished them with five coats of tung oil. I like to think it looks better than new.

I have newer shotguns including a Beretta AL391 Gold Sporting it is a great gun & I use it a lot, however the old A5 is still a favourite.

Sorry about such a long post & I am not trying to hijack this thread. :1t

Rod. :)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Narrowed down to three

My quest for the ultimate gunsmith screwdriver has narrowed to 3:
Bonanza/Forster
Brownell's
Pachmayr
All are fixed handles, I don't like the removable tips. Right now I am leaning towards the Brownell's. I think it's because they cost more, they must be better? :bonk:

· Registered
2,749 Posts
Used my Brownell's set for years, till the handle disappeared. I got a B-Square gunsmith screwdriver set, which had a much more comfortable handle, and lots of bits--it will fit everything I own, from model airplane engines to guns. It had a couple of "soft" bits: the #10 Torx, which my son, the MOOSE twisted about 20 degrees around the axis, :rolleyes: and a thin bladed bit that displayed the most graceful s curve. They told me they had trouble with some of their sets a while ago, and to return it. They sent me a brand new set. Lots of bits, and all my Brownell's bits work just fine. Thank you, B Square! :t :t

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.